Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. "Euro 125cc" guy here again. I was just wondering what you all consider to be acceptable milage when buying a used bike. To add to that it'll be a 125 - a bike who's life-span isn't incredibly long (I'm guessing!)...

Thanks as always :biggrinag

·
Registered
498 Posts
General rule of thumb here in North America is 3000 miles/year. I expect a 125s lifespan to be no different than a high-strung 250cc machine (30-50K miles) as long as it is properly cared for. So, if you are looking at a 2001 RS125, a bike with 9-10K miles on the clock indicates a machine with average use. In many cases, above-average mileage indicates a bike that has been well-cared for and the owner will usually be able to rattle off what's been done to the bike service-wise for the past several months if they are religious about it.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i dont buy used w/more than 8,000 miles and i live up north and put over 15,000 miles in 5 to 6 months

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mileage depends on if it is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Upper mileage 2 strokes start needing more expensive parts. 4 stroke engines can last about as long as a car if it has been taken care of and not abused.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my experience its just too easy to mess with the Milometer(sp?). If the bike seems more worn then the mileage indicates i would look elsewhere.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
tns said:
Milometer(sp?)
Odometer :D.

I am picking up an '02 this week with just under 3200 miles. When looking, I didnt want anything higher then 7-8k miles tho. Bikes get abused more then cars, and unless I knew the person, I'd check it out real good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
linuxbikr said:
In many cases, above-average mileage indicates a bike that has been well-cared for and the owner will usually be able to rattle off what's been done to the bike service-wise for the past several months if they are religious about it.
All depends on maintenance. I'd much rather buy a bike that's been ridden plenty and cared for religiously, than a low-mileage bike that's been neglected....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
General rule of thumb here in North America is 3000 miles/year.
Thats crazy. Actually the lower mileage bikes often have moreracing/stunting miles. For example I know of a guy with a 3 year old bike with 3200 miles (HINT 3000+ are TRACK miles but you'd never know it by looking at it.

I put on 10K+ per year but use my zx12 mostly as transportation to and from work cruising at 5000 rpm or less 95% of the time. :bananafu:

·
Banned
30 Posts
scotty said:
Thats crazy. Actually the lower mileage bikes often have moreracing/stunting miles. For example I know of a guy with a 3 year old bike with 3200 miles (HINT 3000+ are TRACK miles but you'd never know it by looking at it.

I put on 10K+ per year but use my zx12 mostly as transportation to and from work cruising at 5000 rpm or less 95% of the time. :bananafu:
+1

The type of mileage is much more important than the actual mileage number. If the mileage is very high (more than 60 or 70k), then you might wanna stay away.

Any thing below that, it really depends on the owner. Get to know the previous owner. Is he a mature rider or a crazy stunter? How well did he take care of the bike? What is the condition of the engine? chain? sprocket? forks?

All these factors will tell you much more about the bike, than the mileage number.

When I am buying used, to me the number one factor is the seller. If I get a bad vibe, I won't buy the bike, even if it LOOKS good, and no matter what the mileage is.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Truck where in DE are you? And about the mileage i bought a 02 954 in 8/03 with 7k on it. If im buying a fairly new bike 2000 or newer i'd say i'd like a number under 10k but you're also paying for those lack of miles. I think just as long as bikes are takin care of the high miles dont matter but i cant say im sure. MY next bike will hopefully be a 95-98 honda 600 with high miles say 30k or so b/c that means i can use the mileage agianst the owner in price negotiation

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
I'm in Middletown. I hope to pick it up this weekend (first bike). Then I can spend the rest of the weekend carving up my neighborhood and empty parking lots :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts