Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i recently bought a 98 yzf600, and even though seller told me that he did oil chage recently, i just wanna go ahead try to change oilfilter and oil..
and here are my "noob" questions..

what grade is good for my bike? how many quarts? any other things to check?

this will be my first oil change, so please help~! thanks guys

·
Registered
452 Posts
jdm-freak said:
what grade is good for my bike? how many quarts? any other things to check?

this will be my first oil change, so please help~! thanks guys
Welcome to the board.

The recommended oil for temps above 40F is SAE 20W-40 type SE motor oil.

If you want to stick to what Yamaha recommends, use Yamalube... they sell it for about $3-4 per quart.

Otherwise, I'd recommend using Shell Rotella T 15W-40, if you change it every year or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

Your bike will take slightly more than 3 quarts with a filter change. I'd recommend pouring the 3 quarts in, then adding more if it looks low after starting it up and letting it cool back down.

Other things to check are the engine coolant (probably changing it), brake fluid levels, brake pads, spark plugs, air filter and the chain/sprockets. You may want to change the fork oil as well as lubing the cables.

Also, if you find that the bike is somewhat hard to start, you may need to have a carb synch done.

Picking up a service/repair manual is a good investment if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Clymers and Haynes are both good aftermarket ones that'll run you about $20-25. Otherwise, you can order a Yamaha service manual from a dealer for about $55.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've been running Motul 10W30/10W40 depending on the time of year, and have not had any problems in over 10 years. I will probably take a little over 3.5 quarts when you are done changing the oil. Like sjlee said you might want to look at picking up a service manual.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 94 FZR600r with almost 30,000 hard miles on it. I use, in the Chicago summers Mobil 1 15W50 red cap, or Shell Rotella T 15W40, I usually ride all year long. A little info, none of the motorcycle manufactures make ANY fluilds, it's all second branded from the lowest bidder they can find, I always use FRAM filters susposedly the worst filter you can buy, I have never, ever had a clutch or engine problem with any car using Mobil and Fram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sjlee said:
Welcome to the board.

The recommended oil for temps above 40F is SAE 20W-40 type SE motor oil.

If you want to stick to what Yamaha recommends, use Yamalube... they sell it for about $3-4 per quart.

Otherwise, I'd recommend using Shell Rotella T 15W-40, if you change it every year or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.

Your bike will take slightly more than 3 quarts with a filter change. I'd recommend pouring the 3 quarts in, then adding more if it looks low after starting it up and letting it cool back down.

Other things to check are the engine coolant (probably changing it), brake fluid levels, brake pads, spark plugs, air filter and the chain/sprockets. You may want to change the fork oil as well as lubing the cables.

Also, if you find that the bike is somewhat hard to start, you may need to have a carb synch done.

Picking up a service/repair manual is a good investment if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Clymers and Haynes are both good aftermarket ones that'll run you about $20-25. Otherwise, you can order a Yamaha service manual from a dealer for about $55.

Good luck.
good stuff!!! thanks a lot guys!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts