Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This made me crack up, but at the same time it made me mad just because people can be so ignorant.

Someone at work asked me, "is that your crotch-rocket out front?" I laughed and replied yes. I didnt mind it being called that, i just think it is funny.

But anyhow, someone else walked into the conversation. I forget exactly what they said but they ended up calling it a "rice-rocket". I said, "its not a rice rocket. That is an import car usually driven by an asian who has put a bunch of aftermarket crap on it." (sorry if that isnt politically correct). She asks me again what kind of bike i had, i said "a Honda CBR". She goes, "no thats a rice rocket." At that point i could have gone off on her, but since she is considered one of my bosses i thought i would let it slide. If it was someone else i would have told them that they were dumb and didnt know what they were talking about.

Anyone else have a similar story?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Ummmm, sorry to say, she's right, a japanese bike is a rice-rocket, just like my 996 and RS250 are both pasta-rockets. I've never heard a car called a rice-rocket, it's called a riceburner though. I lived in Seattle for 12 years too, my bikes were always called rice-rockets and that's what I called them, that or crotch rocket, or just "the bike."

·
Registered
402 Posts
In Alabama, a CBR is called a "Rice Burner" or "Crotch Rocket"...no big deal. Most Hondas are made in America anyway.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I too live in the Seattle area and there are plenty of hicks around for being an urban area. "That thar crotch rocket ain't no ree-hal Harley." It pisses me off too. Maybe I'll just start calling Harleys 'burgers on wheels' or 'lard rockets' lol. Ah, Lard Rockets, I crack myself up...

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's a pet peeve of mine to hear "crotch rocket" or "rice burner". Well, it's basically a pet peeve of mine to call a sportbike anything but a sportbike or a superbike. Around here, pretty much everything is a "Ninja".

·
Registered
43 Posts
wescoas1 said:
I too live in the Seattle area and there are plenty of hicks around for being an urban area. "That thar crotch rocket ain't no ree-hal Harley." It pisses me off too. Maybe I'll just start calling Harleys 'burgers on wheels' or 'lard rockets' lol. Ah, Lard Rockets, I crack myself up...
I call them Hobby Davidson's my students say "why don't you buy a real bike, a Harley!" So my response is no you mean a Hobby Davidson, and the reason I don't have a "real bike" is I like to ride not work on bikes! That usually dumbfounds them. :twofinger :cool: :cool:

·
Banned
730 Posts
People can call it whatever they want. I bought it to ride, not discuss. :twofinger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lard Rockets lol, that's cute...Around here people call them Hardly Ablesons'

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't care what my bike gets called. At the end of the day it's my bike to live with not anyone else's.

It gets called the Nuclear/Radioactive Pumpkin a lot, tho. (I bought the bright orange one :D)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
freeride said:
It's a pet peeve of mine to hear "crotch rocket" or "rice burner". Well, it's basically a pet peeve of mine to call a sportbike anything but a sportbike or a superbike. Around here, pretty much everything is a "Ninja".
I feel the same way. At my dealership I say "No, we dont have any crotch rockets, but I have some nice sportbikes you can look at."

I didnt spend nine grand just to transport my crotch from place to place quickly. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I needed to buy something that cooks rice, so one day I went to Sears and bought it, and on my way out, someone asked me "Is that a rice cooker?" and I replied "Why yes, yes it is!"

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
firefighter81 said:
Ummmm, sorry to say, she's right, a japanese bike is a rice-rocket, just like my 996 and RS250 are both pasta-rockets. I've never heard a car called a rice-rocket, it's called a riceburner though. I lived in Seattle for 12 years too, my bikes were always called rice-rockets and that's what I called them, that or crotch rocket, or just "the bike."

See i still dont think she is. I dont even live in Seattle anymore, that was last year. I dont know about anywhere else, but where i grew up in CA, a rice rocket was the same as a rice burner. It had nothing to do with a sportbike. So when she named it something that i had only associated with a car, i didnt like it. I still dont like to call them crotch rockets, it just sounds dumb.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Squid Killer said:
I didnt spend nine grand just to transport my crotch from place to place quickly. :D
thats funny :lol as for dealerships around here they refer to them as crotchrockets. :twofinger im gonna make my miata a ricer! :twofinger

·
Registered
39 Posts
I say "rice rocket my arse this is canned heat bitch" :angry then.... blam tag that biatch in the eye, stand over them for a minute (for the dramatic effect) then I say somthing else that is very clever and raw like where's the rice rocket now huh. Then I walk away laughing. :lol

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I call them crotch rockets.
To me, insisting on calling them Sport Bike is like in the military calling women 'females', never women or girls. A little formal for common vernacular among friends.
Anything from japan, car or bike, is usually called a rice-grinder, rice-burner, etc.
Being an HD guy myself, I always thought it was funny to see guys with the 'American PRide" type shirts for HD. Considering a good chunk of any HD is made in japan (electronics, brakes, suspension parts) it's just kind of stupid. Sort of like the Heartbeat of America slogan for Chevy. The IROC I had was made in Canada.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I believe the term rice-rocket was originally named for japanese bikes. Once the lame ass import trend came around that term was applied to them. Either way, I don't care what they call it because it's faster and cooler than what those ignorant people have.

I just call it my bike.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
eehh who cares what ppl call it. I've never heard some ove all it a "rice rocket" but I get the "crotch rocket" all the time. I just tell um they are right, sake of argument. Why should I go out of my way to correct ppl? If that's what they wanna call it, let um. I know what it is, so that's all that matters...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts