Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 11:45 pm Friday 5/20/05

In exactly 7 hours and 35 minutes, i will be on the range taking the RIDING part of my MSF course!

(((jumping up and down)))

I've been MIA because i moved, started back in grad school now that the internship is over, and didn't have internet access set up til this past monday...I didn't run away or change my mind, peoples, i'm DOING IT.

And to make it all better, i made a new bikeriding friend that just took me back to Atlanta today to get my bike out of storage, he likes the bike almost more than me...I had left ift up there cause i couldn't tow it...had the car to tow...

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Congrats and good luck to ya.

Let us know how you did tomorow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Brownilus said:
It is 11:45 pm Friday 5/20/05

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been lurking for a bit and had to join in the excitement, my riding portion is in 13 hours!!!! Yeah us!!!!! I hope you update and tell how it all went and good luck.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Welcome to SBN fizzygrrl and good luck to you as well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ah, the joys of riding, soon to be YOURS. Feels great, huh?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good luck on your test just remember take your time dont rush if you dont feel comy doing something

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
YAY!!! Good luck girls!!!! It's a piece of cake!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good luck hun! and remember, use both brakes!!!.. **even tho you won't use um in real life** :lol

Tell us how it went! :dblthumb

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Damn Brownilus, I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are doing good. Congrats on the MSF, let us know how it went

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
k i'm back...i failed it (***TEARS***) but I know what I did wrong...the friction zone thing KILLS me...I feel no fear if i'm chipping along at a mere 20/25 mph and leaning so far on a corner my boot heel scrapes the ground...but maintaining this friction zone business for a figure 8 within a box is just one bag of NERVES for me.

Also, i didn't know how to drive standard before that, so having to learn the bike AND keep reminding myself about synchronizing all four hands and feet was just a lot of sh*t to concentrate on at once. But, my friend is helping me practice (and he's as mean as the d-mn MSF instructors), so I retake it next weekend (after Memorial Weekend) and i better pass. I didn't take my bike out (to the parking lot, that is) until Monday cause I had to put frame sliders on it...they all say i need to look further out and stop looking down or that is where i will go...down. My friend is going to help with with these slow, painful figure 8's on Saturday. Between now and then I am working on my friction zone control and stopping properly.

One guy from the islands like me told me he was messing up a lot too in the practice leading up to the test because he was beating himself up more and more about the mistakes he was making, and everybody was telling him to relax...so he started taking his mind of his wrongdoings by singing some reggae tunes to himself, and then he could relax enough to make the sudden stop, or the swerve, or whatever, when called for instead of giving himself a migraine about it the whole ride leading up to it.

So I am going to try that. Stop thinking about what I did and start thinking about what I am DOING...

In the meantime, i have a small dilemma:

I just bought a leather pants (not perforated cause that one was not available in the size i know fits me until JULY), but it was $337 and I feel weak just thinking about it. I bought an Icon Tarmac black and white mesh jacket before that, and I now see the Icon Timax black and white mesh pants to match it on Ebay for only $100 (plus about $15 shipping).

So, should I buy that mesh pants on Ebay 4 days from now and return this pants to the store in town for a 20% restocking fee? Or should I make the investment in the leathers (which everyone promises me I will DIE in in the summer Florida heat) and keep it since it is the last piece of gear I needed to get? It's just ...$337 dollars! It's the most expensive thing i have had to get for this bike outside of the actual bike!

The next issue with the pants online is the great possibility that they will not fit because i haven't tried on a pants like that before. My thighs are very big and i am tall, so women's bike pants are too small and too short, and men's pants have a tendency to either not get past my thighs, or get past them but then have a huge gap where the back of the pants should be touching my skin, so that if i get on a bike in position, i am mooning someone. :( Even the alpinestars leathers I got, have a small gap back there, so i was advised to take them to a leather shop and get them to put elastic in the waist instead of the leather piece, so that they will grip me above my backside instead of the gap...I have been trying since before i got the bike to find pants and have been having some serious trouble...so maybe i should count my blessings on the expensive one and know i am at least VERY well protected? I don't know...help...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Heah brownilus, I'm sorry you didn't pass, that figure eight was killing me as well. My teacher told me that the figure eight won't flunk you but if you get all upset about messing up the figure eights it will affect the later tests and that will flunk you. I took a lot of deep breaths and just heard their voices in my head while I did it. It was the only time all day that I didn't put my foot down so I think there is something to the idea of singing to oneself or replaying their lecture etc. You are doing the best thing by studying some more and trying again especially since you haven't driven a stick before. I can't imagine how much harder that must have made the class, you rock girl.

As for leather pants from another black girl with a strong waist to thigh ratio, I say keep the leathers since it may be hard to find another pair to fit as well as you have found and get elastic put in the back. The only jacket or pants I have found to even remotely fit have been Hein Gericke stuff from last year. His stuff has elastized leather (looks like the tops of the old jumpers I wore in the 70's) in the hips and in the backs of those darn pants. It seems to compensate for that Jamaican butt my grandpa gave me;) I've tried the icon and I can't get them to fit at all and even the jackets hit my hips all wrong and ride up in the back instead of sitting on the small of my back. Good luck

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Oh girl, so sorry to hear....
Keep your head up and practice as much as you can. Yeah, that figure 8 sucks but it is only one portion of the test. If you flub that one portion, who cares? You can still pass by doing ok / stellar on the rest. As Fizzy said, you can't let the one portion trash the rest of your test. When you go back, keep that head up, crank your head around and look at the EXACT point you want to be...and even if you go outside the lines, you will still pass. Even if you put your foot down....you will still pass. If you drop the bike,you fail. So don't worry about perfecting it, just get through it and then excel in the areas you are perfect at. It'll be ok, at least this time you know what you are in for!!! Good luck, you'll do it!!!!

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
I was thinking about this a little more. If you are practicing, which is great, find a spot on the pavement and fixate on it. First try it going in a straight line...because I have noticed that even though I am looking at something, I am not seeing it. When I started, I would look at a spot with my eyes but my mind was still seeing everything else...it is a skill to be developed. It is one thing to do it not moving and something completely different when in motion. Once you think you have it down in the straight line, then try it doing simple left and right turns...again, focus on the one stone in the asphalt. Once you are comfortable with that then make the turns smaller/tighter and eventually use the same concept in your figure eight. When you are about ready to turn, crank your head around, adjust your body accordingly and pick that stone at the beginning of the box and just focus on it...you will hit it, you will get around that turn. Then repeat for the second leg of it. I know it is easier said than done, it wasn't that long ago when I was taking my MSF test...not even 2 years yet. The other thing to keep in mind is that it is a LOT easier when you go a little faster. Bikes want to stay on two wheels while in motion, the more motion (speed) the more stable the bike is...now don't take that to an extreme...if you feel tipsy, try getting on that throttle, just a touch.
Now, the friction zone....The friction zone is key to starting from a complete stop. Once you are moving, it becomes pretty much irrelevant (at least where you are in your riding right now). Once your bike is in motion, you don't really need to worry about the friction zone...it isn't necessary shifting gears. When you shift just smoothly release the clutch, don't try to use or find the friction zone. If you are doing this while up shifting you are going to slow causing a disruption in the above mentioned stabilizing motion and cause you to feel tipsy again, not to mention you are adding unnecessary "inputs"...you are probably stiffening your arms making it difficult to manuever the bike.
Most of all, just try to relax and remember this is supposed to be fun. In the end it will all be worth it. I really hope some of this helps you. Let us know what happens...we are all rootin' for ya!!!
So to summarize: wipe those tears and get your ass back on the bike and KNOW that you can do this!!!!! :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
sorry to hear you failed brown. the main thing you wanna do is look to where you wanna go, breath and relax. don't look down cause nine times out of ten that's where you;ll end up. good luck on your retry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts