Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a used Kawasaki Ninja 250. I don't know what's considered a good deal.

I know mileages on bikes really depend on the owners and how they used the bike, and the prices for "good deals" are hard to say.

So, what's some BAD deals?

1: How many miles is TOO MUCH for each year/model that you wouldn't buy the bike? (for example, "I wouldn't buy a 2006 if it has more than 10,000 miles" etc)
2: Also, what would be the prices for those bikes that have borderline-maximum mileage?

3: I also wanna know how much is TOO MUCH to be asked for, for each year?? (for example, "For a 2005 model, you shouldn't pay more than $3000"... etc.)

Consider them stock, runs okay, and in decent condition for each year.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of bikes I should't get, and not get ripped off. :boink

Go ahead and copy & use the format below.

(You don't have to fill out the whole thing. You can copy the years you know. The best of your knowledge is appreciated. :bowdown)

2008 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2007 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2006 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2005 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2004 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2003 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2002 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2001 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
2000 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1999 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1998 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1997 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1996 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1995 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1994 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1993 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1992 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1991 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1990 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?
1989 - Max mileage: ? miles - Price at max mileage: $ ? - Max price for this year: $ ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it could mean it was sitting in storage or used very infrequently. both could lead to gummed up carb, fuel tank, internals, etc.

Makes perfect sense. (The same goes to cars...)

Any way to detect those problems?

I'll most likely bring a friend who's a car mechanic with me to see the bike, but if you have anything that we should look out for when we're inspecting the bike before we buy it, go ahead and post them up so other new riders can also benefit from this thread.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Makes perfect sense. (The same goes to cars...)

Any way to detect those problems?

I'll most likely bring a friend who's a car mechanic with me to see the bike, but if you have anything that we should look out for when we're inspecting the bike before we buy it, go ahead and post them up so other new riders can also benefit from this thread.

Thanks. :)
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

I'd also have a copy of the service schedule handy so you can verify that yes, all of the service really was done...not just the mileage-related stuff (of the several Ninjettes I looked at, I don't think a single one of them had newer-than-factory coolant, coolant lines, brake fluid, or brake lines).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

I'd also have a copy of the service schedule handy so you can verify that yes, all of the service really was done...not just the mileage-related stuff (of the several Ninjettes I looked at, I don't think a single one of them had newer-than-factory coolant, coolant lines, brake fluid, or brake lines).
Wow! Thanks for the awesome tools. Very useful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That calculator is not useful because it does not take into consideration of supply and demand. it's telling me $3,000 for a brand new 2008 Ninja 250? That's about as likely as Mexico invading Russia tommorow.
Yeah I thought those numbers were a little low too... Adding about $500ish on top of the numbers the calculator spits out, seems about right... at least compared to craigslist listings in California.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts