Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to order a box of general purpose latex gloves and use them as a liner inside my leather gloves. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions ir comments based on experiwnce. I'm getting too grumpy and old for cold hands.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I got some silk liners I think off motorcycle superstore that work well. Only complaint is they stick to Velcro like crazy and will start to get loose threads big youre not careful

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Options:

1) Liners - silk as mentioned, or string-knit work gloves like these
2) Snowmobile gloves
3) Clip-on hand guards
4) Heated gloves

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've got therma silk liners that you can pick up at any sporting good stores. I'll sport them as the weather starts to drop, but as mentioned they do stick to velcro like crazy. Then for really cold/wet weather I've got some winter gloves but can't think of the name of them off the top of my head. For California "Cold" days they work great and keep my hands nice and toasty. I've noticed if I layer up and it's not ridiculously cold I don't need the liners or the heavier gloves, especially if I can keep my core warm.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Cycle gear had their brand of Liners that I actually liked quite well. Their thermals aren't too bad either. But I had used the nitrite gloves as well and the only bad thing I have found is that my hands will sweat, even if it's cold and that makes my hands even colder.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now i have a 45 minute commute and I leave home before 6am or else I wouldn't bother. I cant layer because ii usually wear a collared shirt and tie. I rarely go where its really cold so that can't justify electric heat. Layering does work great though for most california colds (coastal cruises up north or mountainous expeditions).

Ill try them silk gloves at a store.

·
Registered
917 Posts
What temperatures are we talking about here? I've found that even at long distances on the highway, I can manage temps down into the 40s with just my winter gloves. Any colder and I'd recommend heated liners.

The major problem with the heated liners is having to install the battery connection, the leads going through your jacket, and then having to plug everything in when going for a ride. It's worth it for the warmth you get though all over your hands.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I mentioned, its just temporary til I move back to orange county. I got spoiled caging it with light holiday traffic but that was just as boring has regular traffic. I wanna ride.

Eventually ill get electrical heat but ill buy a sport tourer first. I want to ride to vancouver once a year eventually and I love yosemite and tahoe already.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I've tried the latex gloves before with no success. I've also tried the snowmobile gloves and hated them, too bulky and after a while my hands got cold. What has somewhat worked for me have been regular waterproof gloves and some glove liners I got from cyclegear.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Right now i have a 45 minute commute and I leave home before 6am or else I wouldn't bother. I cant layer because ii usually wear a collared shirt and tie. I rarely go where its really cold so that can't justify electric heat. Layering does work great though for most california colds (coastal cruises up north or mountainous expeditions).

Ill try them silk gloves at a store.
Ride with your fly open....The colder your nuts get, the less your hands will bother you.:majoreact

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have some thinsulate liners I slip into my regular gloves. They did well for me in Philadelphia down to about 20deg. My hands weren't toasty but the chill was not unbearable or anything. I don't mind a little discomfort.....alot is a different story, though

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Before I bought a bike with a fairing that actually blocks the wind to the hands, heated gloves were the only real option for below 40 degrees comfort. Heated grips did nothing for the sides of my thumbs or top of my hands. Gerbings' gloves were updated a few years back to better warm the thumbs as well.

Now that I have a fairing in front of the grips, regular winter gloves with no linings work just find down into the low teens.

As for a liner, try to find a material which doesn't "grip" the inner lining of your gloves when dry and when wet. Some seem fine when it's dry, but grip like a mofo when they get wet.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Have used the electric gloves, silk gloves and the liners from Cycle Gear. Have found removing the liners actually gave me better circulation and hands stayed warmer. Of course my new bike has heated grips and I will never have another bike without them.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think electric is the way to go. I had a loaner from the dealership and loved it so much I had it on when it wasn't even cold. There's sometging about it, maybe its the blood circulating. I never thought I'd like it becau see I know what real cold is and I live in So Cal but as a motorcyclist its something else.

I just got home from a two day trip and maybe its age catching up or something but being well insulated with layers only did so much.

I don't plan many trips in the cold and soon ill move closer to my work place but ill probably keep all this in mind if I go back to buying a sport tourer. I might jump at heates grips in the meantime...its pretty cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts