Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have recently purchased a 99 R1 and I noticed right away that in traffic it seemed to be heating up? I never heard the fan come on. I am wondering if there is a easy way to figure out if the fan is working or should I just take it to the shop? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
what temp does it get up too. fan should kick on at 220-230 f 105-110c i think.

to check the fan just disconnect its connector and hook it to a power source. if the fan works it will spin.

other things you might want to check are coolant (color/smell/level), thermostat(does the bike overheat, then quickly start cooling down, then overheat again), pump(probably not), and radiator(are there a bunch of bugs blocking the passageways).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hottest I have seen it get is sitting in traffic and that was 223 degrees then I started moving and the temp came right down to around 170 it seems to run between 150-170 while riding at normal speeds. It only comes up when sitting and idling. I'll do some checking thanks for the info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2001 r1 did the exact same thing. On a hot still night I would end up having to shut it down if the traffic was slow enough. The fan worked and everything was normal, the stock cooling system was just nat able to handle it. Only solution is to keep moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts