Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This just happened today on my way home from work. I live in Las Vegas where it's over 100 degrees out right now. No, lane splitting is not legal in my state so I usually only do it when I'm red lights. As you can see in the video, I try to do it as safe as possible, not going too fast, constantly scanning the road, and covering my brakes.

The guy didn't hit me obviously... it was more of a half-assed attempt to scare me I think. This actually isn't the first time. It's like they want to hit you with their door but they don't have the balls to do it. If he actually opened it wide open, I would have certainly 100% beat his ass into a mushy ball of hamburger. :flare
But really, this is EXACTLY why I always wear my gopro when riding my motorcycle. If you don't already have a camera on your helmet, you should seriously think about it.
PS. I've been a lurker here for the past 2 years and this is finally my first post. Hi.

-lane splitting is very common here. we are 35 miles away from california and 50% of the cars on this road have CA plates
-i am not trying to be a bad ass
-i was not going fast.
-yes, i didnt realize the person opened the door to spit something out. it all happened really fast. of course i would be mad if i thought it was intentional. you would be mad too.

Here's the video:

·
Registered
538 Posts
100 degrees and traffic makes a lot of people pissed off. Not surprised at this kind of behavior even in a state where lane splitting is legal.
My suggestion= ride at night or after traffic dies or take the bike to the sticks and ride. That's why I do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cali wanna be eh? tease. But really, if lane splitting is illegal in your state you really don't have any recourse even if the cager opened the door intentionally. Basically you shouldn't have been there.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I can't believe the garbage I'm reading in this thread. It's also illegal to speed. How many of you choir boys stay within the legal speed limit? I guess if you're speeding and someone doesn't like you passing them, it's ok if they intentionally try to run you off the road!! Nothing to see here... move along

Speeding, illegal for sure, is certainly more accepted and something most all do. Lane splitting is not common, except in CA, so people are not used to seeing it happen. They are taking offense to someone getting ahead of them in heavy traffic and they don't like it. It appeared to be as thought the OP was moving a little fast at times with the splitting in between the cars. This certainly doesn't excuse anyone from trying to hurt him but the OP could decrease his chances if he rode just a little slower while doing this illegal move.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
So....it's NOT legal in your state, yet you're suprised at this behaviour by other motorists? Now I'm not condoning it or anything, but you're naive to think it's not going to piss people off. When other motorists do illegal acts around your general area does it not annoy you?
I also like how the other guy is the asshole, and not himself for lane-splitting illegally.

:fail

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
In that scenario; drove off. Looked like he was trying to play the part of a "bad ass," not trying to be one.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I personally would not lane split but regardless if it is legal or not that does not give someone the right to try to kill you.

Just like if you are riding 70mph in a 65mph zone, it is illegal but it does not give someone the right to sit there with a gun and shoot you for speeding.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
To the OP, you were there so you have a better sense of it than I... :) But the video makes it look like he was just opening his door to spit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OP quit your bitching, watch your own video too. Check out what the person in the car is doing when they open the door and think about what you would be doing if you intentionally opened the door on someone. You wouldn't stick your head down next to the door like you were spitting unless you were actually spitting. Now also think about the person in that car, do you think they checked their mirror to see if somebody was breaking the law and lane splitting before they opened their door to spit? Yeah probably not seeing as how it is illegal and doesn't happen very often in your state.

Now for the 100 degree thing, again quit crying. I ride in Florida where it is over 95 degrees all the time with 100% humidity, I don't whine and say I have to lane split just so I'm not hot. I suck it up and sit in traffic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now also think about the person in that car, do you think they checked their mirror to see if somebody was breaking the law and lane splitting before they opened their door to spit? Yeah probably not seeing as how it is illegal and doesn't happen very often in your state..
This is true... In a state where lane splitting is not legal and not the norm, people are not expecting a motorcycle to lane split. If you would have been hit by the door, you would be at fault because you're not supposed to be there in the first place...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Every time I lane split in the bay area of Ca, jerks always try cutting you off out of jealousy.

Not being seen, accidental door openings, normal lane changes, all come with the territory.

Don't do it unless your prepared to deal with the full assault you will face.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I am so glad we have the freedom of lane splitting in the UK . I just can not imagine sitting in traffic while a perfectly good stretch of tarmac that I pay tax for goes unused . I am also glad that 99% of car drivers pull out the way so we can motor past . Jealousy they may have but acceptance of the situation means it's passive .. " Bloody biker tossers !! O well better pull over and let them through .. lucky phuckers I hate them !! "

1 - 20 of 109 Posts