Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil hit 64 dollars a barrel. What are your plans in adjusting your lifestyle in an era where someday oil is going to be 100 dollars a barrel?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/08/markets/oil.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Here's a couple of guesses.

1) Get rid of the SUV, that's probably a given for everyone. Do it now before they flood the market and you'll have to give it away to get rid of it.

2) You'll ride your bike more, motorcycling popularity will boom. Newer energy efficient bikes will hit the market :)

3) Live closer to work. The suburbs are will be the slums of tomorrow as people flee out of the burbs and move back to the inner cities where they can live closer to work. Real estate close to cities is probably a worthwhile investment. Jim mentioned that smaller lower maintenance homes, that are less costly to heat and cool will be in high demand. I agree with this completely. Also dont rule out a new market of underground homes.

4) Pull out a wind map and find out where the strongest winds are in the US. Mostly in the Northern states, Dakotas particularly. These will be wealthy states in the future because that is where the wind farms are going to be based. But solar power will dominate over wind overall because of the convenience it offers. And wind turbines are unsightly.

5) Mass transit will make a comeback. Not buses but trains, probably electric hooked up to solar grids. Urban design of the future will revolve around mass transit links. Trucking of food and goods to markets will die, rail links will instead supply those goods.

6) Less fat people, more people will be riding bicycle instead of driving.

7) A return to locally grown foods and farming. High costs of food transport to markets is undesireable. Probably all those suburbs are going to be razed to make way for local farms.

8) Meat will become very expensive as meat is energy intensive to produce. Soy products duplicating taste of meat will become popular, and the number of vegetarians will increase (another reason why the population of the future will be less fat).

Just a few ideas.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I think you have outlined some excellent thoughts.

The cost of fuel will be but one more class divider; that is, those who can afford to keep the big vehicles on the road will while the rest of us will be commuting to work on our bikes. In the rain.

I'm not so sure that mass transit will increase much except in the inner cities.

Carpooling will become much more popular, thereby aligning work schedules more closely.

Of course, just about every consumer product on the market will increase in cost at the register simply because of the increase in manufacturing and freight costs.

Personally, my RC51 will be put in the garage in favor of the Harley, which will go from a shiny, pretty jewel to a greasy dirt-bag biker motorcycle, as I'll start riding it to work vs. driving my old Jeep.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
1. Take public trans a few times a week to save some $ on fuel and time in traffic.
2. Purchase a fuel efficient vehicle like a Honda Accord Hybrid or Accord Natural Gas. Toyotas and Hondas are some of the most fuel efficient vehicles.
3. Make sure those vehicles are in excellent working order, new air filters, correct tire pressures.
4. Shift your vehicles at apporpriate RPM speeds. Higher revving engines obviously consume more fuel that those that rotate at respecitively slower speeds.
5. Use your motorcycle to commute to work!

·
WTF guy
878 Posts
Lets hope that they can get this working... if they can, they can crack hydrogen out of water or natural gas and get tons of cheap energy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
bugeyed said:
2) You'll ride your bike more, motorcycling popularity will boom. Newer energy efficient bikes will hit the market :)
+for more riding partners -for all the amateurs
bugeyed said:
5) Mass transit will make a comeback. Not buses but trains, probably electric hooked up to solar grids. Urban design of the future will revolve around mass transit links. Trucking of food and goods to markets will die, rail links will instead supply those goods.
Good, the less of those @#$% trucks on the road, the better.
bugeyed said:
6) Less fat people, more people will be riding bicycle instead of driving.
Yaay for less fat people! Good points. Don't see to may negatives about them. I do like my little suv though.

Hams51 said:
I can't wait! It's going to be like the good old days!
????? I'm afraid to ask. What good old days?

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Only problem is that while the rest of the world is already doing this, the US isn't. We're gonna get owned when oil gets overly expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts