Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know these threads are in here all the time, but like everyone else, I just want to do a little research to confirm my beliefs before making any purchases and such. Anyway, I'm thinking of selling my R6 and going to a SV1000s. I like the look of a street fighter, but I love the look of a full-fairing SV. I plan to leave it naked until I can save up for the lower from Suzuki.

At any rate, I just want to be sure about power delivery. I know the V-twin will deliver more of a linear powerband, and will have a lot more torque. I like that idea. Basically, getting the twin literbike will be like a half step up, right? I mean, there will be more torque and a little more HP, but mostly it will be about as fast, but much quicker? I am -1 in the front and +2 in the rear on my R6's gearing, so acceleration should be SOMEWHAT comparable, right? The biggest difference would be that I actually have power in the lower RPM range, and I won't redline at 15K anymore.

To be honest, I think I am better suited to a twin, but I just want to be sure. Plus, if I would find the 650 sufficient, I'd rather save some money, but I'm thinking I'd prefer the 1000.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? I know about the TLs and they are sweet, but I think I'd rather go with an SV. I like the Buells, but Harley thinks WAY too highly of their bikes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ive got the perfect point of view for you. My track bike is a 01 GSXR 600 and my street bike is a 01 Aprilia Mille R. Do not, I repeat, Do not think its a half step up like your thinking. A liter twin has alot of torque. The torque it produces is nothing that a 600 can come close too. The riding styles are completly different also, you use alot of your engine for engine breaking. Your 600 is quick, but the SV1000 will get you to its top end alot faster. Now there top end may be equall, but there isnt a feeling in the world like riding a twin. The two bikes you are comparing are night and day. The SV650 wont feel the same way a SV1000 will, it will be a vtwin, but a small one at that. I had a chance to ride a SV and compared to my GSXR it seemed slow and underpowered, and its top end sucked....135mph. But then again when are you ever about 110mph on the street. If you can find a friend that has a v-twin and will let you ride it. The main thing to pay attention too isnt the HP difference of your bike and the SV1000, its the torque specks that you want to look at. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ever thought about the RC51? IMO its the one of the best out there.

·
Registered
966 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
Ever thought about the RC51? IMO its the one of the best out there.
Your Opionion sucks :bitchslap , there is alot more out there then just the RC51 if your looking for a V-twin.....think italian

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
That SV1000 is going to feel so much quicker and faster everywhere than the 6. Except in the tight twisties.

I was running with an SV1k and some other twins at VIR last week on my 1k.
Those twins, all of them (RC51, Ducs, Aprillas, TLR, TLS...) pull very strong out of the corners and down the straights.

And that sound!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the opinions, guys. Basically, I want to go twin, but I feel like the 650 is a slight step backward from the R6 with the gearing I'm running, yet the 1000 is a step forward.

Basically, the bike is going to be used around town some, particularly in the summer, but most of it's use during school is going to be taking mountain trips. Of course, this includes both travel TO the mountains (a good 3 hrs), and then the lovely twisties. I was a bit worried about the 1000 being a bit heavy in the twisties, because I already almost wish I could have something like a 400cc linear-4 for those.

I have considered the RC51, but isn't it still considered a sport bike? Insurance is a bit of an issue. I am not extremely worried (my current premium is excellent), but it would probably help that the SV is considered a standard instead of a sport bike. Either that, or I'm thinking Nationwide may simply work on a sliding displacement scale, and then you don't get raped unless your bike is on the black list. I'm not sure if the RC is on the black list, but I'm sure the SV is not.

I would LOVE to go with one of the Italian twins, but price is definately the biggest issue here. The plan I'd like to see happen is for me to sell my R6 within the next month or so, take care of any debt I have, and then start saving like a mother. Then, I'm thinking I will save for essentially half a year (unless I get the money sooner). I'll manage to save a couple thou by winter, and then hopefully the bikes will be cheaper once again due to lack of demand. If I can't find a good enough deal on a used bike, I'll probably just buy some '05 overstock. Anyway, even if I did manage to sell my R6 pretty much immediately and begin saving now, I still would only have somewhere around 7K to work with, give or take $1500. I can't get a decent Italian bike for that, I don't think. Plus, I'd prefer to get something as close to 5K as possible, and then have money leftover for mods. Reliability and such are more important, so I'd be willing to spend extra to buy new, but I'd like to have some money for mods. Particularly so I could get a great set of dual cans. I agree - the sound is awesome. I love the sound of a screaming I4, but twins are way more unique and sound awesome. Plus, it's funny as hell to see a sport bike flying, but hear the roar of a V-twin instead of a small-bore engine.

I don't like to change around vehicles a lot. I've had my truck for almost 3 years now and the bike for nearly 2. I don't plan on getting rid of the truck anytime soon, and I plan to keep this next bike for at least 2 years as well. To be honest, I'd like to find something I really like that I will be satisfied with for four or five, since I like buying mods.

I still like the idea of the SV1000 since not a ton of people have them (even less than stuff like the RC51), and they don't have a ton of respect around here, so I'd love to show some people what they can do. Plus, it will be nice to not have to rev up to 6 or 7K just to have some usable power (generic statement about twins).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I know the title says sv1000s but in one of your posts you mentioned switching to a standard model for insurance reasons. I'm not positive but isn't the S model still considered a sportbike? I was real close to buying a leftover '03 SV1000 (naked) which is the only year they were brought to the US but realized the deal wasn't as good as I thought.

If you're gonna go with an '05, have you looked at the Superhawk? They're priced close to the SV1000S, probably a few hundred more but it might be worth looking at.

I need to get a twin so bad. I was looking at a leftover '02 Mille but then I realized I wanna pay cash for my bike so that deal fell through too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
bpmull said:
I know the title says sv1000s but in one of your posts you mentioned switching to a standard model for insurance reasons. I'm not positive but isn't the S model still considered a sportbike? I was real close to buying a leftover '03 SV1000 (naked) which is the only year they were brought to the US but realized the deal wasn't as good as I thought.

If you're gonna go with an '05, have you looked at the Superhawk? They're priced close to the SV1000S, probably a few hundred more but it might be worth looking at.

I need to get a twin so bad. I was looking at a leftover '02 Mille but then I realized I wanna pay cash for my bike so that deal fell through too.
From what I've heard an sv will stomp a superhawk.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, to be honest, I just assumed that both versions of the SV were considered standard, due to the fact that they are listed together as such on the Suzuki website. I'm not sure how they are actually considered by the insurance company. Either way, I'm certain the SV is not on Nationwide's "black list", so it still shouldn't be all that bad.

I'm not particularly fond of the superhawk, to be honest. I like the RC51 a lot, but they seem to be a bit pricey. It will be nice to have something that holds its value, and those bikes sure are nice, but I'm not sure if I'd rather have a new SV or a used RC for the same price. Plus, after thinking about what was said about Italy, I see that I could actually have a Duc 748 for the 7K range. The big issue with a Ducati would be maintenance. I checked valve clearances on my R6 on my 20K service, and it seemed easy enough, but I didn't have to do any adjustment. Don't Ducati's need adjustment every 5K or something?

I guess a better question than SV1000s vs. R6 would be:

What is your pic for the v-twin I should get? I don't want to break the general area of 7K, because even at that point I'll be saving until winter at the very least. It might take me until next season to save that much, and the longer I go without a bike, the crazier I will get. If I could guarantee that I'd get my money back out of it, I'd probably buy an EX500 while I saved for the new bike just to have something to tool around on.

Anyway, SV1000s is still a top choice, but I'm also starting to take a strong interest in the RVT1000 and 748. Like I said, the big problem with Ducati is the constant need for maintenance and the expense of Ducati dealerships. The RC51 is probably growing on me more than any other, to be honest. Damn decisions!

Thanks again for the opinions, guys!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I was just throwing the idea of a Superhawk out there. Honestly, I wouldn't buy one but I figured I'd give you another bike to look at.

The Aprilia Mille's can be had cheap nowadays. You could get one for the same price as a 748. I've seen them in the local want ads for $6500 and sometimes even cheaper. Some people consider Aprilia as the "Honda of Italy" because of their reliability. Check out apriliaforum.com if you're interested.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for the tip on both bikes. I really would like to know as many options as possible here. Plus, after owning one of the most commonplace bikes on the planet, I'm ready for something unique and interesting. The V-twin alone scores points, but I wouldn't mind having something half the idiots around here have never heard of.

I didn't realize the Mille was so cheap! You say they are the Honda of Italy, in essence? How is regular maintenance on those? More Ducati-esque, or more Honda-esque? I prefer to work on the bike myself since shops are so expensive and it gives me a great deal of pride, and I'd like to be able to know I could continue doing so (with a service manual).

How is the aftermarket for each of these bikes, by the way? Unless the factory did an excellent job, one of the first things I am going to want is a set of dual exhaust cans to unleash the fury of the V-twin's exhaust note :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
murfnamedsmurf said:
Well, to be honest, I just assumed that both versions of the SV were considered standard, due to the fact that they are listed together as such on the Suzuki website. I'm not sure how they are actually considered by the insurance company. Either way, I'm certain the SV is not on Nationwide's "black list", so it still shouldn't be all that bad.

I'm not particularly fond of the superhawk, to be honest. I like the RC51 a lot, but they seem to be a bit pricey. It will be nice to have something that holds its value, and those bikes sure are nice, but I'm not sure if I'd rather have a new SV or a used RC for the same price. Plus, after thinking about what was said about Italy, I see that I could actually have a Duc 748 for the 7K range. The big issue with a Ducati would be maintenance. I checked valve clearances on my R6 on my 20K service, and it seemed easy enough, but I didn't have to do any adjustment. Don't Ducati's need adjustment every 5K or something?

I guess a better question than SV1000s vs. R6 would be:

What is your pic for the v-twin I should get? I don't want to break the general area of 7K, because even at that point I'll be saving until winter at the very least. It might take me until next season to save that much, and the longer I go without a bike, the crazier I will get. If I could guarantee that I'd get my money back out of it, I'd probably buy an EX500 while I saved for the new bike just to have something to tool around on.

Anyway, SV1000s is still a top choice, but I'm also starting to take a strong interest in the RVT1000 and 748. Like I said, the big problem with Ducati is the constant need for maintenance and the expense of Ducati dealerships. The RC51 is probably growing on me more than any other, to be honest. Damn decisions!

Thanks again for the opinions, guys!
First do your home work before you come out and start spoutin of stuff like "Ducati need constant maintenance".....what did one of your buddies "tell you this". Second you can find a Used Mille or Mille R for around 7 grand. It might not be the R model, so you wont have the ohlins suspension and the oz racing wheels, but you will have a Mille that will make a you happy. And third dont assume that just becuase the RC51 is a jap bike, that it has a better maintenance record then a Mille or a Duc. And have you ever thought about a Tuono, its not a sportbike, but it will have a Mille engine in the frame. I guess what im trying to say is dont be so blinded from what your "buddies" are telling you and go and do some homework. Go to different Forums like a Ducati and Aprilia Forum and post this question. Go to a RC51 forum and do the same thing. In these places is where youll find some good info.

·
Registered
966 Posts
murfnamedsmurf said:
Hey, thanks for the tip on both bikes. I really would like to know as many options as possible here. Plus, after owning one of the most commonplace bikes on the planet, I'm ready for something unique and interesting. The V-twin alone scores points, but I wouldn't mind having something half the idiots around here have never heard of.

I didn't realize the Mille was so cheap! You say they are the Honda of Italy, in essence? How is regular maintenance on those? More Ducati-esque, or more Honda-esque? I prefer to work on the bike myself since shops are so expensive and it gives me a great deal of pride, and I'd like to be able to know I could continue doing so (with a service manual).

How is the aftermarket for each of these bikes, by the way? Unless the factory did an excellent job, one of the first things I am going to want is a set of dual exhaust cans to unleash the fury of the V-twin's exhaust note :)
Ive got a Mille R, and all I have done in the last 15000 miles is change the oil, tires, chain, sprocket. Nothing out the roof. The aftermarket on this bike is huge, it was raced in WSB. It sounds like you want a vtwin for a image thing and the sound, not the way they ride. Most the time the people you meet on Mille's and Mille R's are a differnt type or rider. There educated and dont enjoy doing squidly things, we also enjoy getting away from stop and go traffic and finding "twisties"(I hate that word.) But going from a R6 to a Mille R would be a huge jump, and since your 18 you havnt been riding for that long. And from everything you've posted your kinda clueless on the whole vtwin world. So like I said do your homework. A Duc does take some more care then the Mille, but not by much. And the Tuono basiclly runs like the bullet proof Mille, becuause it has its engine. Im about to adjust the vavles myself on my Mille, and we did my buddies Duc the other day, so if you really like to maintain your bike there are private classes you can take to learn how to adjust your valves. Dont be affraid of a bike just becuase its Italian.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Sv has got 7hp on the superhawk but the sv got ram air induction, fuel injection and almost 2 points higher compression. The suspension is as soft as the superhawk. I love my superhawk, but the sv is a newer design. Go sit on both, they are both great street bikes. I keep up with my friends 929 and new R1 just fine on the corners, but in the straight, the Vtwins can't really match the inline 4. On the streets, the vtwin rules. They are both great bikes but you need to sit on both and see what fits you best. The SVs sitting position is like a sportbike, a lot more extreme than a superhawk. I never had soar wrists, even on a 200 mile trip. Vtwins rule.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all, I know I have not been riding terribly long, but I don't think 2 years quite classifies me as a newbie.

Secondly, if I was all about image, I would be going straight for a Ducati, since that's what all the "buddies" think is the best bike in the world. The reason I seem so ignorant is because I want to gather as much knowledge as possible. No, I don't know a ton about v-twins and Italian bikes. I've never owned one. Englighten me. And no, I am not shooting for the v-twin for an image thing. Around here, it's nothing but R6s and all three GSXRs. I swear, I nut myself every time I see something that's actually out of the ordinary. Also, the main reason I want a twin is because I like the power delivery better. I hate the way the linear engines kick in a bit at 5 or 6K and then kick in like hell again at about 11K. I want something that has smooth, yet powerful delivery. From what I have read (here and elsewhere), I'm describing a twin.

Speaking of what I have heard here, I read about the 5K on here. I checked a few maintenance schedules, granted they were on google, and they are showing more like every 2K miles you need to adjust clearances. So instead of harassing me for "spouting off" with so much ignorance, why don't you help a brotha out? I was just reciting what I had noticed on here, and it seems to be true. I'm sorry, but valve clearances every 2K is not reasonable in my book. When it comes to assuming something is reliable because it is japanese or unreliable because it is Italian, I never made any such assumption. As a GENERAL rule, Hondas are some of the most reliable machines on the road. I know from experience with their dirt bikes, and I have heard the same regarding their street bikes. At any rate, I am doing my homework. RIght here, right now. Thanks to those of you who posted some links to other forums, etc.

At any rate, thank you for letting me know about the Mille, its service record, etc. It will be a definate consideration and is in the top running right now.

Also, I am not ruling out bikes with more standard riding positions/designs. I love sport bikes, but I remmeber how impressed I was by this older guy who had basically made his own supermoto up in Shady Valley. He could whip some ass on that thing. Anyway, my only demands are that the bike is reliable and a reasonable price.

Yeah, I understand the twins won't keep up with the inline literbikes in the straights, but I take it easy around town anyway and don't open up until I get to the mountains, where there aren't so many straights. Like I said, the power delivery is actually what attracted me to the twins. Thanks again for your help, man.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The valve clearance thing every 2,000 miles is a bit on the exsesive side. My buddy went to adjust his at 10,000 on his duc and it didnt need it. Were going to check at 15,000 again. There are some on the Aprilia forum that are saying they havnt needed adjustment at 20,000 miles. The parts for a italian bike are a tad bit more expensive IE the oil filter cost $13.00 compared to a Jap bike of $8.00. I wouldnt call riding for 2 years alot, do you have any track experience? And im not sure what your talking about the "smooth" power delievery, any twin feels like its tyring to rip you out of the seat. Going from a 6 to a twin in two years is a big jump. But do what you want to do, becuase your going too anyways. How do you know you like the power deilievery if youve never been on a twin? Any bike is going to need valve adjustments, GSXR's, R6,R1 all of them. Its just alot of the Jap owners dowt own there bikes long enough to get to that point. If you look at the average age of a person that owns a jap bike its around 22 young and stupid, but if you look at the average age of a person who owns a itlalian bike its older, more responsible. That might be another reason that nobody knows the cost of a vavle adjustment on a jap bike. If you got any other quesitons ask.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
i think my next bike is going to be a Buell Firebolt XB12R. i have an 01 R6 with stock gearing, and the Buell is just about as fast but it definately has a lot more power. another plus is it sounds like a muscle car when you rip the throttle. i have never ridden an SV but i am sure they are pretty nice. check this site for performance numbers, you will realize that a lot of bikes are pretty close. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
How about a Suzuki TL1000R? I rode one a few years ago and it was a really great bike!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the link Pat. The Buells are really awesome bikes. I think it's cool that they have fuel in the frame and oil in the swingarm, and I like the overall design a lot. They've got to be a total blast in the mountains too, which such a short wheelbase. If they were not so pricey, I would seriously look into one of those. The Harley dealership around here is the only one to ever offer me a test ride (I've never asked for one). They said as long as I have my endorsement, they just need a copy of my license and a signed disclaimer saying I won't sue them. I thought that was pretty sweet, but I didn't want to get hooked on a bike I couldn't afford, so I decided it was worthless to ride it. Either I didn't like it and it was a waste of time, or I did, and now I can't afford the bike I want, know what I mean?

Chsn - I wasn't sure about the maintenance. Ferarris have to have the entire engine dropped at 10K for a complete overhaul, so it didn't sound out of the question that the manufacturer would expect valve clearance adjustments every 5K.

Nonetheless, I don't know where you got this negative image of me. I guess it's because I'm 18 on an R6. As far as that is concerned, think what you may. However, I am not one of those irresponsible young idiots to which you were referring. Yes, I have done some irresponsible things on the bike. I've seen 30+ year old men do the same. That's not an age thing, that's a guy thing. As far as my riding experience goes, I would not call it a lot either. That's why I didn't. I simply said that I am not the newbie you are trying to portray me as. No, I do not have any track experience. The closest track is VIR, and I am a full-time student. I don't have the money right now to go up to VA for a track day. Believe me, the advanced rider's course and a track day are high on the priority list. They are both things that I will probably do over next summer.

Okay, I realize V-twins have a ton of power. I understood that every time you conveyed it. The LINEAR powerband is what I am referring to when I speak of power delivery. Yes, there may be a ton of power, but at least it doesn't come in three very huge intervals. I understand that going from a 6 to a twin literbike is going to be a big jump (possibly b***** than I expected at first, due to feedback I had gotten on the SV1000), but I am not going to buy another inline 6. I simply don't like the power delivery as compared to what I have been told about twins. No, I have not experienced a twin for myself. Could you kindly point me in the direction of someone who will let me test ride a twin? Yeah, so it will be a while before I can find someone willing to do that. I know (but am not friends with) a guy with an RC51, so maybe I can convince him to let me give it a shot, just to check it out.

By the way, I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the cost of a valve adjustment. The cost to me was $5 for the feeler gauges I had to buy. I imagine it would be fairly similar with any other bike, but I'm just looking to make sure. Like I said, I may seem ignorant to you (or you may feel good behaving as if I do), but that is truly because I'm looking for as much input as possible so I can be as wise as possible when the time finally comes to make the decision. I am sure I will still be learning little things in half a year when I pick out a bike.

By the way, I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about people starting on ____ bike, or moving up after ____ time. No, two years is not a ton of experience, particularly without track experience, but what difference does it make? I just want opinions and information on good twins. I'm ready for something different, and that's the bottom line.

EDIT:

Yammy - I like the TLs except the fact that they look a good bit like the older gixxers. They have their differences, but I'd rather not have kids asking me "is that a gixxer 1K or what?" all the time. Don't get me wrong, they are nice bikes but if I go Suzuki I think I will probably still with a full-fairing SV. Thanks for the idea though :cheers

·
Registered
966 Posts
No, No, No a Farrari isnt a bike:) two completly different companies(im joaking here). I dont have a negative image of you, I was 19 on a 01 GSXR 600, but Im a fast learner. I went through 2 other GXR 600 (stolen) and have been on the track/racing since the second month of my riding life. So I know what your saying about responsibility. The three intervals your refurring too, will seem like a minute power punch when you get on a v-twin. The power isnt smooth like your thinking, maybe the word your looking for is graduly aggresive. I mean the power comes with a surge from 4 grand all the way up. And is almost equall to the torque of two R6's. Honestly talk to the guy with the RC51, see what he likes and dislikes about his twin. And the only reason people are concerend about people going from this bike to that bike in this time frame is....a R6 is a good bike, nice componets, good brakes....but a R1 is basiclly double that bike, awsome brakes, excellent componets, which means the R1 will get you in trouble twice as fast as the R6 can. You think you know how to ride a bike, then you jump on a R1 and try and do the same things. Well on the R1 your braking points have to be much earliear then being on your R6, becuase your going faster. I know this concept is easy to understand on the screen, but when your panicing and trying to stay under control, then you relize why people have these concerns. I hope it doesnt come off like im preaching to you, I just think going from a R6 to a v-twin is a huge leap, but if you think your ready then give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts