Sport Bikes banner

A Rice Rocket, huh?

6K views 42 replies 35 participants last post by  firefighter81 
#1 ·
This made me crack up, but at the same time it made me mad just because people can be so ignorant.

Someone at work asked me, "is that your crotch-rocket out front?" I laughed and replied yes. I didnt mind it being called that, i just think it is funny.

But anyhow, someone else walked into the conversation. I forget exactly what they said but they ended up calling it a "rice-rocket". I said, "its not a rice rocket. That is an import car usually driven by an asian who has put a bunch of aftermarket crap on it." (sorry if that isnt politically correct). She asks me again what kind of bike i had, i said "a Honda CBR". She goes, "no thats a rice rocket." At that point i could have gone off on her, but since she is considered one of my bosses i thought i would let it slide. If it was someone else i would have told them that they were dumb and didnt know what they were talking about.

Anyone else have a similar story?

#2 ·
Ummmm, sorry to say, she's right, a japanese bike is a rice-rocket, just like my 996 and RS250 are both pasta-rockets. I've never heard a car called a rice-rocket, it's called a riceburner though. I lived in Seattle for 12 years too, my bikes were always called rice-rockets and that's what I called them, that or crotch rocket, or just "the bike."

#6 ·
I too live in the Seattle area and there are plenty of hicks around for being an urban area. "That thar crotch rocket ain't no ree-hal Harley." It pisses me off too. Maybe I'll just start calling Harleys 'burgers on wheels' or 'lard rockets' lol. Ah, Lard Rockets, I crack myself up...

#7 ·
It's a pet peeve of mine to hear "crotch rocket" or "rice burner". Well, it's basically a pet peeve of mine to call a sportbike anything but a sportbike or a superbike. Around here, pretty much everything is a "Ninja".

#8 ·
wescoas1 said:
I too live in the Seattle area and there are plenty of hicks around for being an urban area. "That thar crotch rocket ain't no ree-hal Harley." It pisses me off too. Maybe I'll just start calling Harleys 'burgers on wheels' or 'lard rockets' lol. Ah, Lard Rockets, I crack myself up...
I call them Hobby Davidson's my students say "why don't you buy a real bike, a Harley!" So my response is no you mean a Hobby Davidson, and the reason I don't have a "real bike" is I like to ride not work on bikes! That usually dumbfounds them. :twofinger :cool: :cool:

#10 ·
Lard Rockets lol, that's cute...Around here people call them Hardly Ablesons'

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't care what my bike gets called. At the end of the day it's my bike to live with not anyone else's.

It gets called the Nuclear/Radioactive Pumpkin a lot, tho. (I bought the bright orange one :D)

#11 ·
freeride said:
It's a pet peeve of mine to hear "crotch rocket" or "rice burner". Well, it's basically a pet peeve of mine to call a sportbike anything but a sportbike or a superbike. Around here, pretty much everything is a "Ninja".
I feel the same way. At my dealership I say "No, we dont have any crotch rockets, but I have some nice sportbikes you can look at."

I didnt spend nine grand just to transport my crotch from place to place quickly. :D

#15 ·
firefighter81 said:
Ummmm, sorry to say, she's right, a japanese bike is a rice-rocket, just like my 996 and RS250 are both pasta-rockets. I've never heard a car called a rice-rocket, it's called a riceburner though. I lived in Seattle for 12 years too, my bikes were always called rice-rockets and that's what I called them, that or crotch rocket, or just "the bike."

See i still dont think she is. I dont even live in Seattle anymore, that was last year. I dont know about anywhere else, but where i grew up in CA, a rice rocket was the same as a rice burner. It had nothing to do with a sportbike. So when she named it something that i had only associated with a car, i didnt like it. I still dont like to call them crotch rockets, it just sounds dumb.

#17 ·
I say "rice rocket my arse this is canned heat bitch" :angry then.... blam tag that biatch in the eye, stand over them for a minute (for the dramatic effect) then I say somthing else that is very clever and raw like where's the rice rocket now huh. Then I walk away laughing. :lol

#18 ·
I call them crotch rockets.
To me, insisting on calling them Sport Bike is like in the military calling women 'females', never women or girls. A little formal for common vernacular among friends.
Anything from japan, car or bike, is usually called a rice-grinder, rice-burner, etc.
Being an HD guy myself, I always thought it was funny to see guys with the 'American PRide" type shirts for HD. Considering a good chunk of any HD is made in japan (electronics, brakes, suspension parts) it's just kind of stupid. Sort of like the Heartbeat of America slogan for Chevy. The IROC I had was made in Canada.

#19 ·
I believe the term rice-rocket was originally named for japanese bikes. Once the lame ass import trend came around that term was applied to them. Either way, I don't care what they call it because it's faster and cooler than what those ignorant people have.

I just call it my bike.

#20 ·
eehh who cares what ppl call it. I've never heard some ove all it a "rice rocket" but I get the "crotch rocket" all the time. I just tell um they are right, sake of argument. Why should I go out of my way to correct ppl? If that's what they wanna call it, let um. I know what it is, so that's all that matters...

#21 ·
TheSollyLama said:
I call them crotch rockets.
To me, insisting on calling them Sport Bike is like in the military calling women 'females', never women or girls. A little formal for common vernacular among friends.
+1 Same here. My whole life I heard them called crotch rockets so I did also. I get one and find out that people who own them don't like them to be called that anymore. I still call them that now. I kind of like the name.

People all the time ask what kind of bike I have and I’ll say a CBR. What’s that? It’s a Honda. Oh, is it like this kind of bike? No it’s a sport bike. (Agreeing with blank look) It’s a crotch-rocket. Ohhhhhhh one of those kind you bend over on. Riiiiiiiiight.

I don't think Joe Bike has the same zing as Joe Rocket anyway.
:twofinger

#22 ·
Sorry to say, but who cares? If people can get to you that quick then that sucks... I would care if someone who knows a lot about bikes calls it something other than the truth, but they are crotch rockets. That should be a compliment. People don't call things that arn't fast "rockets"

#23 ·
Well...here's what I know from a friend who's great at Japanese. Although the motorcycle houses "Honda" and "Yamaha" are actually from the last names of the establishers, incidentally they mean "rice" in Japanese. There are about 30 words in Japanese that mean rice, and these are two. That is how the whole "rice rocket" concept started.

#24 ·
sopan_shadowfax said:
Well...here's what I know from a friend who's great at Japanese. Although the motorcycle houses "Honda" and "Yamaha" are actually from the last names of the establishers, incidentally they mean "rice" in Japanese. There are about 30 words in Japanese that mean rice, and these are two. That is how the whole "rice rocket" concept started.
haha, that is pretty funny... and it backs up my point too.

#25 ·
Squid Killer said:
I didnt spend nine grand just to transport my crotch from place to place quickly. :D
I did, after all, my crotch usually decides what I am doing for me anyway :D

#26 ·
japbike said:
eehh who cares what ppl call it. I've never heard some ove all it a "rice rocket" but I get the "crotch rocket" all the time. I just tell um they are right, sake of argument. Why should I go out of my way to correct ppl? If that's what they wanna call it, let um. I know what it is, so that's all that matters...
+1 This is the best answer so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.