Sport Bikes banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Not always on two
2,727 Posts
thx kninja, its wintertime in PA right now so i gotta wait a few months for riding weather. i do need a bit more riding time, but im just excited to try a wheelie. my next question would be, whats better? power wheelies or clutching wheelies? a buddy of mine at work has been riding for 10 years, he doesn't stunt much, but does power wheelies. however, ive noticed he cant ride them, just pops the front tire for a bit before it sets back down. is clutching better for riding a wheelie?
Clutching is a much better way of quickly and accurately getting it up on one wheel. Clutching is also required on most bikes under 750cc, unless you're doing POW POW's which are not efficient and rather unpredictable. With a clutch up method, you can pop it directly into the angle you want to be at, instead of rising, rising, rising until you get to the point.

I was doing pow pows (what your friend is probably doing) and then learned clutch ups. Haven't done a pow-pow since.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Clutching is a much better way of quickly and accurately getting it up on one wheel. Clutching is also required on most bikes under 750cc, unless you're doing POW POW's which are not efficient and rather unpredictable. With a clutch up method, you can pop it directly into the angle you want to be at, instead of rising, rising, rising until you get to the point.

I was doing pow pows (what your friend is probably doing) and then learned clutch ups. Haven't done a pow-pow since.
Well, I don't exactly agree on the clutching is required on 750cc and below bikes. Other than that though this post is pretty much dead on accurate. Really there is no ONE way to wheelie. It depends on what you are trying to achive VS. the risk at which you are willing to take. If you just want to be able to wheelie down the highway and nothing more you can clutch it up at speed (any where from 40 - 60 mph depending on your bike and skill) where the bike is more stable than a slow wheelie but if something goes wrong the chances of getting hurt go up drastically, because of the speed of course. You can clutch is up from a dead stand still or close to it and you wont go tumbling down the road if something goes wrong but your chances of looping it are higher. Again it's all about risk Vs. reward, and what you really want to achive. I don't know or care if this post helps but it's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
250 Posts
is it better to dump the clutch? or let it out like a first gear take off? when I've tried letting the clutch out is much smoother than dumping the clutch, but which is better?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
does anyone know how to do a power whellie on a 2001 f4i
Stand on the pegs (dont sit), keep it in first gear and crank the throttle. try this at different speeds. make sure your health insurance is up to date and paid in full, and don't do this on public streets.

·
Registered
250 Posts
does anyone know how to do a power whellie on a 2001 f4i
you can also preload the shocks by either pushing down on them or cranking the throttle open, briefly shutting it closed, then whip the throttle back open as fast as you can.

Sprockets also help (b***** in the back, smaller in the front) but then you might need to get a b***** chain to compensate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hy everybody!

Is this topic still up?
I hope so :)...

I'm riding (started in nov. 2010) a stock 2001 CBR600 F4i. It has about 38.000 km on it (that's about 23500 miles, ~1850 made by me). As far as i know, there weren't any jobs made to the clutch.

My problem is that i find it VERY HARD to play with the clutch and i'm not a slim guy (i'm ~ 6' hight and i weight ~195 pounds).
My "pow pow"s (in first gear), as you call them, are getting there (off the ground but nowhere near BP :)) )...
After let's say half an hour of clutching chaseing a wheelie in second gear i barely can ghange the gears hading home.

Is there a problem with my finger, with my clutch or is there a way to make it work easyer?
My left pointer finger (wich i'm using for dumping/slipping/pumping/whatever the clutch) starts hurting like hell but the problem is that because of the finger problem i can't practice in order to start feeling the right amount of speed/clutch/throtle for the second gear clutch wheelies...

What are your advices?

Thanks in advance, i would really apreciate any kind of help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started practicing in a vacant school lot yesterday on a suzuki b king. i dont have access to anything smaller. I had no problem clutching in to get the front wheel up.. about a foot lol. It seems my best results came from clutching in at about 5krpms in first gear and then reving up high (like 10k rpms) and dropping the clutch .. BUT just to make sure im clear on this.. do i roll on the throttle after dropping the clutch? I defenitely feel my peanuts on the seat and let off a little.. which is probably why it doesnt keeping coming up. The bike is so fast i feel like ill loop it at 40 mph. ouch

181 - 189 of 189 Posts