Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
That person is well referenced.

Though I disagree with the conclusion. The FZ6 has been my first bike and I couldn't be more happy!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Seemed like a very concise, accurate & informative review to me. He even acknowledged that as a first bike it would be OK for some riders.

I couldn't agree more that the notchy throttle response at lower RPMs is the one thing that makes this bike a pain to ride compared to others. Good throttle control in the turns is much harder than it has to be. After a year of practice I'm beginning to get the hang of it but I can't say I've enjoyed the challenge. But there's so much else to like about this bike that I can overlook it.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Everyone has their point of view. I'd say he was accurate and fair.

+1

His best quote IMHO: "Many people CAN start on this bike (and have), but very few SHOULD in my opinion. Regardless of the performance gap between the FZ6 and the supersports, it isn’t a 'good beginner bike.'"

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
That review appears to be from our very own "Fraggle1". Anthony writes very well and that is the 2nd review he's done...both of which are outstanding. I'm a little disappointed he didn't mention "FAZR6" when talking about the R6 fork mod but oh well.... :)

:cheers Anthony!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Heh, so much for staying anonymous. Yeah, I wrote that a while back for that newbie-specific site. Sorry to leave your handle out, Mike. I probably should also have referred to this site as the best FZ6 info source on the web. :cheers I definitely refer everyone here from that site when they ask me about the FZ6.

Edit: removed dysfunctional smiley

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Heh, so much for staying anonymous. Yeah, I wrote that a while back for that newbie-specific site. Sorry to leave your handle out, Mike. I probably should also have referred to this site as the best FZ6 info source on the web. :cheers I definitely refer everyone here from that site when they ask me about the FZ6.

The reason you point out that the FZ6 is bad for beginners (clutch and throttle) is the very reason I don't suggest it to newbies.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Master the quirks of the FZ6 and I imagine you're a step or two ahead of others when you make your move to a 1300. :p

While I had a few stalling issues for the first day I had the bike, I haven't stalled it since save for the occasional forgetting to put the sidestand up and the one time that in putting my hand back down on the throttle quickly (after waving at some kid that was waving to me, at a stop, obviously) and I brushed the kill switch. Doh, that was embarassing.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Wow - Fraggle1, excellent job. :dblthumb You've really summed up my internal monologue in your review so I feel validated with the drive train lash comments as well as the short friction zone in the clutch. I know it was stated that a power commander helped with throttle smoothness however I’m like you, I don’t want to lose 5 mpg.

Does anyone else have any ideas regarding ways to fix the throttle on/off issue? Tweaking the idle speed? Tightening up the throttle cable?

And regarding the lash, any thoughts there? Tightening the chain?

I love riding hard in the twisties but that abrupt pulse that comes when you roll on the throttle freaks me out.

Ideas/suggestions/etc.?

:idea

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Binary Jay said:
I haven't stalled it since save for the occasional forgetting to put the sidestand up
LOL ..... I hate when that happens. Sometimes I even do the reverse when I take a quick stop. Come to a stop & put the kick stand down without puttin it in neutral.
May just be me but I still would never give up that side stand cutoff switch.

The very first time it happened to me was a day or two after I got the bike. I parked in front of my house to go in and get something. Came back out and tried to ride away and couldn't start the bike?? Took me a good 5-10 minutes to realize I wasn't puttin the kick stand up :lao

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
i have ridden a good amount of dirt in my day so i guess thats how i could adapt to my little fizzer easily as my first bike. i have pretty much no complaints about the clutch, but throttle can be a bit snappy but not a big deal in my opinion.i almost bought a little 250 for my first, but looking back im extremely happy i didnt! but on the other side i came super close to an F4i, which i think i would have liked just as much as my current baby (blue fizzer). FZ6 is an all arounf great bike that i would say is suited greatly to a newbie as long as we are talking about a confident , road sharing individual. if i had been riding for years i would not purchase an fz6, but thats just me i know, i want to go with a SS bike next, unless they model the FZ1 after ours then i might look into a liter fizzer!! ride safe everyone

·
Superbike Racer
72 Posts
fraggle1 said:

Ah! I thought I'd find you lurking here somewhere! LOL
I initially read your review of the FZ6 on beginnerbikes.com, and it was quite a long thread with people adding comments/questions. I had been considering the FZ6 as a second bike and after reading your review, I knew it was the right bike for me, and the bike has been absolutely brilliant. The clutch took a while to get used to, but now it's all good!

Thanks for the reviews!

·
Registered
777 Posts
After owning many streetbikes, I think the FZ6 is also good for the experienced rider. One that doesn't need the fastest bike, the biggest bike or the raciest bike.
The FZ6 will cruise(I didn't call it a cruiser!) with GoldWings, R 1's, Harleys, Beemers, et al. Cleaning up on all but the dedicated sportbikes.
Its also a good looking bike that gets looks from young and old.
Its the best all around bike available for the performance/money factor today IMO.
Did I say I like the bike?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thats a very good and very complete right up Fraggle1, props. One thing though...I thought the dry weight on the fz6 was 426lb. Maby I was mistaken.

