Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a discussion in one of my local city's motorcyclist forums, I jumped in a thread from someone asking for advice about their first bike being either a GS500 or an SV650 and recommended that he take a closer look at the FZ6 in the same price bracket.

Everyone on the board seems to be shocked that I would even suggest it, for those of you who really wanted an SS (ahem, AirForceTeacher!) or are worried about lack of respect you're getting on the FZ6... read this post, it cracked me up a little bit - but I kind of enjoy knowing that in Toronto (at least) people seem to feel humbled by the power of the FZ. :)

your going to recommend a bike with about 100hp to a beginner? dont you think thats a bit outrageous? yamahas website considers the fz6 to be a supersport [edit BinaryJay: No, it doesn't.]. i have no problems with the fz6, but it being so closely related to the r6 and the manufactures who made it deem it to be a super sport, i can see a problem quickly arising for a new rider with the fz6.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Yes, they understand. I agree with their assessment that this wouldn't be a good first bike too... this is no weak SV we've got here! :lol

I must say though, all it takes is me walking out and seeing my FZ in the garage or out in the parking lot at work for me to fall in love with her all over again. :neener

·
Registered
898 Posts
crx81 said:
Yes, they understand. I agree with their assessment that this wouldn't be a good first bike too... this is no weak SV we've got here! :lol

I must say though, all it takes is me walking out and seeing my FZ in the garage or out in the parking lot at work for me to fall in love with her all over again. :neener
I agree with you there. I have only owned my FZ6 for 2 weeks now and I still love the sight of it everytime I see it. I kinda have to disagree about the first bike thing. I owned an old dirt bike about 10 years ago and rode it but I just bought this FZ6 as my first street bike and it impresses the hell out of me. My wife is learning to ride it also and she has never been in the driver's seat of a motorcycle in her life. I took her out and let her ride around a parking lot for 30 minutes or so and she did very well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I took fizzy to doc wongs class last night and she garnered a lot of attention. He was inspecting her pretty close and another serious rider commented on her versatility and said I made a good choice. Serious riders do see the quality and the perfect balance between sport and real life. As far as using a fizzy as a beginners bike, I think older people and really serious/research oriented people would be fine on it. In the lower rpms she has a perfect learning feel. I wouldn't put a kid on just because her power in the upper rpm's is very tempting and it takes self control to not just bust her lose and bust a head. In fact as a 29 yo mom, the only reason I think I am doing well on it is because I am so cautious as to border on paranoia. It is a good beginners bike for a mature beginner that knows his limits and is taking riding very seriously imho.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The motorcycle maintenance clinic. It was due for it's first oil change so he used it as a demo. Was pretty funny watching him get all curious and start going over it. I felt even better about my choice after talking to him and some other riders. hopfully my turns will improve enough next month to hit his ride.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It seems like there are a lot of crash reports in this forum. Also a lot of first time riders. Might be a coincidence.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the crash reports are because first timers do crash, moderates crash and ol' timers crash, you see it on any board I know one person who has crashed his 250 ninja 3 times in the past 2 years. My brother rode for 40 years and still died in a crash ... a lot of people don't ride all winter and promptly crash first thing this time of year. They may be super careful all spring thinking "I haven't ridden for awhile" and the minute they feel comfy down they go. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
nig said:
It seems like there are a lot of crash reports in this forum. Also a lot of first time riders. Might be a coincidence.
I think there have been more crash reports lately because it's finally riding season for us northerners, so there's more of us on the roads.

·
Registered
419 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
In fact as a 29 yo mom, the only reason I think I am doing well on it is because I am so cautious as to border on paranoia.
Your kids must think that you're the coolest mom in the world riding a semi sports bike and all! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
The kids are pretty excited and he loves it if he is at the park when I come home and I drive by and honk in front of his friends. But mostly they want me to get good so they can come too :) I keep telling them "maybe in a year or two"

·
Registered
457 Posts
Binary Jay said:
IEveryone on the board seems to be shocked that I would even suggest it, for those of you who really wanted an SS (ahem, AirForceTeacher!) or are worried about lack of respect you're getting on the FZ6... read this post, it cracked me up a little bit - but I kind of enjoy knowing that in Toronto (at least) people seem to feel humbled by the power of the FZ. :)

Hey!
I resemble that remark! :)

I did buy the FZ6 hoping for the SS features (as opposed to the SV) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.

I would agree that it's just outside being a good beginner bike. My first bike was my Seca II, and at low rpm's, the FZ is very similar, it only pulls about 20% quicker at stop lights. Now, that may be just because I'm still in break-in, and shifting way early. I could wind my Seca all the way up to rev-limiter pretty often when starting at lights, and I don't think I'll do that nearly as much on Fizzy!

·
Registered
419 Posts
In 1rst I go ilegal before i hit the rev limiter.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
FAZtER said:

Im pretty sure we all do unless we got a 70 mph highway nearbye. Im pretty sure shell do 68 mph in first at the funstopper. (rev limiter)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't really like changing gears at the rev limiter, it's got to be rough on the tranny. It sure does sound sweet coming away from the red light and remembering to shift at 90 km/h, though. :)

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
MY BLUE BEAUTY IS THE BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD, ive rode a little dirt before and she is my first street bike. and as far as learning on her, its been wonderful!!! only complaint i would have to say for a newbie and this sexy beast is the overly sensitive throttle response, takes a bit to get used to. but if i can do it (at 20yrs old) then im sure plenty others can too. i almost bought an F4i instead, but looking back i'm super happy with my purchase, just wish that exhaust would get here soon. too soft sounding right now. BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
this is my first bike i have ever owned. dirt or street. i love it. after seven months of riding her i have more and more fun and looks from people all the time. the only one thing i can say bout it as a beginner bike is have respect for the bike. dont be crazy and try to push it and you will be ok. got buddies wanting me to do wheelies and to keep up with them when they are hall'n ass. never done a wheelie except for a couple of power wheelies and see too many people crash doing them so i dont even try. tempting but not worth crashing and hearing crap from my wife. then the riding would be over. anyways have fun, be safe, and take it at your own pace.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got a PM on another board for motorcyclists in Toronto, thought I'd share.

"your bike is very cool... I wanna see, show up to some rides sometime dude..."

Hooray for our cool bikes. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
FAZtER said:
I made a speed run Sunday of about 45 miles with a CBR600 and an R6 and never dipped below 105 mph. We took turns leading and I could hold my own to about 145.
I have hit the rev limiter in second a few times but the power sucks above 12k and with out regearing its a waste to spend any time above 13k on the tach. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
The bike will land you in jail just as fast as the full fairing racers. The comfort factor makes this bike more fun to take road trips, the R6 is hard on the lower regions and I get arm weary quicker in the R6 position. I tuck around 80 barely feel the wind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hooray indeed. <----J. Peterman voice :lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts