Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and hopefully last - my last off was a low-side on a 1986 Ninja 250. I think I was 20 last go around?

Anyway, riding with a friend to meet some other friends in Bryson City, passing through a small town in 'rush hour' traffic when a cager in the right lane beside me comes across my lane turning left trying to make a gas station entrance. There are 5 lanes of traffic, two in each direction and one turning lane. He clips my bike and I go over the bars from the impact - I land on my hands and knees - full gear so just bumps and bruises, and one badly sprained or broken finger.

Guy apologizes, police show up and write report. Guy felt remorseful, and was 'of a certain age' so I was not an a-hole about it.

So fast forward ten days later - no contact from the guy, nothing from his insurance. I had to wait until I got the accident report to get his info (I was too worried about myself, the bike and the outcome of my trip at the time). His plates were from one state, his license and home address from another, and his phone number with yet another state's area code. Seems realllly fishy.

So I called his insurance, gave them his info and believe it or not THEY did not even have his updated home address?!? I started a claim and I am waiting to hear back.

I have my bike in the shop getting an estimate, and I hope his insurance (turns out he has Farmers, but he told me at the scene Geico - again WTF)is current and that they pay for the damages. Also hope they cover my gear, as it was the third time I had worn those gloves.

I had on a Tourmaster Sonora jacket, Tourmaster Caliber pants, and Cortech Adrenaline gloves, Shoei helmet and Sidi boots. All held up well and kept it from being worse than it could have been. I was still sore for days, and still have pain in my back and finger that I will get checked if it doesn't pass.

So, my advice to anyone involved in an accident - get the person's info early - pics of the damage, their driver's license, plates, VIN, etc. If something is amiss, point it out to the police. On top of the illegal turn he made which led to the accident, his tags must be registered in the state of residency within 30 days else he can be fined for that. Also, if I had seen his insurance card I would have known something was up when he mentioned Geico - because the card he gave the officer clearly had Farmers Insurance on it.

Take pics of any injuries you have, your vehicle, and get names of witnesses with contact info if possible. If there is a dispute or you need leverage with the insurance company, any one of those things can and likely will help. Contact *your* insurance, even if you are not at fault. If the other guy's insurance will not handle the claim to your satisfaction, file with your own insurance and let them take the other party to task.

I did take tons of pics of my hand, the large bruises I had from the accident and the damage to the bike itself. For my back, I think a chiro could fix me up, and no outward signs of injury there.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Glad you're alright, looks like proper gear did its job well.

I was still sore for days, and still have pain in my back and finger that I will get checked if it doesn't pass.
I'd get that checked out as soon as possible, especially considering your back. A doctor may prescribe some minor physical therapy (probably after x-rays) that can help make sure the problem doesn't worsen over time and also help you heal more quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts