Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Going fast is fun!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened about 8 weeks ago (8/31/2008) at around 1:30 in the afternoon. My wife and I were riding down a country road (separate bikes) at about 45 mph when a doe leaped onto the road in front of my FZ6. I hit it broad side. The doe died. I only have a sketchy memory of the next couple of hours. Despite the fact I was wearing a helmet, I had a concussion (which sometimes causes memory loss). The doctor said I would have probably died had I not been wearing the helmet (They probably say that to everyone). As it was, I only broke my collar bone (in two places), cracked a couple of ribs, and had some bruises and abrasions (in addition to the concussion). I consider myself pretty lucky.

The FZ6 faired pretty well also. I don’t carry liability insurance, or it probably would have been “totaled”. But, since I have to pay for everything out of pocket, I did the repairs myself and I only replaced things that were damaged beyond just a couple of scratches. Nothing that I consider “mechanical” was damaged. There were some things like the clutch lever being bent, the foot peg breaking off, the frame slider breaking off, and a few other fairly important things that I had to replace, but the damage was mostly cosmetic. Most parts in the front fairing/cowling were damaged, including the metal bar that attached to the frame to hold the fairing assembly. The gas tank has some minor scratches and a couple small, dents (not creased). The hand rail for the passenger was also broken so I had to replace that part. But, I replaced everything I plan to for about $1,060. I could replace all the other parts that just had what I call minor damage for about another $700. But, I’m pretty happy with it the way it looks now, so I’m not going to spend the money.

As for me, my collar bone is still mending. Everything else has healed. I've been back out on the FZ a few times, but I can't ride long because of the pain in my collar bone. Eventually, I expect it to get back to normal. I guess it just takes a while for collar bones to heal.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
WOW! Glad you made it out of that relatively ok, but amazing how much damage hitting a deer can do! That is my worst fear on the roads around here. At least you can see cars coming!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Glad to hear you are healing up pretty well. We don't have as many deer out here but a few of my friends have had too close encounters. It sounded like you were riding 2 up when this happened, is your wife OK?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow. Glad you didn't go the way of the doe. Goddamm deer. I've been fortunate enough not to be on the receiving end of their dumbness. Sorry to hear you were!

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Glad you pulled through. What kinda of helmet?

Did you get titanium in the collar bone? You probably already know this but a figure 8 brace worked really well for me. The ribs are probably the worst part, right? Well, next to the brain I suppose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad you survived! That's my biggest fear as well. That, and getting hit by another cellphone-addicted cage-driver.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
This is good incentive to start hunting them! They are WAY overpopulated in Virginia...come out here and pop some! I think they allow you to shoot 5 deer per year per person with a hunting license here now. People with pest permits on farms can shoot them year round! I can literally shoot them from my back deck...they are everywhere.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I plan on thinning some out the first week of DEC up in Pennsylvania.

On a side note my BIL's dad hit a buck about 3 weeks ago on his Harley. He ended up with a broken nose (peanut shell helmet) and a broken wrist. He was coming around a bend at about 35mph and the deer just jumped in front of him. He clearly remembers counting 6 points lol. The deer got away...

Heal up. Glad you made it out relatively OK.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Where's that thread of the gsxr750 hitting the coyote and cutting it in 1/2, that's the way to do it.:boink

Any who, on a more realistic note glad you came out of it without to much damage to yourself and bike:cheers

·
Going fast is fun!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you pulled through. What kinda of helmet?

Did you get titanium in the collar bone? You probably already know this but a figure 8 brace worked really well for me. The ribs are probably the worst part, right? Well, next to the brain I suppose.

So far, no surgery. The surgeon is hopeful it will heal OK without it. He said it's looking good, but could take a while. So, no titanium yet. I did use a figure 8 brace for about 7 weeks. Was glad when the doc said I could take that off. It did a good job, but I found it annoying.

The helmet was a HJC. I don't remember the model number. It was my favorite of my 4 helmets though. Sad to see it go. But, despite the concussion, I still feel it did it's job.

·
Going fast is fun!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yikes.

Glad you are ok...you got pics?
No pics. I thought about taking some before I started taking the bike apart, but didn't do it.

Kind of wish my wife had grabbed a pic at the scene. She said the doe, my bike and I all ended up laying within a few feet of each other on the road. Might have been interesting to see. I guess it just didn't occur to her at the time :)

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
Wow man, glad you're OK. Those deer are brutal. Had a few really close ones myself.

Makes me wonder how many times someone has just never posted again on here, and the grim reality of why that may be.

So was your wife behind you? I'm curious how the crash went down. Did you flip over the bars, or did the bike lowside? Sounds like you may have gone airborne and come down on the head and shoulder area?

Cool to see that you're right back on the horse!

·
Going fast is fun!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So was your wife behind you? I'm curious how the crash went down. Did you flip over the bars, or did the bike lowside? Sounds like you may have gone airborne and come down on the head and shoulder area?
My wife was riding in front of me. She said she saw something out of the corner of her eye then looked in her mirror as I hit the deer. Due to the concussion, I don't remember what actually happened. I remember, almost as if it were a dream, the deer leaping onto the road and my FZ getting to about a foot from it's side. I believe I got on the brakes, but hit the deer almost immediately. I have a couple hours of memory missing. My family doctor said my memory might come back, but I told him I'm ok with those couple of hours missing from my life.:)

My wife doesn't recall how I hit the ground, but based on my injuries, it does seem like I went hit the ground with my helmet and left shoulder first. It was kind of wierd, but the worst "road rash" I had was actually on top of my shoulder. Not the front or back of my shoulder, but actually on top. My neck was sore, but considering where the shoulder hit the road, I guess I should be happy I didn't break it.

My wife said I rolled a couple of times after I hit the road. I'm glad I rolled instead of sliding because I think this helped minimize road rash. I had some abrasions on my knees, even though my jeans were not torn through. My elbows and arms had mild abrasions, but considering I was wearing a t-shirt I'm pretty lucky there. My right hand glove was torn up a little and my right hand had a small abrasion where a hole ripped in it. But other than that no problems on my hands. So, rolling is better than sliding.

My wife said I came to a stop within a few feet of the doe. However, I had somehow passed the deer so I was farther up the road than the deer was. She said that the deer was still breathing and we were laying there side by side. The deer died within just a minute or two (I'm glad it didn't suffer long). But, if I had memory of it, I think that would have felt odd.

That's about it.

·
Cubicle Ostrich
1,785 Posts
Wow. Unbelievable how well you came outta that, now knowing how little gear you had on! You are one lucky human, must have some good karma going for you.

I think you're right, in your case rolling was better, but if you were wearing full leathers, a slide is always better, as rolling is what causes things to break.

Lucky you!

And now, I am going to post some incredible pictures of a BMW that ate a deer. Somehow its relevant. But I'll start a different thread for that, maybe you don't want to see it :neener

·
Luck Bucket
440 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. One of my biggest fears is hitting one of those damn things. I see a new blood stain on the highway or dead deer on the shoulder almost every time I ride into work.

Funny that the video of the FZ6 vs deer that was mentioned is the one I uploaded as a reference on YouTube for my blog. :) I am not the guy in the video, I just upped it.

I hope your collarbone heals quickly and completely.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Glad you didn't go the way of the deer! Going home from work on the 17th of this month I nearly hit two in a five mile stretch. As the days get shorter it's not the cold that gets me off the bike, it's riding home in the evening darkness with the damn deer all over the roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts