Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I only have a 500R but I was wondering if I hit on the throttle to hard is this thing going to wheelie on me?

I don't want it too but sometimes when I get on the gas a bit it feels like it might. Is that just the suspension openning up? or will this bike really wheelie?

·
Registered
533 Posts
ive never ridden a 500r but id guess that you would have to really open her up and lean back before the front would even leave the ground in first

when you accelerate the forks do let up tho

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thx that makes me feel a bit better about it. I just don't want it to surprise me with a pop and lose control.

·
Banned
912 Posts
I have the 636. Your bike is heavier then mine the only way that your bike will come up is if you clutch it. You can roll on the throttle and let off and then snap it real fast wide open and all your bike is going to do is lift the front forks. The 500R doesn't have enuff torque to pull the front end way up. You have to be at 6500-7000 RPM's on my bike to power wheelie in first but before the bike gets to 12 oclock I hit the rev limiter and the front end slams down (only did that one time, man it hurt my nuts). The thing you have to worry about it your front tire getting light while rolling on the throttle and then getting a tank slap!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
marsolais said:
I have the 636. Your bike is heavier then mine the only way that your bike will come up is if you clutch it. You can roll on the throttle and let off and then snap it real fast wide open and all your bike is going to do is lift the front forks. The 500R doesn't have enuff torque to pull the front end way up. You have to be at 6500-7000 RPM's on my bike to power wheelie in first but before the bike gets to 12 oclock I hit the rev limiter and the front end slams down (only did that one time, man it hurt my nuts). The thing you have to worry about it your front tire getting light while rolling on the throttle and then getting a tank slap!
You got it exactly right. I can clutch it up in first but it's a lot of work.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I still don't get why most people don't wear leather pants as well, do they not understand that your butt, knees, and the rest of your legs are very vulnerable in a crash as well. Just wait till ya go down and your kneecaps are grinded down completely (yeah that's worse case scenario, but still) then you'll be :cry

Jason

·
Registered
981 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I still don't get why most people don't wear leather pants as well, do they not understand that your butt, knees, and the rest of your legs are very vulnerable in a crash as well. Just wait till ya go down and your kneecaps are grinded down completely (yeah that's worse case scenario, but still) then you'll be :cry

Jason
i dont wear leather cuz its 110^ out here. lol

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I don't agree with that excuse whatsoever. My street leathers have very good ventilation, the whole chest region is perforated, along with along on the arms and legs. It was a spendy suit, but as long as I'm moving it doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything, and what's the fun in riding a bike if you're not moving anyways. I avoid traffic lights, stop signs, city traffic at all costs, so I stay comfortable and safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's like everyone else has said... The 500r will wheelie, but not from you going WOT in first or second...

If you do go WOT (wide open throttle) in first or second, the front end may get light... that's about it.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
firefighter81 said:

Jason
you're such a whiner man. :lame

and to whoever asked bout what rpm, i had to rev it pretty damn high to get the bike to come up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i have been debating whether or not to call out "snigg" but i've had it. everywhere i look, he's bragging about his wheelies. the only pictures i have seen him doing wheelies in, is the one he posted earlier in this thread and the one that used to be in his avatar where the front wheel looked like it was only a foot off the ground. if i was you, which i know i'm not, i wouldn't be bragging about wheelies and talking about them in almost all your posts when you haven't even posted a quality wheelie. even in your signature it says "make wheelies". come on.

if your not riding out your wheelies at the balance point or further back than you have nothing. i'll tell you what, if you post up a picture of yourself at the balance point then in my signature i will type in anything you want, as long as its appropriate for SBN.

and i'll admit, i suck at wheelies. after getting past the balance point a few times (not on purpose), i got scared of them and don't even bother with them anymore. i'd rather keep my bike in one piece.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
bpmull said:
and i'll admit, i suck at wheelies. after getting past the balance point a few times (not on purpose), i got scared of them and don't even bother with them anymore. i'd rather keep my bike in one piece.
I suck too...I have got it up to 11:00 about three times now and all three times it scared the hell outta me and there was no way I was riding it out so I brought it back down by letting off the throttle. There was very litte forward momentum.
However, I can get it to come up about 2 feet if I cruise at about 15 mph, crank the throttle to 6-7K and then dump the clutch while lightly blipping the throttle, it will come up, if I was brave, I could probably get it up to the balance point with more throttle. Be careful because if you get it right, that front comes right on up and the first time it will surprise you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
when you dump the clutch doesnt the bike jump up? i guess i have to ride more to be comfortable with somethin like that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts