Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats what EVERYONE who rides a motorcycle on the street has to figure out for themselves.

Gear Nazis, Flip-Flop wearers and in-betweeners nobody can tell a person what is "safe" or "appropriate" in this thing we enjoy. There is no way to ensure your safety. In the end it comes down to your own personal beliefs regarding your life and how prepared you are. That said I think how you ride/what you ride/what you wear when you ride, should correlate with how prepared you are should something happen.

From an accident with minor injuries to death, get your affairs in order. Life insurance. Medical Insurance. Vehicle Insurance. Living Wills. Medical Surrogates. I cannot stress enough to you to spell these things out and have them on record.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nobody can dodge that one magic bullit with your name on it, but you can cut the odds way down thinking,thinking,gear, and always look for a way out and dont put yourself in bad situations.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
where's my :popcorn here we go again......

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
telejojo said:
Nobody can dodge that one magic bullit with your name on it, but you can cut the odds way down thinking,thinking,gear, and always look for a way out and dont put yourself in bad situations.
Gear doesn't prevent accidents... It only mitigates the resulting injury.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good news guys. . .I'll be taking out a life insurance policy on myself, and I'm auctioning off the benefactor position. This will be a $10,000 policy with AD&D. That means when I hit the pavement, You cash in $20,000!!!! So $5000 can get you $20,000. . . what do you think?

all those guys out there who insist riding without gear will kill, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is!!!

:cheers

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Good news guys. . .I'll be taking out a life insurance policy on myself, and I'm auctioning off the benefactor position. This will be a $10,000 policy with AD&D. That means when I hit the pavement, You cash in $20,000!!!! So $5000 can get you $20,000. . . what do you think?

all those guys out there who insist riding without gear will kill, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is!!!

I'm in! Where do you live so I can WD40 your tires and loosen pinch bolts. :cheers

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
Although technically it can. Riding jacket and gloves on a cool night. Less of a chance of hypothermia --> fatigure --> accident because you were drowsey.

Gear does a few things than just mitigating injuries as a result of falling. Minimizes small impacts by bugs, birds, rocks and debris from road/vehicles. Keeps you warm or cool while riding. Some gear has visible queues (e.g. reflective gear) to make you more visible to drivers.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Riding w/o gear doesn't kill.

Suffering a fatal injurty that would otherwise be a non-fatal or non-injury if you were riding proper gear does kill.

From yesterday's Metro (Boston Edition), there was a posting on a couple that spilled on their crusier w/o gear, no helmets. Passenger was killed as a result of head injuries, rider is still in intensive care. Up in NH, no helmet law, I believe they were from MA and crusing around Hampton Beach.

So go ahead and roll the dice!

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
H2Omax1 said:

Who's going to pay the premiums and what guarantee do we have that you will? $20,000 isn't very much...I have almost $1,000,000 in life insurance, part of it through my work, and part of it purchased personally. I could tell someone that I would make them the benefactor, but in the end, my wife and children will get the money.

PS - I'm worth more dead than alive...somebody shoot me! :twofinger

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I can't believe some people walk around without health insurance. Since I'm a student, I'm still covered under my parent's policy. When I graduate, health insurance will be my top priority when getting a job. A guy I know just crashed his Road King. He had no health coverage and his hospital bills are forcing him to shut down his company but then again he'd have to shut down anyway since he's paralized from the shoulders down.

The risk of riding is totally acceptable to me. I'm very aware of the dangers and if I had to die tomorrow, it would be on my motorcycle enjoying the ride because it's the love of my life.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
mikem317 said:
Although technically it can. Riding jacket and gloves on a cool night. Less of a chance of hypothermia --> fatigure --> accident because you were drowsey.

Gear does a few things than just mitigating injuries as a result of falling. Minimizes small impacts by bugs, birds, rocks and debris from road/vehicles. Keeps you warm or cool while riding. Some gear has visible queues (e.g. reflective gear) to make you more visible to drivers.
Oh man, could you possibly present a more semantical argument? If it's cold enough to get hypothermia, and you're not wearing a jacket. (ANY kind of jacket, doesn't have to be armored and leather) then you deserve hypothermia.

How does gear keep you from getting drowsy?

Yes it will help deflect small debris, no question there. But I've never had a bug, rock, bird, etc. cause an accident, or even come close.

Yes some gear does have reflective qualities. So do most motorcycles before the cool crowd takes them off and polishes the underlying aluminum. :D

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
Oh man, could you possibly present a more semantical argument? If it's cold enough to get hypothermia, and you're not wearing a jacket. (ANY kind of jacket, doesn't have to be armored and leather) then you deserve hypothermia.

How does gear keep you from getting drowsy?

Yes it will help deflect small debris, no question there. But I've never had a bug, rock, bird, etc. cause an accident, or even come close.

Yes some gear does have reflective qualities. So do most motorcycles before the cool crowd takes them off and polishes the underlying aluminum. :D
Wear your gear...it hurts less than road rash.

PS - Why is it that every thread I read, Anti-Hero is arguing with someone? Were you ignored as a child?

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
As a newer road rider, gear inspires confidence. Because i feel any spill of any kind will result in injury without it. (Come off dirtbikes so i know that it hurts :urowned )

So heres a pickle: Does that make me more or less likely to crash? Being more confident and comfortable definately helps me look through turns properly for example.

On the other hand i probably ride faster because im more confident and comfortable on the back knowing im at least somewhat protected. :confused:

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
freeky929 said:
Wear your gear...it hurts less than road rash.

PS - Why is it that every thread I read, Anti-Hero is arguing with someone? Were you ignored as a child?
If people like you were not constantly saying something stupid there would be no argument. :upyours

·
Registered
426 Posts
the only thing leather will do is protect you from roadrash. The most important things are your helmet, back protector, and that thing sitting on your shoulders to avoid an accident in the first place.

You can still break bones with leathers on, it happens all the time to racers if they have a bad get off.

I don't think having leather on is going to help you from any sort of blunt trauma you receive when, say, a car runs over you. I don't think it's going to go a long ways in saving your life. Still, I rather avoid the road rash...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
As a newer road rider, gear inspires confidence. Because i feel any spill of any kind will result in injury without it. (Come off dirtbikes so i know that it hurts :urowned )

So heres a pickle: Does that make me more or less likely to crash? Being more confident and comfortable definately helps me look through turns properly for example.

On the other hand i probably ride faster because im more confident and comfortable on the back knowing im at least somewhat protected. :confused:

I'm the same way, I'll ride more agressivly if I wear gear because I know it's not going to hurt if I fall off. Well only my pocketbook. :rolleyes

Really what kills most people is hitting other objects on the road. Car, trees, curbs, ect. So leather isn't going to offer protection to prevent death in these cases. They would be fucked anyways. Though yeah helmets. Those things are a must. You can die ridding a bicycle no more then 5mph believe it or not. All it takes is hitting your head the right way and you can crack it open like an egg.

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP056.html

So just don't drink and ride and half the battle is won already.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts