Sport Bikes banner

A qusstion bout uneven tire wear.

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  falco 
#1 · (Edited)
A question bout uneven tire wear?

Hi peeps i'm new here. I got a question bout tire wear. I got a 01 zx9r. I was wondering if uneven tire wear will make your bike feel like it wants to ride off balance.

Example: I put 04 Bridgestone Batalax on, 120 in front, 190 in the rear. At about 1500-2000 miles with no burnouts, riding on unlevel streets (usually higher to the nutral ground, lower to the sidewalk) i the tire wears more on the nutral ground side. This makes your bike want to lean to the left when being ridden correct? If im correct, i was thinking about taking a belt sander to the higher part of the tire to try to correct this.

Tires are expensive at $400 a set! What to do about this nussance? Anybody got experience/advice with this or is it just my bike? :monstergr

#3 ·
Realy? I don't remember exactly how much i paied but it was under 400, i just rounded it off. It's 30 per tire if you bring the whole bike in to change them, the rear tire was like 140, and the front i don't remember the price of.

#4 ·
I can't see how every single rode and mile you put on the bike ALL the roads were like that and caused that to happen.

Do you check the tire pressure regularly?

I'm confused on this...i think i got a headache :twofinger

#7 ·
Rascus said:
I can't see how every single rode and mile you put on the bike ALL the roads were like that and caused that to happen.

Do you check the tire pressure regularly?

I'm confused on this...i think i got a headache :twofinger
Yea, im chronic about proper tire pressure. I keep a digi tire guage and a compressor at home for that, and woun't ride unless it's correct.

#8 ·
You need to stop, take a look and think about this. MOTORCYCLES ARE AN EXPENSIVE HIGH MAINTENANCE HOBBY!!!! Tires a liquid. If you ride alot or ride hard you will go thru tires. I have a stack in my garage. If you are going to own a motorcycle you will have to accept the fact that YOU WILL be buying tires at a regular basis. I've gone thru at least 4 sets since this spring of 04.

About you taking a belt sander to your tire. What are you fucking nuts? The little japanese guy is over there scratching his head at this one. Dude, go buy yourself a new tire before you kill yourself from your own personal New Orleans customized belt sanded tire.

About the uneven tire wear. Thats normal, the road buckles from cars and trucks and in alot of places engineers lay the road so it IS NOT even for rain run off.

Will the bike track wrong from an uneven tire? UHHHH YEA!

Don't be suprised if you get in a nasty tank slapper at 150 mph from your uneven belt sanded customized personal New Orleans Modified tire Either.

Peace Out, and don't take my comments personally, I'm just having fun here.

Later,

Nick

#9 ·
mikev7 said:
Hey whats the happs scot? Its the same mike from sportbikes.com.

So, even if the tires wear unevenly, it still wont make the bike ride crooked unless the tires are out of alignment right?

Yep!

Or the frame/swingarm is cocked...

Keeping everything straight also helps chain/sprocket life.

Scott :alky

#10 ·
Sanding the rubber down on the tire is the same as burning rubber. That's the basis i went on. It worked pretty good. I can control my tire wear with it. Racers custom cut their own tire patterns for their races at trackside sometimes.

#11 ·
What? Why would a racer cut their tire? RACERS use slicks, you don't want a pattern in a slick. Are you talking about dirtbikes or something? I've spent a good time around tracks and watching motorcycle racing, and I've never seen someone cut their tires.

#12 ·
firefighter81 said:
What? Why would a racer cut their tire? RACERS use slicks, you don't want a pattern in a slick. Are you talking about dirtbikes or something? I've spent a good time around tracks and watching motorcycle racing, and I've never seen someone cut their tires.

Sanding and cutting tires isn't the same my friends. Supermoto guys cut grooves in there slicks for better traction going from one terrain to the other.

BUT SANDING DOWN YOUR TIRE BECAUSE ITS WORE OUT IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF MAN. :chair You quailify for the Darwyn awards for this one :lol

In fact, you should start a thread in Performance and tech describing your new thought up engineering technic about tire maintenance, you know what, you should even go help out all the racers at the track and tell them you are going to sand down there tires and save them money.

HA HA. HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUNNY.

#13 ·
Yeah man. Everyone who knows anything sands their tires. Its a Sunday night ritual for me... and then I armor-all them to make them look newer. Make sure you put a few good thick coats on the tire so it doesn't rub off on the road.

#14 ·
You were joking about belt sanding the tire right? There is no way possible you are serious!

Here is an idea..........Just flip the tire to wear out the other side. Report back how well that worked for ya! :D

Dont listen to chills about Armor all.....Black Magic tire shine is MUCH better and stays on longer :headbang

#15 ·
:nuts No, sanding the rubber is the same as scrubbing it off from normal tire wear. I've also seen street bike racers custom cut their tires. I'm always questioned but never wrong. Don't have me find a pic of hayden custom cutting his tires. You're laughing at me but you're telling me to put the tire on aginst it's recommended directional arrow.

If you're just gonna blirt out something and really don't know what you're talking bout, save it.

This is you: :drool

This is me!: :2devil

#16 ·
grasshopper said:
Sanding and cutting tires isn't the same my friends. Supermoto guys cut grooves in there slicks for better traction going from one terrain to the other.

BUT SANDING DOWN YOUR TIRE BECAUSE ITS WORE OUT IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF MAN. :chair You quailify for the Darwyn awards for this one :lol

In fact, you should start a thread in Performance and tech describing your new thought up engineering technic about tire maintenance, you know what, you should even go help out all the racers at the track and tell them you are going to sand down there tires and save them money.

HA HA. HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUNNY.
My tire aint worn, it's only got about 1500 miles on it. Their still in great condidion

#17 ·
mikev7 said:
:nuts No, sanding the rubber is the same as scrubbing it off from normal tire wear. I've also seen street bike racers custom cut their tires. I'm always questioned but never wrong. Don't have me find a pic of hayden custom cutting his tires. You're laughing at me but you're telling me to put the tire on aginst it's recommended directional arrow.

If you're just gonna blirt out something and really don't know what you're talking bout, save it.

Sanding rubber is NOT even close to being the same as scrubbing a tire through normal wear. That's ridiculous. Also, I've seen many trackday riders flip their tires around to get a few more sessions out of them when they are more worn on the right than on the left.

Grasshopper is pretty knowledgeable about bikes and bike-related shit. He's also a damn good rider. Don't take what he says personally, but listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

Oh, and those are cute smileys. How did you know he has a drooling problem? :lol

#18 ·
Do what you want to do with your tires man. Just remember that cutting groves in slicks for racing applications isn't even rometly close to you trying to take a damn belt sander to your tires. What are you going to do eye ball how much rubber you cut off your tire with the belt sander? If you take a belt sander to your tire it will almost 99% surely not be round anymore. What do you think is going to happen when your riding down the highway with a tire that is not round?

In a New Orleans Voice "Oh man, these tiiiirrrres feal great now, I need to beeealt sand all myyyy friiieeends tiiiires".

Tires are one of the most important things on a motorcycle. They are what connect your highly thought up engineered bike to the road. Messing with them with your New Orleans genious ideas will only get you dead :hshot

#19 ·
Ok, if you say so. I did it and i can't imagine where i could have a problem with it. I only shaved a light amount of rubber off. I can't see where it's even remotely dangerous or stupid. You can't even tell i did it cause the tire wears the exact same way on concrete (verry siimilar to sand paper).

#22 ·
yamaweezle said:
I joined SBN to laugh at this thread!!! Now, if you will excuse me, I've got a bent rear rim to true-up in the wood planer...
:boid YAP YAP YAP! I think i know more than you all! Its possible to control the wear on the tire so yap on! When your bike gets an annoying uneven wear angle on them (if you even have a bike), you put the tire on against the recommended direction and call me stupid while you're doing it. Go ride with a backward tire on and have it blow out at 155 mph while i ride off on my regular tire. Y'all must be thinking bout a plane. I'm not removing chunks off my tire you know. :nutkick

#23 ·
mikev7 said:
:boid ...I think i know more than you all! Its possible to control the wear on the tire...
Well, then you better stop thinking, and come down to reality...There is no controlling tire wear, but "prevention", that's a different story...You can prevent tire wear through tire pressure, wheel alignment, suspension setting, tire size (wrong for the bike), and even tire brand plays a factor (tread pattern)...Ask anyone on this, or any other board...They will all give you similar advice...If you have abnormal tire wear, it's not time to break-out the Black&Decker, it's time to figure out what is causing it... :twofinger

#24 ·
mikev7 said:

Find a pic of Nicky Hayden cutting his tires....please, find it :confused:

#25 ·
yamaweezle said:
Well, then you better stop thinking, and come down to reality...There is no controlling tire wear, but "prevention", that's a different story...You can prevent tire wear through tire pressure, wheel alignment, suspension setting, tire size (wrong for the bike), and even tire brand plays a factor (tread pattern)...Ask anyone on this, or any other board...They will all give you similar advice...If you have abnormal tire wear, it's not time to break-out the Black&Decker, it's time to figure out what is causing it... :twofinger
What's causing it is the unlevel streets, i hope. The bike had never been wrecked. I don't even do burnouts on it. I started to burnout (twice) after i caught a nail in my rear tire. The bike has been serviced as specified, the swingarm ain't loose and is freshly lubed. I inspect my bike before every ride and all. It just wants to lean to the left when i ride.

#26 ·
firefighter81 said:
Find a pic of Nicky Hayden cutting his tires....please, find it :confused:
Actually i looked for one. I gave up though. Don't remember if it was in a mag or what,, or on speed. I specificly remember a racer cutting his motorcycle tires at trackside, by his trailer with i think a bike behind him with tire warmers on it. I could be wrong but i think it's what i saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.