Sport Bikes banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
well you didnt flip them? put #1 cylinder cam lobes facing away as they are supposed to be.
But I can clearly see in the pic you have the ex cam in the proper spot, the lines on cam sprockets and timing (crank) align- but your cams are still backwards...

Is there any particular reason you have the bolt off the pick up coil rotor? Or is that just to show us that in fact the rotor is on properly (which short of breaking something can't go on wrong)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
no haven't flipped them. The bolt is off because I was getting ready to take it apart again but thought I'd snap some pics first and post them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think we have established that he has the marks on the cam sprockets and timing in the correct position, even if 180 degrees off for ignition timing.

But thanks because I suck at trying to load up pics or attachments and that makes the explanation I gave earlier easier to follow.

To the OP; I have never had to remove the ignition rotor or bolt to remove the cams.....hmmm

Synopsis, assembled it wont turn over, but yet with the cams removed it spins over fine...no missing parts, all dowel pins etc are accounted for and while the cam sprockets certainly are on backwards (180 degrees off) it ran and performed just fine before. All shims are properly placed in the valve keeper pocket-so as the buckets are sitting properly. Intake and exhuast cams are in the proper locations, and the cam cap (as one unit) can only go on one way-so it is correct.

It has got to be that the cams need to be flipped so at #1/#4 TDC the #1 lobes are aiming away from each other, instead of towards each other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I pulled the rotor to be sure the one guide didn't slide upwards and that the chain wasn't bunching up. It appears that the guide had popped up just a little(maybe I hooked it with my curved pick that I used to fish the chain out with) and when I torqued down the cam cap the sprocket pushed the chain into the top of the guide not letting me spin the crank.

Ok so that's figured out so now I'll button it up(with the cams flopped) and again check the valve clearance and see if she runs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so this thread is a little old but I'm doing the valve clearances on my 2005 zx6r 636 and I'm seeing something different than the manual too. My sprockets appear to be 180 off also. I haven't taken any of it apart yet and the bike was running fine, so it's not just you.

So just to be sure, the #1 cyl is on our left when sitting on the bike, correct? But when my valves and lobes are indicating TDC for cyl 1 on the compression stroke (lobes facing away from each other, crankshaft mark lined up), my cam gear marks are pointing inward instead of outward like the manual shows. They are marked with a paint mark and I can see them with a mechanics mirror.

This makes me think that #1 cyl is actually the one closest to the cam gears as it is in a car. But either way, the service manual has something wrong, or somebody at Kawi is putting a bunch of cam gears on backwards.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts