Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost couldn't believe what I was reading ...

"On 1 February 1994, the company filed a sound trademark application for the distinctive sound of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine: "The mark consists of the exhaust sound of applicant's motorcycles, produced by V-twin, common crankpin motorcycle engines when the goods are in use". Nine of Harley-Davidson's competitors filed comments opposing the application, arguing that cruiser-style motorcycles of various brands use a single-crankpin V-twin engine which produce a similar sound.[52] These objections were followed by litigation. In August 2001, the Company dropped efforts to federally register its trademark. However, legal counsel for the company claims that the Harley-Davidson still holds trademark rights in the sound even without a registration"

"In 1952, following their application to the US Tariff Commission for a 40% tax on imported motorcycles, Harley-Davidson was charged with restrictive practices"

"In the early eighties, Harley-Davidson claimed the Japanese manufacturers were dumping motorcycles on the US market. After Harley-Davidson rejected aid from Japanese manufacturers, the US International Trade Commission imposed in 1983 a 45% tariff on imported bikes and bikes over 700 cc engine capacities specifically to protect Harley-Davidson"

You know, the company started out humble enough, and then they just went AWOL with their practices, dirty doesn't start to describe Hardly Ableson.

You couldn't pay me to ride one.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
wow that teriff is crazy? is it still in place? I hope not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Umm, that was done to save another american company from going under. the tariff was lifted in the early 80s when harley got back on its feet. why dont you do a little research on what else currently has high import tariffs. you would be shocked.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
I actually would buy a Harley Davidson Sportster-- nightster.. for something to putt around town on. PLEASE SHOOT ME.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Some people ride Harley's.

Guy's like my neighbor Skip, who served our country in the Vietnam war. He was a teacher for 25 some odd years after that.

A great American hero.

Some people ride foreign bikes.

Like the young man I met while pumping gas yesterday afternoon.

Brian just got back from the sandbox where he lost several of his buddies. He's 22 years old.

Another great American hero.

Let the Harley vs. sportbike bullshit lie dude. It's childish.

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
Some people ride Harley's.

Guy's like my neighbor Skip, who served our country in the Vietnam war. He was a teacher for 25 some odd years after that.

A great American hero.

Some people ride foreign bikes.

Like the young man I met while pumping gas yesterday afternoon.

Brian just got back from the sandbox where he lost several of his buddies. He's 22 years old.

Another great American hero.

Let the Harley vs. sportbike bullshit lie dude. It's childish.
My great uncle was one of Canada's top snipers during the Second World War, on the invasion of Sicily he had 16 confirmed German kills. He was also thrown into Dachau near the end of the war after being captured by the SS. He drove a Chevrolet after the war. So I guess I shouldn't make fun of Chevrolet?

My uncle had three tours in Vietnam, and he was in combat. He drove a Ford, so I guess I shouldn't make fun of their reliability issues.

Give me a break.

ps.. all that is true.

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
it may be still in place. i few years back, victory motorcycles and arlen ness produced a mass production line of semi custom bikes. the sound of the twin remminded the harley group of their own twin and threatened a lawsuit against ness and victory. needless to say, they pulled and reworked the motor. my question is: why in the hell doesn't harley sue motor makers like s&s?

·
Win!
366 Posts
I, for one, would love a Harley Nightrod. I'm a biker, not a sportbiker.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
My great uncle was one of Canada's top snipers during the Second World War, on the invasion of Sicily he had 16 confirmed German kills. He was also thrown into Dachau near the end of the war after being captured by the SS. He drove a Chevrolet after the war. So I guess I shouldn't make fun of Chevrolet?

My uncle had three tours in Vietnam, and he was in combat. He drove a Ford, so I guess I shouldn't make fun of their reliability issues.

Give me a break.

ps.. all that is true.

LOL - great response. I agree. The problem with Harleys is that they are loud as hell and annoying. And their riders think they are tougher and braver than they are.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
LOL - great response. I agree. The problem with Harleys is that they are loud as hell and annoying. And their riders think they are tougher and braver than they are.
:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor

This coming from the same poster who wants to kick everyones ass on the board?????

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Just like every sportbike rider is a squid with flip flops, that stunts on public streets?

Grow up. An asshole is an asshole whether he rides a Harley, a Sportbike, or a friggin' scooter.

As for the Canadian Sniper with 16 CONFIRMED kills in WW2.......you mind sharing the name? Only one I've ever heard of is H.Marshall....and he had 9 confirmed kills. He was wounded in '44 I think but don't remember him being sent to a concentration camp.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I almost couldn't believe what I was reading ...

You know, the company started out humble enough, and then they just went AWOL with their practices, dirty doesn't start to describe Hardly Ableson.

You couldn't pay me to ride one.

So don't fucking ride one, easy as that.

·
Cage intolerant
446 Posts
It gets worse. There is a forum which used to be named “V-rodforums.com”. This site did more to sell and promote the Harley V-Rod than HD’s marketing campaign ever could. HD sued the site owner for infringement of the “V-Rod” trademark and he had to change the name. Now how damned stupid and self-defeating can you get?

I’m fond of my V-Rod (wouldn’t touch the other HD antiques) but the management of HD Motor Company would need several promotions to qualify as stupid assholes.

·
Religous Historian
1,559 Posts
Heres a couple of reasons I wouldn't ride a harley...

1. I cant afford one.
2. I prefer a sportbike.

if you like harleys ride a harley, if you prefer sportbikes ride a sportbike. As long as it has two wheels and doesn't say vespa, your cool with me. Provided your not a complete ass.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
You know, the funny thing about the Harley "sound" (which I admit is awesome) is that the unique loping idle, the slap-slap-slap of their engines is fairly unique, BECAUSE THEY ARE USING OLD HAT TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN.

No one else is going to sound like harley, unless they start making 100cu-in engines that make 48hp and piss oil.

Can anyone see a Japanese company putting their name on an engine like that?

Well then, I think HD has nothing to worry about.

Fucking luddites.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
How many damn "us vs them" threads do we need? We all ride motorcycles...so please let us spend all this effort yapping at each other about how my bike is better than yours. While those in the public sector that don't ride bikes at all want to legislate our freedom to ride away.

What a great post...A+

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
The only way I want to own a Harley is to get one of the older ones from say the 50's on back. One that will leak oil on the garage floor and would be taken out only on sunday mornings. Commence flaming. And besides I like bikes in general, there are just some that are at the bottom of the list.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
wow that teriff is crazy? is it still in place? I hope not.
No. In fact, Harley petitioned that the tariff be withdrawn a early.

On the bright side, we probably wouldn't have 600cc SS bikes today if not for the tariff. :lol

1 - 20 of 83 Posts