Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just have a few questions before purchasing a bike

1.) There is a long wait for the MSF course, is there anyway to get it sooner other then being put on standby?

2.) In order to ride a bike with your permit, you need someone who has had there m class license for one year to supervise you. Is this true? Does this mean riding with you on your own bike, or riding together with different bikes?

3.) I am 18, yes this will be my first bike and I understand that the MSF course will lower my insurance rate and also make me comfortable in riding. If I got a loan and purchased a used bike, do I have to get full coverage on the bike? What insurance company do you prefer? and how much do you guys paid (price, and age) .

I think everything will work out, but I'm just worried about my insurance. If you can answer these few questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Michael C. Hsu :beer

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have you called around different places for the MSF course? I live in harford county and i was going to go to the course they offer at Harford Community College but there was over a year wait. So I just went a lil further out of the way and took it at Cecil Community college. I didnt have to wait at all. You also need to make sure your insurance company DOES give lower rates for taking the course. Alot of insurance co.'s are not giving lower rates anymore just because you took the course. I know mine didnt. If they dont then just go take the test through the mva since it really doesnt matter. Not exactly sure on the whole supervision thing. I personally thought you had to be riding with someone who has had thier license for 2-3 years but I could be wrong. and as long as they are riding next to you your fine. they can even be riding next to you in a car, they dont have to be on a bike. Thats what the cop told me when I got in an accident.

If you get a personal loan you dont need full covereage on the bike but with a loan specifically for a motorcycle they will make you get full coverage. I had progressive and thought they were a great insurance company which they are when it comes to bikes but i started shopping around and found 2 much more cheaper ins. co.'s. Ive never had full coverage on a motorcycle because i was always quoted $6000 or more a year for it! I'm only 21 and I've had quite a few tickets :lol For liability only I pay about 50 bucks a month for 9 months. Not too bad considering my driving record :) hope this helps a lil, good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Answers

I was able to get into the MSF class a couple years back, in Harford County, just by showing up. There were 4 open spots (out of 12 on the day I went). I learned that, on the phone they aren't interested in putting you on standby. Just show up, that's the best advice for the MSF (in my opinion).

As for supervision under a learner's- it has to be someone with a mc endorsement for 3 years. They need to be watching- from another bike, a car, or even a window- I don't think you are allowed to carry someone as a passenger with a learner's (and even if you are, it wouldn't be a good idea).

Insurance quotes vary widely- there isn't much good advice to be given here, except call a bunch of places. Statefarm, Progressive, Farmers and Foremost have all had good prices for a particular individual, with a particular set of circumstances. Of course, the type of bike you choose will also greatly affect your rates.

Good luck! :cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
i went through this 3 years ago, i got my lisence at 18, i didn't take the MSF course, i just went and took the written learners test and just learned to ride, the rule with the permit is that you must be riding within 100' of another lisenced rider with at least 3 years experience who is at least 21 years old.(repetitive, i know). ki am on my own insurance, with liablity only, my frist bike i paid for in cash, so i didn;t have a lean on the title. if you have a lean or a loan on the bike u must carry full coverage in MD. if u pay for the bike say with a personal loan(i.e. higher interest rate (12-15%)), vs a bike loan from the bank or dealership(i.e. lower interest rate (3-7%)). ok heres the twist if you pay for the bike with money from a peronsal loan you only need liabality not full coverage, but if you have a specific bike loan, you need to full coverage.

Now for my insurance rate. my first year with no MSF course and i paid for the bike in cash, was $1600 for liability only(full coverage was quoted at over $7000), and i have a really bad driving record (5 points 1 accident), my second year it dropped to $680, for a year, and just this year its only $222. i am with progressive and really like it.

i hope this helps i went though the same stuff, its a pain in the ass, if i were u and you really wanted to ride whatever it costs, get full coverage.

but if you tight on cash, pay the higher interest rate, but carry liablity only, but u have the risk if, i mean when, you wreck(which u will). you loose out big time, but u can save alot of money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just sign up and then when the first class starts go there cause alot of times either people show up late or dont show at all. Once attendance is taken and certain people don't show then the next standbys are allowed to take their place.

Insurance wise, I am in the process of getting a bike at a used bike dealer. So i am financing it through their finance company they have partnered with. Because of this i was told by my previous carrier(Geico) that because it was being financed it had to have full coverage. I was ok with this till they qouted me on teh full coverage for a whole year would cost $2,660. I nearly crapped my pants.

Well i decided Geico was screwing me over and i am not gonna pay this rediculous amount. I called up State Farm, transferred my info and car insurance with them yesterday and not only am i paying cheaper rates for my car alone, but my bike qoute for my 03 r6 was only 107 for liability and comperhensive. Im gonna get full coverage obviously for my bike which will be around 200 maybe less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts