Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wondering...I checked all the threads here and didnt see it and i checked the MSF site for California and it was kinda vague. It said that in order to take the license test or get the waiver from the MSF class, i could do one of the following, take a chp basic riders course, written test, or have a class c cali license. Now i have a drivers license(class c) does that mean i can go straight to MSF and take the course and get my license?? I dont see how having a class c drivers license would be needed to get my bike license...but i'm new so =/. Any help would b great and very much appreciated thanks guys=).

Oh yeah and whats a good beginning bike, i was thinking a Honda CBR600rr just cuz i like honda for some reason and good deals right now... ok thanks again guys

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Sounds to me like it's saying you need a Class C license to take the course in CA. Which is what other states require as well. You still have to take the class.

As far as a good starter bike, that's a whole different can of worms, and trust me, you are opening a BIG ASS CAN OF WORMS. RacerX should be responding with the start small links soon enough, if he doesn't I'll post them. A 600RR is NOT a good starting bike, maybe you can check into the threads by evils-03-600rr or whatever his name his, you can see how well he's doing starting on that same bike. Ninja 500R, Suzuki GS500F, both great beginner bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks a lot man, and also i want to ride in full gear all the time...not trying to get myself killed...but how much is a complete set of gear=nice helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, ya know?

·
Registered
498 Posts
xzellx1569 said:
hey thanks a lot man, and also i want to ride in full gear all the time...not trying to get myself killed...but how much is a complete set of gear=nice helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, ya know?
$1000 would be a realistic minimum. $1500 would be better and get you a good combination of medium to high-end leather gear short of a one-piece racing suit.

For reference, here is my day-to-day gear:

Joe Rocket Speedmaster: $480
Fieldsheer Sport Air Pants: $250
Joe Rocket GPX Gloves: $110
Sidi Vertebra 2 Boots: $230
Arai Signet GTR Helmet: $400

Total: $1470

I also have a Fieldsheer Mach 2 mesh/leather jacket and a Fieldsheer Carbon Race jacket. Add $500 to the above total to cover those.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I believe that CA requires a class C license plus passing the written m/c test (givng you a m/c premit) in order to take the MSF. But this may vary depeding on your age (over or under 18).

Plus, don't forget pants in the list of gear. Asphalt eats away skin just as well on your legs as anywhere else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK figured it out, i called the place and they told me that because i have a CA class C license, and am 18, all i have to do is take the MSF class and the waiver i am given will be turned into the DMV for a new license= Class CM, allowing me to ride !!! Thanks for the info guys. Now on to the options of a bike and gear...

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you're dead set on a honda cbr at least get a used cbr 600 f2 / f3...that way when you lay it down for the first time it wont hurt ( your pocket that is) as much...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stay safe on any 600 dood! My ninja 500 is plenty enough for me and I haven't had it over 75 yet (engine break in is boring!) But I'm sure the 600s are more than I could handle being a beginner. happy with my choice to start small. will sell in a yr or two and upgrade once my skills have improved. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts