Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend knows some kid who is selling this bike. Don't know the details. She says it starts and smokes and has about 25k miles. When I try to get more info she doesn't know. I have never split a case or anything like that. But, I can do valve adjustments, carb work, etc. I know that its much more than that. Im just trying to give an idea of what I can do.I would definitely use a manual if I tried to tackle it myself. I am willing to try or at least can get someone to do the job if its worth it. All I have is these pics. I have never seen it. But, that sounds like a sweet deal if it is in good shape and all it needs is a gasket for a few bucks. What do u guys think?

Attachments

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
An engine doesn't just pop a head gasket for no reason, and you don't know the circumstances that made it blow. I'd steer very clear because that $1000 bike could quickly become far more expensive than it's worth. Also if the oil and water have been mixing a while you could be looking at replacing all the bearings as well.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Who says it is a head gasket ? A experienced persons with the qualifications , or some kid who think his badly adjusted unlubed chain clattering around it sprockets is his big end gone ?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If you buy this "sweet deal" you need to go into it planning to tear the engine down and rebuilding it, otherwise you could be chasing issues until you do.

As said above, head gaskets don't blow from just riding it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what i was told. That's all I know. Like I said I don't know the kid

Who says it is a head gasket ? A experienced persons with the qualifications , or some kid who think his badly adjusted unlubed chain clattering around it sprockets is his big end gone ?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
a complete, used replacement is about $1k. If the fairings are good and you have time to monkey around, go for it. The core motor is probably worth half of the replacement. You could have yourself an fun winter project and nice $1500 bike come spring. I really like the first and second gen R1s, before they gained a bunch of weight and lost their low-end power.

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
I honestly haven't ever seen a modern sportbike pop a head gasket, which says something. Typically car engines blow them from overheating, which usually has another problem at its root.
This guy is spot on. I'm a mechanic for a living and any bike that is that relatively new and popped a head gasket usually speaks to gross neglect. Maybe you get the engine running again, but possibly every other part of the bike is just as broken and wore out as the engine.
Buying a project is one thing. Buying junk is another. I'd steer clear of this one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This guy is spot on. I'm a mechanic for a living and any bike that is that relatively new and popped a head gasket usually speaks to gross neglect. Maybe you get the engine running again, but possibly every other part of the bike is just as broken and wore out as the engine.
Buying a project is one thing. Buying junk is another. I'd steer clear of this one.
Every other part is easy to examine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts