Sport Bikes banner

81 - 100 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
ccoady06gsxr said:
in 2nd gear at about 40mph pull in the clutch until it hits about 10,000 then drop the clutch and up you'll go.
Have you 'dropped the clutch' at 10K on your Gixxer thou?

I dont know, maybe the octane level in your fuel is a tad lower, and makes all your bikes go like shite, but if we did that over here on a late model though, that would result in at best, a rolling burnout, or at worst, flip city.

the technique is 'dipping' the clutch, as in taking the slack out of the cable, then pulling it to friction point, and letting it out as if you were taking off from the lights....thus gaining revs before clutch engagement.

you are describing the best way to fuck your chain and other such releated gear.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
^^yes^^

You shouldnt teach a newbie to learn clutching by going straight to balance point. You should teach them to clutch it to get the wheel off the ground and accelerate the rest of the way. Once you teach them that they will figure out more efficient ways to get the bike to BP once they are good at it. That is where newbs usually go wrong and wonder why they arent doing good. They think there is a magical spot where they can just rev to x and let the clutch out and expect the bike to just point 50 degrees up and stay there. They dont get that you are supposed to clutch enough to get the wheel about 1 foot off the ground [ as a good rule of thumb while learning ] and keep rolling on the throttle after letting out the clutch but you can still do a bad wheelie just by getting it an inch off the ground and accelerate since the hardest part of getting the wheel off the ground is the first couple inches. If you can get it a couple inches off the ground you can do more, and accelerate through out the whole time while learning. This is a small part of why I say what I do about learning power wheelies.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I love how no one has put up a 'how too guide' regarding the sphincter moment upon discovering front wheel weightlessness.

I remember my first time getting the wheel off the ground, I was so absorbed into trying to ride the thing out, I dont even think I was lookin where I was going, just applied more throttle, and had a bit of a chuckle.

My second time, I launched my gonads up through my mouth, and nearly had a brown moment.

Guys and gals, wheelies are fun and everyone wants to do one, but dont be confused, your bike does NOT have a wheelie button, a 70 Tooth sprocket will not guarantee you the perfect loop free BP wheelie every single time, and your body will need to get used to the feeling of not having that front wheel on the ground
AND COVER YA FARKEN REAR BRAKE

if I had to try and teach anyone, there would be a few hours of lift and tap back down, just to edumacate them in saving a shit wheelie.

but then again, thats just me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It is difficult to get the FZ6 to clutch up in second, but i think it would be possible with the right technique. I've been practicing my 1st gear clutch ups and getting it now, although i'm not getting to BP yet or riding it out. I'm still at the stage of getting comfortable having the wheel in the air. I want to be able to lift the bike but not keep speeding up, i suppose if i can get to BP quicker then i can let off on the throttle a little at that point, just practise i suppose. Anyone got any pointers for someone at my stage of the learning curve?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Dont worry about bp. Practice. Like dragging a knee, it will come with time. If you go straight for balance point wheelies or dragging a knee before proper form you will crash.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
tyg17 said:
it makes it seem so easy.. now i just have to find someone else's bike to practice on
same here :cheers i've done them accelerating hard a few times but never on purpose.
i dont sit towards the back as much as i used to after scaring myself twice on one ride though.

·
Dare Devil!
85 Posts
I'v practiced for ages now to wheelie and found it easiest in first gear and i'v managed 2 keep a wheelie all through first gear but now i want 2 change into 2nd gear but dont know how to. When i wheelie in first i get it to a point where i only need the slightest bit of throttle on and then after a second i will have 2 put a little bit more throttle on for a second then the slightest again, does that mean i'm near balance point? If i am close 2 balance point could i change gear by getting it to the part where i only need the slightest bit of throttle but pulling the clutch in and putting it into 2nd then bit of throttle and slowly let the clutch out? I hope this makes sense lol

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
You dont even know what 2nd gear feels like on one but you want to switch into it from first? You are guaranteed to eat shit doing that. You have to learn second before you can go about power shifting into it. Learn second. Give it lots of revs. dont switch gears. But if you do, dont use the clutch!

·
Dare Devil!
85 Posts
Well i tried doing it without the clutch but it doesnt change into 2nd without letting the throttle pretty much completely off and then it jerks and goes back down. I need to get used 2 clutching then, only done about 2-3 good lifts in 2nd but they went straight back down again... more throttle i'm guessing. I will try this when its not raining and report back. Thanks.

·
Dare Devil!
85 Posts
Starting 2 get it up in 2nd now, i want to be able 2 get it up everytime before i start going from 1st into 2nd, only problem is, when i get it up in 2nd i start 2 travel at a higher speed because i have to use a lot more throttle 2 get it 2 the point i get 2 and when i get 2 that speed it starts 2 wobble, anyone else get this problem?

·
Dare Devil!
85 Posts
Tryed that and it worked perfect, thanks ZxHunter :> It felt so great doing the wheelie in 2nd because you can go for a lot further than in 1st, felt amazing lol Just got to learn how to do it everytime perfect now cause i'm only getting 70% of them.

81 - 100 of 189 Posts