Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't Do This

Published: Jun 1, 2004

There are things you shouldn't do in times of hurricanes because they are myths, dangerous or a waste of time. For instance:
* Don't tape windows. Tape does almost no good - and it's a mess to remove.

* Don't open a window away from the wind direction. Any opening can allow wind inside the home, and the wind can shift.

* Don't go near windows or glass patio doors during a storm.

* Don't empty an in-ground pool. The water table can rise from the rain and force the pool up, perhaps out of the ground.

* Don't use candles for light if the power goes off. The danger of fire is too great.

* Don't use a charcoal or gas grill to cook indoors.

* Don't approach animals wandering after the storm. Even docile pets can be unnerved by a storm and could bite.

* Don't connect a generator directly to your home's electric system. It can electrify lines outside and endanger neighbors and utility workers.

* Don't drive through moving water over a road. Even six inches of flowing water can cause a car to float.

* If returning after an evacuation, don't stay in the house if you smell gas. Open windows and leave.

* Don't let your pets out after the storm without a leash. With landmarks gone, they can get lost and perhaps encounter displaced wild animals.

* Don't sightsee in damaged neighborhoods.

* Don't stay after an evacuation is ordered. Rescue workers will not try to reach you at the height of the storm.

* Don't bring guns, alcohol or pets to a public shelter.

* Don't touch metal fences after a storm. They could be touching downed power lines.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Actually the tape does help with tempered glass but not with plate glass. Plate glass is too heavy and breaks in too big of pieces it just tears the tape. When we extricate vehicles, if we have time we tape the tempered glass windows before we break them b/c it holds all of the glass together and keeps it from going everywhere. The tape will hold the tempered glass together like the laminant on your windshield tempered glass. Your sliding glass doors should all be made out of tempered glass, not all windows are but it should say in the very corner what kind of glass it is... Ok enough of my nerd input :D.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

:lol!!! Thats my favorite one, you wouldn't think anyone would be that stupid, but its on the list b/c someone has been stupid enough to do it.

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Actually the tape does help with tempered glass but not with plate glass. Plate glass is too heavy and breaks in too big of pieces it just tears the tape. When we extricate vehicles, if we have time we tape the tempered glass windows before we break them b/c it holds all of the glass together and keeps it from going everywhere. The tape will hold the tempered glass together like the laminant on your windshield tempered glass. Your sliding glass doors should all be made out of tempered glass, not all windows are but it should say in the very corner what kind of glass it is... Ok enough of my nerd input :D.
I just pulled these off a website, so by all means, if anyone has any to add to this list, please post them up.

I hope everyone stays safe out there.

Gov

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
SicFLgirlR6 said:

:lol!!! Thats my favorite one, you wouldn't think anyone would be that stupid, but its on the list b/c someone has been stupid enough to do it.

:lol I laughed too......same reason preperation-H has a warning not to take as an oral medication :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'd like to point out the one about hooking generators to your home electrical grid. As an employee of the local electric department, I hear about this all the time during storm season.

Some people may not realize that a transformer can/does work in reverse. While you plug a 120 volt generator into your house socket, it's gonna travel up through your meter can and out to the transformer. That transformer is going to step up the voltage to thousands of volts.

While it will not have as many amps on it as normal, it only takes 1 amp to stop a person's heart. So keep your lineman in mind as you fire up the generators, you might just spare somebody's life. Thanks!

·
Banned
38 Posts
Ride Motorcycle???

·
Registered
92 Posts
. * Don't open a window away from the wind direction. Any opening can allow wind inside the home said:
Actually opening or closing a window doesnt really matter, some people say it keeps the house from imploding because of varying air pressures on the inside and outside of the structure. ** info found in USA Today **

:alky HURRICANE PARTY AT MY PLACE :alky :lol :lol j/k

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am going to be flying a kite in my front yard, and going tubing down my street. =) hurricane party!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nekkid Bobby said:
I'd like to point out the one about hooking generators to your home electrical grid. As an employee of the local electric department, I hear about this all the time during storm season.

Some people may not realize that a transformer can/does work in reverse. While you plug a 120 volt generator into your house socket, it's gonna travel up through your meter can and out to the transformer. That transformer is going to step up the voltage to thousands of volts.

While it will not have as many amps on it as normal, it only takes 1 amp to stop a person's heart. So keep your lineman in mind as you fire up the generators, you might just spare somebody's life. Thanks!
Bobby, whatever area you're working in I'm gonna come and hook up my generator to the power grid somehow :D :D

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I wish my sister would let me pull my bike in the house...lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
Steve,

I'm a computer geek, I just work within the Electric Department. So you wont bother me, but I got a couple of fellas here that might have a problem with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nekkid Bobby said:
Steve,

I'm a computer geek, I just work within the Electric Department. So you wont bother me, but I got a couple of fellas here that might have a problem with it.

Damn it man!! I was doin' my best to carry out your ex-wife's wishes!! :twofinger :twofinger

·
CaGeD FuRy !!!
231 Posts
Rule # 101 of Florida hurrcanes unofficially added 8/13/04 do not run east when storm approaches from the west :eek: , AND do not head west when storm approches from the East. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts