Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so first off, I don't want you thinking I am just some kid looking to get a really fast bike a squid all day long. I am 17 years old, 6 foot 1 and 150 lbs. I have been riding on dirt since I was 4 years old, so, 13.5 years this month. I ride a CRF250R and I am perfectly comfortable on it. I will jump 75 foot doubles no problem. I practice slow motion figure 8s and other maneuvers at least once a week.
Enough background, I want to get into riding on road surfaces. I am doing the MSF class in 3 weeks. I was looking at a CBR250R ABS model as a first bike, but... I don't fit on one. I tried a Ninja 250R and the story repeats. It was cramped and uncomfortable just to sit on in the showroom let alone ride. I tried a SV650 and a Ninja 650 but they didn't feel very good so I hopped on a CBR600RR for grins to see how it felt and it actually was much more comfortable to me. I have no desire to be that "young idiot" doing 150mph and popping wheelies. I don't do anything like that on my motocross bike. I own a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track model, no tickets, not infractions, nothing. I have had my license since the day I turned 16, permit on my 15th Birthday, and I had been driving around my parents farm for a year or two before that. I was wondering yall's thoughts on a 2009 CBR600RR ABS as a bike to start on? I plan to spend a good amount(as much as required to feel comfortable) of hours in an empty parking lot getting used to my bike, no matter what it turns out to be. Just looking for thoughts given my riding background and experience. I want a Shoei, alpinestar full boots, pants, gloves, jacket, every possible safety gear. Thanks for taking the time to read this oh so long winded post!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Your eyes are tricking you into believing that that sexy 600 is more comfortable... Especially if you're coming from a much more upright seating position dirt background.

Shop for insurance on the 600 and see if it still feels as comfortable. :eek:nfloor

Extensive dirt experience or not, a 600 supersport is too much bike for a 17 year old new to street riding.

You're doing everything else right. You're taking the MSF and buying all your gear. Why not make it a trifecta and start on a bit better of a bike. Have you tried sitting on a Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500?

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
I personally think that an SV650 would really be the bike you want in this case...even if it's not as comfortable for you. When I was 15 and 16, I had a Ninja 250 and a YZ450F. As I'm sure you can tell that a mx 250f has more pop than a ninja 250....and a mx 450f has a LOT more pop than a ninja 250.

That being said, I was still pretty well entertained on the ninja 250 for about a year. When I moved up to the SV650, I was sooo happy with it. Keep in mind that I really like going fast and I did some retarded things on my bike...but I still didn't feel like I didn't have enough power. I think that you would like the transition to street bikes more if you got the SV first because the power band is more thumper-like. They sound pretty nice too with a slip on.

Don't kid yourself and pretend like you don't like going fast. I've never jumped anything b***** than 100-110 feet. Back then I did some 80-90ft stuff too and you have to be moving to go that far....on top of that, you got that Genesis coupe because you like going fast. We all do. That's why we buy sportbikes. I just think that the SV650 is a perfect transition from dirt to street. I was foolish back then and my SV gave me plenty of grins and kept me safe.

You'll get used to it when you ride it too more. My Z1000 has a much different seating position than my ZX10 did and it felt weird at first, but now it feels great.

+1 on the insurance. It was bad enough for my SV. It'd get nightmarish for a SS.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
You ride a CRF250R (upright, pegs directly below your ass, as little as you're on them...) but find a Ninja 250, CBR250 and Ninja 650 (upright, pegs directly below your ass) uncomfortable? You find a CBR600RR full tilt forward and rearsets hugged up under your ass comfortable? (And the SV650 is not TOO much less aggressive with the clip ons, though the pegs are the same~ish as the 3 previous bikes.)

Kinda sounds to me like you want a supersport, broseph. :( As mentioned by others, I hope you have deep pockets for a 600cc RR bike at 17. Serious coin there.

If I was you hearing this I'd get an SV650, throw on some Woodcraft rearsets that emulate RR rearsets and call it a day, though I still think the 250/300/500/650 is the way to go. :( That RR and your CRF aren't even in the same category in...anything, other than they both have 2 wheels, clutch, throttle and brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally think that an SV650 would really be the bike you want in this case...even if it's not as comfortable for you. When I was 15 and 16, I had a Ninja 250 and a YZ450F. As I'm sure you can tell that a mx 250f has more pop than a ninja 250....and a mx 450f has a LOT more pop than a ninja 250.

That being said, I was still pretty well entertained on the ninja 250 for about a year. When I moved up to the SV650, I was sooo happy with it. Keep in mind that I really like going fast and I did some retarded things on my bike...but I still didn't feel like I didn't have enough power. I think that you would like the transition to street bikes more if you got the SV first because the power band is more thumper-like. They sound pretty nice too with a slip on.

Don't kid yourself and pretend like you don't like going fast. I've never jumped anything b***** than 100-110 feet. Back then I did some 80-90ft stuff too and you have to be moving to go that far....on top of that, you got that Genesis coupe because you like going fast. We all do. That's why we buy sportbikes. I just think that the SV650 is a perfect transition from dirt to street. I was foolish back then and my SV gave me plenty of grins and kept me safe.

You'll get used to it when you ride it too more. My Z1000 has a much different seating position than my ZX10 did and it felt weird at first, but now it feels great.

+1 on the insurance. It was bad enough for my SV. It'd get nightmarish for a SS.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Don't get me wrong, I like to have a little fun on the on-ramps upon occasion in my car, but I stop at 75-80 mph depending on what road I am entering. Some road around here the speed limit is 75 and people go 80-85. I don't race people though I have had a 370z and a nissan GTR try to get me to :lol3 insurance $$ isn't an issue as I have a steady job and make decent cash. I ultimately want a cbr so I am guessing that is why i want to go straight there justifying it by having ridden so long on dirt. 250s don't fit me from a frame size so better to get a 650 first and learn for a good amount of time then sell it and move up then?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I agree- your line of logic makes little to no sense.

A full super sport with race ergos is not remotely close to a small standard you are used to. If anything the SV650 nekkid sounds like a great option for you. Other wise I absolutely agree with the SV650s.... added rearsets and it becomes quiet aggressive and quiet fun. The sv is under no circumstances a beginner bike so don't think you'll get bored with it.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like to have a little fun on the on-ramps upon occasion in my car, but I stop at 75-80 mph depending on what road I am entering. Some road around here the speed limit is 75 and people go 80-85. I don't race people though I have had a 370z and a nissan GTR try to get me to :lol3 insurance $$ isn't an issue as I have a steady job and make decent cash. I ultimately want a cbr so I am guessing that is why i want to go straight there justifying it by having ridden so long on dirt. 250s don't fit me from a frame size so better to get a 650 first and learn for a good amount of time then sell it and move up then?
Here ya go, CBR to the rescue

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr500r.aspx

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Once you get used to it, buy a set of clip-ons and rearsets. It'll have a more radical seating position than a 600.

Good choice though!!! SV's are fun.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
I was looking at a CBR250R ABS model as a first bike, but... I don't fit on one. I tried a Ninja 250R and the story repeats. It was cramped and uncomfortable just to sit on in the showroom let alone ride.
if that's the case, sport bikes are just not for you. i'm way older, way fatter and about an inch taller than you. a 250 ninja fits me fine. thinking about getting one for track days.

just don't let the "i don't fit" argument put you on a bike you have no business on. if you don't fit on the smaller displacement model, you don't fit on the one with the b***** engine. it's just that simple...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
You're coming off dirt bikes, looking for a fun first street bike... Why not look at a super moto? They're loads of fun!

·
Registered
848 Posts
SV or smaller all the way.

when i got into bikes, i looked at power/weight ratio. started on.... 1992 Nighthawk CB750. before ya freak.. check it's specs, it's a dog compared to what i have ridden since, but i actually enjoyed that bike a lot since i knew/felt it wasn't gonna bite too easily. rode it for 2 years. moved up to a VFR800, which probably was NOT the smartest thing, but after riding for 2 years, i knew that i had self control to NOT haul butt everywhere and just enjoy the ride.

SV FTMFW!! especially after doing a track day and seeing an instructor haul ass on an SV in race trim. HOLY CRAPola that was awesome.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I'm 6'5'', and those 250s fit me. If you're "uncomfortable" on one it is more likely that you're just wanting to feel uncomfortable to justify riding that CBR. Besides, sitting on a bike in a show room won't feel the same as actually riding it for extended periods of time.

And that insurance, you may have a decent job making steady cash, but when I started back when I was 18, I started on a 2000 CBR600F4. Just liability was costing me about $1200/year. If you want full coverage it will run closer to $4000/year for a supersport.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sence you ride moto and your looking at a beginner bike why not check out the supermoto line. Your used to the torque if a single and most of them can out corner a lot of supersport bikes. There not straight line rockets but if you live in a area with curvy roads you'll be in heaven.

:edit
Just looked at your info and you about two hrs away from motorcycle mecca.

Again don't get a sm because I said so but entertain the idea.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you tried the Hyosungs? I have a 2008 GT250 naked sport and it fits me a bit big (5'7" 140). They use a 650 frame with a 250 motor. The GT650R makes you sit quite aggressively with its clipons. try that route too. For the money, it's going to be hard to beat when it comes down to features....

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
edit--my ten month old was hitting the keyboard while I was posting}

OP--you have enough experience that you most likely could handle a 600 as a first street bike. And thats probably the first time Ive posted that before.

With that said, my only "concern" is that if you're already pullin doubles on dirt, you may want to push a SS to see what it can it do. If you have the maturity to keep yourself in line, then I see no problem with a CBR F4i or RR as a bike for you.
They are snakes, but if you've ridden the newer 250 CRF or 400's, then you have a good idea what happens when you twist the right grip into the power band.

Also, its arguable that the best of the pro riders out there started on dirt, or at least flat track dirt, at your age. And most of us can't hold a candle next to them, let alone recommend a ride.

At the end of the day, you have to remember that the road is not a dirt track, and you are limited by whatever speed limits and road signs your State has set out. ie you can't go balls out whenever you want {although we all do, or have done} like you can on dirt. And at 17, you WILL push the limits on the street at some point, that is a certainty.

The super motos are awesome, you should take a serious look at them. Don't limit yourself to the "look" of SS.

Good luck, and stay safe.

RC

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also rode dirtbikes a long time and finally got into street riding 4 months ago. I started with a Harley and in 2 months went and purchased a used liter bike. Only reason I got it was because my friend works at a motorcycle dealer and I got it for dirt cheap as oppose to a newer 600.

Yeah, people were telling me I was crazy going to a liter bike and I was actually scared of it the first 2 days. But now I am very comfortable and never really ride the Harley anymore. It's about respecting the power! I am 36going on 37 years old and I don't fuk around, I am responsible with this insane machine. You are 17 and I know you seem like a pretty mature dude, but I was also mature at 17 and did alot of stupid shit when I had my muscle cars. If I had a sportbike at that age, I know I would of been dead a very long time ago. Boys will be boys and the temptation of twisting your wrist is always there, especially knowing you own a 10 second 1/4 mile street machine on two wheels.

In the end it's your choice. These guys in here make alot of sense with the advice they are offereing. Good luck with what you decide. Also, what these guys say about insurance costs is very true at your age. Even at my age, perfect driving record and the difference in owning a 600 and a 1000cc was amazing!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts