Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to remove the seat to get to the battery ? If so , do i use the ignition key or another key?

Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
The battery is under the tank.
To fold open the tank you surely have to remove the seat and remove the
quarter covers of the fairing.
I only have one key for all locks (tank, seat, ignition).
Do you have more?

Look at the Yamaha Parts Catalog:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

I wonder why you don't look into the user manual?

Details like this you'll find there.

Have fun

gerd

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Read your owner's manual. Directions are in there.

Like Vaillant said, remove the seat, removed the two side fairings that 'hug' the tank, removed the two socket head cap screws at the end of the tank closest to the bars, and pivot the tank up.

When you put the tank back down, be sure that the hoses attached to the bottom dont' get kinked or your bike will die and you'll be pissed.

All the tools you need to do this are in your tool kit under the seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To get to the battery you do have to take off the seat and the inner part of the fairing, so that you can lift the tank and access it. I know because I had to jump start my bike once. It is a pain, but after you've done it once it gets easier. The last time I did it I was able to take it apart, jump the bike, and put it back together in less than 30 minutes. I am looking into putting remote battery terminals somewhere on the bike in case I have to do it again.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Kpetrey said:
Do I need to remove the seat to get to the battery ? If so , do i use the ignition key or another key?

Thank you
You wouldn't by chance be getting your brothers bike ready to ship over seas would you?

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Do yourself a favor and use something to keep the tank propped up while working in the battery area. I use a 1"x1" piece of wood about 1 1/2 feet long to keep the tank up. This will make life alot easier.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually, You dont need to remove the fairng parts to remove the tank.
I got a tip from my mechanic.

Remove the two bolts holding the front of the tank, and remove the rear bolt.

Then you lift the rear up at bit, and pull the tank backwards until it is free from the fairing.
Raise the tank over fairing level, pull the tank forwards again, and place the rear where it usually sits.
Then you can raise the tank as normal and remove it when disconnecting the hoses, wires etc.

It is much easier than what the manuel says. I think the two fairing parts i a pain in the ass, and you easily scratch the plastic.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
oelhunden said:
Remove the two bolts holding the front of the tank, and remove the rear bolt.
Then you lift the rear up at bit, and pull the tank backwards until it is free from the fairing.
Raise the tank over fairing level, pull the tank forwards again, and place the rear where it usually sits.
I've done it a few times like that. The hardest part is not dropping the tank while trying to put the rear bolt back in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Damn, when I put my alarm on I lifted the tank and didn't even think of taking the fairings off. I just took the bolts out and played with it until I got it out. Guess that is what happens when I try to do things without reading how it is suppose to be done. Never been one for directions. Anyway it is actually pretty easy to get the tank out without taking any fairings off.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I removed my fuel tank to look at the battery, and I didn't see anything under it but a rusty panel that said it was proudly manufactured by union workers in Chicago. What gives?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I removed my fuel tank to look at the battery, and I didn't see anything under it but a rusty panel that said it was proudly manufacturered by union workers in Chicago. What gives?
:3eek

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Oh, you meant the tank of the Biiiike.... well theres an afternoon wasted on my Ford once again...

Binary Jay said:
I removed my fuel tank to look at the battery, and I didn't see anything under it but a rusty panel that said it was proudly manufactured by union workers in Chicago. What gives?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts