Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how quick you guys/gals go through a rear tire? Not including burnouts, how long will your rear tire last? Is 4 months about average for a rear tire or is that replacing to quick. I spend alot of time riding the backroad twisties and wondered if I'm the only one who feels like it's always time for a new tire.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I think it's based on mileage when it comes to normal wear (no burnouts). How many miles did you put on in 4 months?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dr. Evil said:
about 3500 in 4 months. I'm wearing out my sides quicker than my center.
Also depends on the tires themselves....what are you running?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i got over 3500miles on a dunlop 208rear and i still have 1/4 tread left

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
snigg said:
4 months!?!?!! lol ill go through a rear in a month and a half with no burnouts.
holy crap they should last longer than that snigg, what is your tire bill a year then?

i had about 3000 on my 207RR rear when i sold my bike and it still had a good amount of tread left

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i have been getting about 4-5 trackdays on mine w/some fairly decent street riding too. I guess I should say I go to the track about every week...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
snigg said:
4 months!?!?!! lol ill go through a rear in a month and a half with no burnouts.
Well that's just spiffy there fella, I wish I could ride that much, but I get as much riding as I can while trying to raise 3 kids. So for me to throw 3500 in 4 months that's a lot. Hell most people have 1 kid and say time to sell the bike.

·
Registered
952 Posts
DAMN! I've had my bike since last august, and I'm coming up on 3000 miles (I know I know... but its snows and rains and its was too cold to ride for pleasure...) and the treads on my tire dont look that different then when I got it! (Except got rid of those chicken strips!!) I guess its just differences in the compounds... since I'm only on an ex250. I dont want a b***** bike now, I cant afford to replace tires like that!!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
MobileSuit said:
DAMN! I've had my bike since last august, and I'm coming up on 3000 miles (I know I know... but its snows and rains and its was too cold to ride for pleasure...) and the treads on my tire dont look that different then when I got it! (Except got rid of those chicken strips!!) I guess its just differences in the compounds... since I'm only on an ex250. I dont want a b***** bike now, I cant afford to replace tires like that!!
Heh, those tires are going to last a lot longer than 3000 miles, the compound on that kind of tire is almost the same kind of rock as commuters and cruisers use, I would expect 9,000 miles from the rear and like 15,000 miles from the front.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My old Magna had 7,000 miles on it, and the tires looked brand new. They were a really hard touring compound, though.

My Triumph Sprint averages about 4,000 miles before I need to replace the rear tire. I haven't had to replace the SV's tires yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got about 3000-3500 out of my Pilot Sport rear. I'm changing mine out this week, got it in March, and have been needing to replace it for a month. Front lasted since October, or about 5000 miles.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
diablo corsas for street and track although i'm thinking seriously of switching to an actual race tire (not slicks) for the track. i would love to pick up an extra set o frims to have them on :hmmmm

Well that's just spiffy there fella, I wish I could ride that much, but I get as much riding as I can while trying to raise 3 kids. So for me to throw 3500 in 4 months that's a lot. Hell most people have 1 kid and say time to sell the bike.
hey Dr Evil, you get to ride, you are right about a lot people have a kid and decide they can't take time out for themselves anymore. Like I said in my earlier post, I hit the track every week (thursday) and I ride around the city maybe 1x a week (hard) and putter around occasionaly otherwise. I also have a daughter and I work 2 jobs. I totally understand where you are coming from. if you can make a tire last 3500 miles or 4 months, that's great! you are saving on your tire bill. others of us aren't that lucky I think that's all Snigg was saying

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dr. Evil said:
I was wondering how quick you guys/gals go through a rear tire? Not including burnouts, how long will your rear tire last? Is 4 months about average for a rear tire or is that replacing to quick. I spend alot of time riding the backroad twisties and wondered if I'm the only one who feels like it's always time for a new tire.
Could you be more specific? Manufacturer? Compound? What PSI are you running? I know guys that replace a set of 208GPAs after 900mi and some that ride 5000+ on other touring tires.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
My rear M1 lasted 3600 miles give or take and was showing cord almost over the entire center. Safely, I'd say 3400 is pushing it. I'm not fast, I don't do track days, my bike makes less than 100hp, I never burned out with the M1.
I just put on a Dunlop 208 rear. I'll have to get back to you on that, but I expect about the same milage. Estimate every 3000 miles or so for when you SHOULD change tires. Push it past that at your own risk.
I think about 3000 miles is average for the sporty tires.

My front M1 is fine, and will last at least through this rear if not another.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts