Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im the proud owner of a 99 zx6r and after owning a zx7r in the past I cant wait to ride it. Theres one problem. It will start idle and run fine but soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. If I turn the idle up and use the choke for a second it will rev up just fine but only stalls with the throttle. At the same time I give it gas I hear air come out of the airbox. Like a spuff sound. I did notice the fuel pump just keeps ticking when the bikes idling. Over and over. Im not sure if thats normal. I never noticed anything like it on any of my other bikes. Could it be getting to much gas?

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Well Im the proud owner of a 99 zx6r and after owning a zx7r in the past I cant wait to ride it. Theres one problem. It will start idle and run fine but soon as I touch the throttle it stalls. If I turn the idle up and use the choke for a second it will rev up just fine but only stalls with the throttle. At the same time I give it gas I hear air come out of the airbox. Like a spuff sound. I did notice the fuel pump just keeps ticking when the bikes idling. Over and over. Im not sure if thats normal. I never noticed anything like it on any of my other bikes. Could it be getting to much gas?
Has the bike been down recently? Sounds like a leak between the airbox/carbs..... It's mostly sealed at rest, but when you rev the motor and it rocks/torques, it pulls open whatever isn't properly secured.

Youre carbureted, I doubt you have a fuel pump. Never seen a carbed bike that did, that's FI territory. Youre hearing something else...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure if it's been down. It doesnt look like it unless they fixed the damage. Well the fuel pump isnt in the tank but there is a hose that goes from the gas tank to a round cylinder then there is a hose next to that hose that goes from the round cylinder into the carbs. When I put it in first gear and leave the clutch out and hit the start button you can hear and feel it pump. My old 600 hurricane had the same thing. I have the front of the bike apart meaning the air tubes on the front and I dont have the air filter in it but the airbox is installed and sealed. Everything is there execpt for the resivours at the front of the bike. Im not sure if that would make a big difference. I bought it knowing the problem and forgot the air filter at the guys house who I got it from and havnt got one yet but im just tryin to get it runnin for now. I just picked it up yesterday.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Im not sure if it's been down. It doesnt look like it unless they fixed the damage. Well the fuel pump isnt in the tank but there is a hose that goes from the gas tank to a round cylinder then there is a hose next to that hose that goes from the round cylinder into the carbs. When I put it in first gear and leave the clutch out and hit the start button you can hear and feel it pump. My old 600 hurricane had the same thing. I have the front of the bike apart meaning the air tubes on the front and I dont have the air filter in it but the airbox is installed and sealed. Everything is there execpt for the resivours at the front of the bike. Im not sure if that would make a big difference. I bought it knowing the problem and forgot the air filter at the guys house who I got it from and havnt got one yet but im just tryin to get it runnin for now. I just picked it up yesterday.
Dude, don't go tearing things apart til you run it with the air filter in.... She's gonna run all kinds of screwed up and noisy without that. Cant diagnose what it's doing til you get that filter in there.

Besides that just make sure all the boots around the carburetors are sealed and snug while youre there....but it's hissing and crap because of the air filter being gone

EDIT: Btw...stalling on throttle sounds lean. Look for airbox/carb/vacuum leaks, and look for anything funny in the fuel hoses and system that could be choking the engine of gas.

Reactions: BRAD!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a 2000 Kawasaki that the guy told me the carbs were stuck. The bike was doing almost exactly what you described before I removed the airbox and sprayed carb cleaner over the floats and moved them with my hands to make sure they would move. You're gonna have to do this while the engine is running and keep revving it and watching the floats to make sure they slide. Other than that, my bike starts up fine now and it doesnt take nearly as much choke to ride it as before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has the bike been down recently? Sounds like a leak between the airbox/carbs..... It's mostly sealed at rest, but when you rev the motor and it rocks/torques, it pulls open whatever isn't properly secured.

Youre carbureted, I doubt you have a fuel pump. Never seen a carbed bike that did, that's FI territory. Youre hearing something else...

im a owner and i have a 99 and mine has fuel pump but same problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts