Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a rant, but its an opinion post also.. Not 3 minutes a 5'10" black male dressed in a button up shirt, slacks, a tie and some decent shoes, knocked on my door. He couldnt have been older than 21 years old.

*Tape Rewinds* - Let me introduce the setting and main characters..

I'm a 22 year old white male living in a decent area in suburbia on Long Island, New York..I'm surrounded by mainly the same element on a dead end block. Each of the 160 children on the block have their own basketball hoop, and they all bounce the ball in unison while their mothers ring the dinner bell and their fathers drive their BMW's into the driveway after a hard days work in the office. I was just getting ready for work, all dressed with the exception of the tie and shoes, when my dogs started to bark incessantly. I travel down the steps of my two story house, to the front door about three feet from the bottom step. To my surprise, a well dressed black male of about 5'10" was standing four feet away from the door off the bottom step of my porch. He was wearing a white shirt, with a crooked tie, some scuffed black shoes and a pair of dark colored slacks. I quickly quieted the dogs, opened the door and immediatley greeted the man with a smile and a handshake. Now growing up in Queens, New York has made my instincts pretty well developed. I can usually quickly asses whether someone is posing a threat, and it was clear from the first word that there was no threat here. Immediatley, seeing the neighborhood, seeing that I'm a white male wearing a business suit, this gentelemen begins to tell me about his cause. He is with a company that gives second chances to underprivileged people who have gotten in trouble, are sick, or are mentally handicapped. Now all this is fine and dandy, I'm always down to donate to a good cause. I'm the furthest thing from greedy, and I'm the first to offer a hand when needed. The story is pleasant until this point.

After about 2 minutes of slurred speech and mumbles, and asking me questions about my career and second chances that people have given me, he starts belittling himself right in front of me as if thats what I want him to do to sell his product! My dogs were barking so he asked if they like dark meat with a little chuckle. He was selling magazine subscriptions, and I was purchasing a three year subscription to Motorcyclist Magazine, I asked what forms of payment were accepted and his response was, and I quote "cash, check, or deep fried chicken, with watermelon and kool-aid of course." My jaw dropped!
Now I am not always political correct, in fact I come from a VERY Italian family from Queens and I know the routine when it comes to politically incorrect jokes. I can appreciate and make jokes with the best of them, but I have to say I was pretty insulted when I heard him say this. I just gave a half chuckle, a half smile and a full shake of my head. I handed over my check, and got my reciept, he shook my hand, looked me in the eye and walked off my property. I walked back in my house still stunned and amazed that he would berate himself like that to sell a freakin magazine..

What do you think of this? I think its a shame, and I felt like asking him what the hell he was thinking to do something like that and then represent a company with a cause like that. So after about 15 minutes of shocked interaction and cinema like dialogue, I shelled out 64 bucks for a three year subscription to MotorCyclists Mag.

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
you paid too much for the magazine...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
That's a little ridiculous. Not only is he belittling himself but he was showing his bigotry there. Amongst friends, I'll rib myself on liking all forms of potato and beer (Irish and French here!) but not in the business setting; never in front of mixed company. A lot of people out there don't know how to conduct themsevles in business environments. That was a business setting, regardless of the fact it was in front of your door, whether you live in an upscale LI town or not, that's never appropriate dialogue during a business transaction by any stretch. :rolleyes

Not sure about $64 for Motcyclists Magazine, a little steep? J/K.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
njssli22 good wording & setting the atmosphere of where you live.. i need you to do my composition essay.. bout you story, that is fugged up to say that but i guess he must have a great sence of humor.............................or something

·
Registered
773 Posts
that is weird. i would have probally fussed at him for being mean to himself..... confidence baby.. you have to know what your worth

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
njssli22 said:
I asked what forms of payment were accepted and his response was, and I quote "cash, check, or deep fried chicken, with watermelon and kool-aid of course."
I think it's funny as shit. :eek:nfloor

Grape kool-aid would have been better though if he really wanted to nail the head on the stereotype. :lol

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
I've noticed other people do that same sort of thing with their physical shortcomings (your post is the first i've heard of someone making fun of their race--usually, what i'm talking about is things like being fat, short, etc.). Like making fun of yourself before someone else does just to let that person know that it doesn't bother you...or something. Don't know why people do that tho. Maybe he does have better luck, or thinks he does, saying things like that to the type of people that live in your neighborhood. dunno...

i've recently come to believe that we are far more diverse in our own minds than our physical apperance. The idea that the only diversity worth appreciating is skin deep is a very dumbed down version of what really makes us different.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
i'm sure someone is going to take your story the wrong way...

won't be me though...i'll just just back with a sprite and :popcorn

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i have no comment regarding the gist of the story, but i reminds me of that part in office space :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fengler said:
i have no comment regarding the gist of the story, but i reminds me of that part in office space :lol :lol :lol
HAHA, its funny you should say that because he spoke EXACTLY like that guy, almost like he stole the scene from the movie..I thought that also..

Anyway, there is no gist to the story, I was just commenting on the fact that it seemed like he was saying all that stuff just becuase thats what I wanted to hear for him to sell his product, and thats a shame.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I wonder if it was part of his "training" for his job? I also wonder what kind of reaction he may get from your neighbors with the approach he took compared to a more "straight up" approach. BTW, his "cause" was to make some $$ I'm sure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got some bad news... you will NEVER get that magazine. Is been going around here for awhile, I did it once a few years back.

Its for underprevileged thieves. You got burned dude. I cant believe its stil out there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its all good, i'll just stop payment on the check :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
i've recently come to believe that we are far more diverse in our own minds than our physical apperance. The idea that the only diversity worth appreciating is skin deep is a very dumbed down version of what really makes us different.
I figured this out some years ago as well. It's really too bad so many people think they'll fit in better by being like everyone else, or presenting themselves in a way that (they think) other people will more readily accept.

BTW, I did a similar thing many years ago, and actually got my mags for a full year or two (whatever I actually bought). That doesn't say anything about this man's honesty, of course. It's a 50/50 thing...

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
What proof did he have to show you who he was working for?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cyrilgrey said:
If you're buying shit from people who come to your door, your time in Queens didn't sharpen your senses enough.
Why not? lol, actually nobody ever did that in queens.. Except the hasidic(sp?) Jews, they were never selling anything though..Can't say I let them talk for more than thirty though so I wouldnt really know..

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You should have told him to hold on a second and came out with a plate of chicken and watermelon and a pitcher of kool-aid. Hell of a lot cheaper that 64 bucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts