Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about my 500. First, when starting the bike in neutral and putting in first, I feel a little jerk forward. Is that normal? Also, when the bike is standing still, I can only choose between 1st and neutral. Can't get 2nd until I'm actually moving. On the Honda Nighthawk I learned on though, I could switch between different gears while parked, so I just want to make sure it's ok.

Also, the red oil/engine light is on. Any common causes of this, or it's one of those things a service dealer will definitely have to check out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Yes the bike will clunk some going into first gear. Make sure you dont have a lot of freeplay in the clutch. I usually have a the width of nickel or so at the lever, (assuming cable) and I dont remember off my head if the EX is a cable or hydraulic clutch.

2nd yes, most Kawasaki's have a positive neutral finder feature. If the bike isn't moving say about 5 mph or so it will only go from neutral to first. Makes it much much easier to get into neutral

3rd no the light should only come on when u turn the key on and then turn off once the engine starts and builds oil pressure...

·
Registered
968 Posts
+1
Adjust your clutch cable. You'll get used to the neutral finder. Check your oil level before riding it again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...stupid question...how do I check the oil on this? The only oil cap I could see is the one on the right side...somewhat above and forward of the brake pedal. Is that where I would add oil? The thing is, there is no dipstick so how would I know what oil level I should be at?

·
Registered
968 Posts
The side you refer to is the Oil cap. One the same side as the oil cap is a small window (it's circular) on the engine case. With the bike off it's stand (it won't show correctly otherwise) it should fall about halfway on the window. Be sure the bike is cold when you check. Always a little easier with someone sitting on the bike to balance it.

EX500 Info. Make sure to check the faq section.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the tip! I see the oil level is about 3/4 to the top of the window. So that means the oil level is fine right?

Hope it's not something else I need to be paranoid over in regards to the red light being on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I made arrangements for a service and tow to the dealer for Thursday. I'm paranoid it may be something other than a faulty sensore. Hopefully it's not a major problem.

Worst case is that there is something wrong with the oil pressure, oil pump, etc right? Are problems like that very expensive to take care of? I heard the whole motor has to come apart if it's not just a faulty switch.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

·
Registered
10 Posts
shamster: If the oil light comes on when you turn the key to the on position, ie BEFORE you actually start the bike, that is normal. If the light stays on though after you start the bike, that's probably bad news.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts