Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ticket for careless driving when I wrecked my bike....this is what the ticket says

Operated motor vehicle in a careless & imprudent manner by driving too fast for conditions, driving off road & striking a ditch
There were no other vehicles involved. I don't think I was driving careless....I hit a slippery spot in the road and was not able to recover....I drove off the road to save my own ass....I guess thats careless.........

what should I do?

and before anyone says to find out how much the ticket will cost.....its gonna be like $350

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
get a lawyer, that will count as points against your license if you are convicted.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i forgot to ask...........does it matter if i didnt sign the ticket?? cause i didnt

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do what Silent_R1 said, because it doesn't sound like you can do it yourself successfully.

How does the Officer intend to prove that you were "driving too fast for the conditions"?
How were you "driving in a Careless and Imprudent manner"?

What evidence does he have to prove these things?

You have to request that evidence (his scribbling) and decide what you can do from there.
I'm not sure how you do that in your State.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
at most you should get over driving the conditions if it was slippery, not careless driving

·
Registered
166 Posts
CBRAWR said:
i forgot to ask...........does it matter if i didnt sign the ticket?? cause i didnt

No that really doesn't mean anything. Its just like paying more than the ticket requires will keep the points off your record.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
1. Did this...officer...see you wreck...or arrive minutes after...to help you
....by picking your pocket?

2. Either way...challenge it...as he probably won't even show up to
court anyway...and it'll get thrown out.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
velocity bmg said:
1. Did this...officer...see you wreck...or arrive minutes after...to help you
....by picking your pocket?

2. Either way...challenge it...as he probably won't even show up to
court anyway...and it'll get thrown out.

the only person that was anywhere near me when the accident happened was a deaf man that was mowing his lawn

·
Registered
899 Posts
Sounds like you have a solid case...unless the deaf man says you were speeding...but im no LEO or lawyer or anything of the such...but if it were me I would feel confident that it would get dropped/thrown out if I was just riding and hit an oil slick or something

·
Blue Wheels
497 Posts
The law in TN says that any person who has a solo wreck or who causes a wreck gets a ticket for Failure to Control. It doesn't matter what happens to cause the solo wreck, you get that ticket. It's a $50 ticket that they wipe away if you show up to the court date. Don't know if that's the case with this ticket where you are or not, but I do know that this is one of the only moving violations you can get without the officer witnessing the crime.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats my beef with the ticket...........im trying to understand how he knows i was driving all wild to the point where i couldnt control my bike......guess it'll always be a mystery....we'll see when i go to court

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yeah, I think in Texas that would be a "failure to control" ticket also - but it's more than $50.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well my mom said he told her that he wasnt gonna give me a ticket.......he didnt even bother to give it to me the same day it happened.....hell....he was gone before the paramedics got out of the ambulance

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would it help any if i went out and took pics of the accident site to show what road conditions were and all that good stuff??

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i do have a prior careless & imprudent that is supposed to come off sometime this year.....it might actually be off my record by now so i dont know.....other than that....minor speeding but all off my record

i didnt plan on getting a lawyer because i figured if im gonna pay a lawyer i may as well pay the fine

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Blip_Pilot said:
How does the Officer intend to prove that you were "driving too fast for the conditions"?
How were you "driving in a Careless and Imprudent manner"?

What evidence does he have to prove these things?
The evidence is the motorcycle that found it's way into a ditch and the rider that said that it didnt happen as a result of mechanical failure or another driver. The rider stated in this thread that he lost control of the bike due to the road conditions, that means he was riding too fast for those conditions, which is what the ticket is for.

thats my beef with the ticket...........im trying to understand how he knows i was driving all wild to the point where i couldnt control my bike......guess it'll always be a mystery....we'll see when i go to court
How did your bike end up in the ditch again?

would it help any if i went out and took pics of the accident site to show what road conditions were and all that good stuff??
If you take a picture and that picture actually shows how crappy the road conditions were, the judge is going to ask you why you didnt notice the same thing while you were riding and adjust your speed accordingly.

You really need a lawyer because you do not know how to defend yourself from these charges. Everything you have posted here actually supports the conclusions of the officer. I think a lawyer would be a really good idea considering your already spotty driving history. Yes, the lawyer fees will be more than the fine, but how much extra insurance do you think your going to be paying with multiple careless driving convictions?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Redmenace said:
The evidence is the motorcycle that found it's way into a ditch and the rider that said that it didnt happen as a result of mechanical failure or another driver. The rider stated in this thread that he lost control of the bike due to the road conditions, that means he was riding too fast for those conditions, which is what the ticket is for.
yes, you're right about the crash not being because of mechanical failure...but my dad and i took a ride out to the site tonight and i distinctly remember telling the officer that i was going about 30mph when the accident happened........the posted speed limit for that turn was 35mph....so that would throw out driving too fast

How did your bike end up in the ditch again?
i actually steered myself off the road after i got the bike to stop its wobble....it was gonna go off whether i made it or not cause i didnt have enough room to finish the turn.........im glad i did it...i could have been run over by a car in the opposite lane or someone coming from behind me cause it took me a few minutes before i actually got up from the ground

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
CBRAWR said:
yes, you're right about the crash not being because of mechanical failure...but my dad and i took a ride out to the site tonight and i distinctly remember telling the officer that i was going about 30mph when the accident happened........the posted speed limit for that turn was 35mph....so that would throw out driving too fast
Too fast for conditions has absolutely nothing to do with the speed limit.

i actually steered myself off the road after i got the bike to stop its wobble....it was gonna go off whether i made it or not cause i didnt have enough room to finish the turn.........im glad i did it...i could have been run over by a car in the opposite lane or someone coming from behind me cause it took me a few minutes before i actually got up from the ground
What caused the wobble in the first place? You say you were going five miles under the speed limit and still couldnt complete the turn on the roadway, why?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Redmenace said:
Too fast for conditions has absolutely nothing to do with the speed limit.

What caused the wobble in the first place? You say you were going five miles under the speed limit and still couldnt complete the turn on the roadway, why?
the wobble was caused from my rear tire slipping on something....dont know exactly what it was but i blamed the patch work the DOT did

i couldnt complete the turn because i was pretty close to the side of the road.....maybe with more riding experience i could have but i really thought i was going slow enough to make it off the road......it was something between the edge of the road and the short hill leading off the road that actually caused the wreck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts