Sport Bikes banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
I am just going to get one thing in before it becomes a sticky.

In my last job I rode to work. I would show up in my Oxtar boots (which would SQUEEK loudly when I walked), some FirstGear riding pants that have leather protection on knees and hips. Leather jacket (depending on temp either my perf or not) which has armor on shoulder and elbows. Back protector (T-Pro level 2 certified [Joe Rocket Speedmaster] ), Gloves, full face helmet. Before i had my Oxtars I wore shin and knee armor as well under my pants.

Now with all that, I would park, and I would stand out on a busy street corner, I would stand out at times with my fellow riders who parked with me at a certain corner in Downtown Rosslyn VA (I am not at this job anymore, but anyone who knows this area knows what I am talking about ;) ).

I would get remarks from other riders, many cruisers were around also. But i would also get LOTS of people asking me HEY what is that where can I get it. Then there would be the everyday people like at my work, or people who I passed on the street.

HEY where's the race! one guy said.
you hot with that stuff on! one other guy said on a code red day (98+ with serious humidity).

I would always talk to them and explain to them real "simple" terms why I have the stuff on. Then suddenly they were like oh... I see ... WOW I guess that's important.

I went out for lunch on an errand, sat down, people came up to me and talk to me about my stuff.. and it dawns on me... when you go out on a bike and dress appropriately.. you are SETTING an example not just for other riders, but for the hugely uneducated non motorcycle public.

YOU are the first line of attack in promoting SAFE- RESPONSIBLE riding to the public. When I had a mother come up to me and said wow my son wants to get into riding he's 16 I didn't know he should have all this stuff on, I am going to tell him now.

When I have a new rider park near me on an R6 and he saw my backprotector and boots, noticing that he had only sneakers on and a jacket, he said is that stuff uncomfortable I was like no it even helps me shift and keep my legs in line. He got the thought in his head wow I can use this stuff.

Wear your stuff, not just cause you're suppose to, but so you can EDUCATE people on what it means to ride responsibly. Make that cager who saw you suddenly THINK TWICE about what those "sport-crotch rider rocket" riders are doing. Let those people on the street corner watching you stand there in 95+ in full leathers CONTEMPLATE what your safety and motorcycle riding MEANS.

so what example do you want to set????

41 - 41 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.