Edit: Yamaha's site lists the dry weight at 423lb's, for the 05' any way. Did the weight change between the two years or is Yamaha fudging the #'s??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
crx81 said:
+1

His best quote IMHO: "Many people CAN start on this bike (and have), but very few SHOULD in my opinion. Regardless of the performance gap between the FZ6 and the supersports, it isn’t a 'good beginner bike.'"
I absolutely agree. It isn't the best "beginner's" bike. For a newbie, it does have a bit too much power and it does require a bit of finesse. Think about it. A newbie that has never ridden a bike before and let's say he/she never drove a stick before either, now has to figure out what to do with all of his/her appendages ie. left has has to work the clutch and the turn signals, right hand has to twist the throttle AND handle the front brakes, the left foot changes the gears and the right foot applies the rear brakes. So the hands are doing double time with chores and that same person has to learn how to balance the bike while it's at a standstill and while it's moving. That is a lot for a newbie to be taking all in the beginning stages of riding. Twist the throttle too much or grab the brakes too hard and they're in trouble b/c they may not have the experience to react. On a smaller, lighter bike it's much more forgiving. Some can learn quicker then others. I personally think that people that know how to drive stick in a car well can adapt easily b/c of the same concepts of shifting and braking compared to others that have driven autos.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
+1 on the clutch. this is the first bike i have ever owned or riden. the day i picked it up at the dealership i spend a good 45 minutes in the parking lot just riding around in circles trying to get used to the clutch. oh and to make it worse it was raining. thought i was finally getting the hang of it to make the 6 mile drive home, and getting pissed that i was having so much trouble with it. went out of the parking lot no trouble, first light no trouble, second light i stalled. after starting it and stalling it again i was able to get going, third light no problem just coasted through a right hand turn. coming up to the freeway over pass and dont you know the light turned red, on a damn hill, i was so pissed. stalled again 3 times. finally gave it more throtle and let the clutch out slowly, next light stalled 4 times and everyone was honking. all i could do was give the finger and smile cause they couldnt piss me off cause i was finally riding my brand new bike home. the only thing i was worried about was an impatient driver running in to the back of me. finally got home and just couldnt go in the house as i was mezmerized with the bike. almost a year later i still go out to the garage and just stare at it and cant believe i have a bike and how much fun this fz is.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
WISPER said:
Thats a very good and very complete right up Fraggle1, props. One thing though...I thought the dry weight on the fz6 was 426lb. Maby I was mistaken.

Edit: Yamaha's site lists the dry weight at 423lb's, for the 05' any way. Did the weight change between the two years or is Yamaha fudging the #'s??
Yeah, I think I meant to write "wet weight." Oops. :bitchslap

Thanks for the feedback, all. I may have to post a follow-up with more current info. With some of you guys at the bleeding edge of modifications, there's plenty more to write about. :dblthumb

The "beginner bike" question is a tough one. Lots of people start small, and lots of people don't. The problem is that you can't have the same person try out both. And even if you could, their experiences don't mean squat when it comes to giving recommendations to someone else. Teaching new riders has been pretty eye-opening, though. It's pretty easy to see the errors that people are still making even after passing the MSF class, and then guess at what might happen on the street.

Still, if someone knows all the risks and really wants to start on the FZ6, go for it. :cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same throttle jerky stuff happenning on my 2005 FZ6S. On rides with lots of people I was getting worried it would end up with me or someone else hopping off in a turn. I got so annoyed I decided to have a good look at the bike. Luckily I started at the throttle grip which was obviously where we feel the sticky throttle.

PROBLEM:The bar and the grip had begun to rust.

Fix: The throttle grip slides on the handle bar. The bar is painted silver where you can see it, but not behind the grip. You need to remove the grip and clean off the rust carefully-DO NOT SCRATCH THE BAR- and when it is clean and rust free make sure you also clean the inside of the throttle grip.

Lube the bar and the inside of the grip with something that does not damage the grip or the bar -you decide what you think will work- I don't know what to do to stop the rust except periodic checks and clean.

biker6 said:
Wow - Fraggle1, excellent job. :dblthumb You've really summed up my internal monologue in your review so I feel validated with the drive train lash comments as well as the short friction zone in the clutch. I know it was stated that a power commander helped with throttle smoothness however I’m like you, I don’t want to lose 5 mpg.

Does anyone else have any ideas regarding ways to fix the throttle on/off issue? Tweaking the idle speed? Tightening up the throttle cable?

And regarding the lash, any thoughts there? Tightening the chain?

I love riding hard in the twisties but that abrupt pulse that comes when you roll on the throttle freaks me out.

Ideas/suggestions/etc.?

:idea

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
+1 on the rust.

I had my bars changed following my spill. I was surprised to see the old ones with rust on them (under the grips). Though in my case, they didn't seem to make the jerkiness any worse..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts