Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was this year my job offered “accident insurance” in addition to the disability insurance we already have.

I was thinking about it because my disability will start paying about 6 months after (if) an event happens. Accident insurance was offered for months 0-6 so you won’t miss a car, house, or other payment.

How many of you guys have accident insurance in addition to disability? What do you think?

Thanks.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
CA has short-term disability insurance. Check that out before spending extra $$ on accident insurance. Given the short-term coverage and low probability of being disabled in an accident, I would imagine that accident insurance is relatively inexpensive. Also make sure that there isn't an exclusion for motorcycles or other "hazardous" activities like sky diving. :)
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RayOSV said:
CA has short-term disability insurance. Check that out before spending extra $$ on accident insurance. Given the short-term coverage and low probability of being disabled in an accident, I would imagine that accident insurance is relatively inexpensive. Also make sure that there isn't an exclusion for motorcycles or other "hazardous" activities like sky diving. :)
Whoa, thanks Ray. I guess I should recehck my paycheck and see if I can actually use that CA tax stuff I've been contributing to.

Is CA short term disability insurance "Ca State Dis Tax"?
It might be "OASDI" too.

Thanks again.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
Whoa, thanks Ray. I guess I should recehck my paycheck and see if I can actually use that CA tax stuff I've been contributing to.

Is CA short term disability insurance "Ca State Dis Tax"?
It might be "OASDI" too.

Thanks again.
It could be either one. SDI = state disability insurance and it's probably "CASDI". Ask someone (human resources usually) at your place of work what kind of short/long term disability coverage there is (what coverage do you get for the premiums you pay in automatic payroll dedcutions).

Also be aware that most disability coverage pays some percentage (50 - 66% ?) of your usualy salary. If you really want 100% of your salary covered, it may take both disability and accident insurance. One more thing to consider is where/how the accident happens. If it happens at work or is work related, worker's comp usually kicks in. If another driver is at fault, their liability insurance would provide some payment. Not a simple thing to consider. How are you more likely to become disabled?

One last thing - it's good that you're considering disability as I think one is much more likely to become disabled than to die. :(
 

·
Ducati 696 Rider
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RayOSV said:
It could be either one. SDI = state disability insurance and it's probably "CASDI". Ask someone (human resources usually) at your place of work what kind of short/long term disability coverage there is (what coverage do you get for the premiums you pay in automatic payroll dedcutions).

Also be aware that most disability coverage pays some percentage (50 - 66% ?) of your usualy salary. If you really want 100% of your salary covered, it may take both disability and accident insurance. One more thing to consider is where/how the accident happens. If it happens at work or is work related, worker's comp usually kicks in. If another driver is at fault, their liability insurance would provide some payment. Not a simple thing to consider. How are you more likely to become disabled?

One last thing - it's good that you're considering disability as I think one is much more likely to become disabled than to die. :(
I already have the life insurance covered, my work does 66% of salary for disability, now I'm covering for the other 34%. There's no way I'm gonna let anything happen to all the stuff I worked for (home, cars, bike).
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top