Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i been lurking around these forums for about 7 months or so. and im a few days away from buying my first bike. after seeing some guys at office with them i decided to take msf and ride one to see if id be into it and i been hooked. been watching the classifieds for a while but havent been able to find the bike i want used. im about to buy a suzuki sv650s new for 5700. i been saving my pennies fo ra while so i could by the bike cash. i have about 7k right now. right now im trying to pick out gear but having a hard time finding a place to try on a x-11 helmet and a jr speedmaster jacket for me to try on so i can figure out my size. any comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
623 Posts
geist said:
well i been lurking around these forums for about 7 months or so. and im a few days away from buying my first bike. after seeing some guys at office with them i decided to take msf and ride one to see if id be into it and i been hooked. been watching the classifieds for a while but havent been able to find the bike i want used. im about to buy a suzuki sv650s new for 5700. i been saving my pennies fo ra while so i could by the bike cash. i have about 7k right now. right now im trying to pick out gear but having a hard time finding a place to try on a x-11 helmet and a jr speedmaster jacket for me to try on so i can figure out my size. any comments/suggestions?
Get a smaller bike?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
^? Why, its a V-twin, and i hear it makes a good learner bike. gearwise......if you can't try it on, use a fitting chart but that's like getting dressed in the dark buying it online w/o trying it on. Maybe get a used bike, you may drop it and well a new bike won't be so pretty on the ground.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you might also want to look into a used sv and use the money you save towards insurance.

·
Registered
791 Posts
$7000 on your first bike. NICE. i had a $2000 max and spent a lil over. The sv looks nice as a 1st bike cause it doesnt have all those expensive parts to the cracked. I wouldnt want to speend $7000 then wreck but hopefully that wont happen.

have you tried cycletrader.com and they even have cycletrader that you buy in the store. They do a weekly update i believe.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SV is a marginal first bike..........but out where he's he at, he has limited access to bikes.not alot out there.......

just make sure to enroll in the www.msf-usa.org class out there.

my recommends for a first bike,if at all possible

buy small (500cc or less) buy used, buy cash.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It's tough to figure out the fit of a jacket going just by measurements, but here's what newenough says about the Speedmaster jacket for a reference point:

Sizing Information: Fit of the jackets is pretty close to standard although they do run a bit small in the larger sizes. Use the chart below to select a jacket size based upon your chest and belly measurements. You'd want to pick the smallest jacket that would be big enough for both your chest and belly. If you have a big chest (relative to your waist), use the side waist adjustment tabs to cinch the waist down to get a good fit.
Jacket Size Max Chest Max Belly
Measurement Measurement
40 40 34
42 42 36
44 43 37
46 45 39
48 46 40
50 48 42
52 49 43
54 51 45
56 53 47

edit: The columns don't line up, damn it.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
congrats on finding a good deal (5700 for a new SV? That's a steal), i agree w/newenough for the fitment. also, you may want to call them and see if they can help you out that way too, they are pretty good. Make sure to post up pics of the pretty SV when you get it home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts