Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to hook up the following items.
1.Cig lighter to pawer my cell phone
2 Some type of kill switch to keep the engine from starting
3 Radar detector hook up
I am looking for the cleanest way to hook these items with out causing damage to the bike.Thanks for the help I have recieved in the last 2 weeks or so it makes a difference

·
Registered
145 Posts
There was a guy on ebay selling something to use. Your 7 comes with the acc. leads next to the battery. I had a buddy hook a simple cig. lighter from Wal-Mart with a inline fuse. You could also buy a cordless detector, which I had mounted to the fairing bracket. Just my 2cents on the detector, you will not hear it, and in the sun the lights might be hard to see. I got pulled over one time on the highway while in full tuck (laying on the tank), never saw the cop, and just happened to look down at the lights as they were flashing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering what those wires were for I was guessing that they may just be for dc power are both leads + The guy you spoke of on ebay what exactly was he selling?I read something about a radar detector that sends signal in your helmet and can view on the sheild dont know much about it not a must have item now

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
You can do it two ways, the ACC way or the direct battery way. I would do the direct battery way with an inline fuse, only because you wouldnt want to fry the wiring harness should something go wrong.
A friend of mine with an R6 fried a few leads on his bike because he integrated the wires to "something" else. Eventually it lead to where his speedo was jakked, it wouldnt start and finally the leads fried. Run direct and when the access isnt used, it doesnt suck juice.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Either way its going to consume power regardless of which way you wire it. Just remember Motorcycles dont have the charging capacity of a full car, so keep the accessories minimum.
I know a guy who has all the lights, bells and whistles when he leaves his shit on for 30 minutes he has to jumpstart his bike, at the end it will end up weakening and killing his battery as well as alternator. His bike is a 2002 ZX6.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the imput.I am installing for emergancy only if my phone goes dead etc.I hope Ill never need it but it would a big help if I do.Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've run my GPS, and 80watt amp numerous times together on my 6e. It's usually fine as long as you're not doing it constantly and with the bike off. But do be careful, theres only about 5 amps reserve on most of these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts