Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in need of a new truck. I found a '96 Dodge Ram with the Cummings turbo diesel engine. It's a 2500, 4x4, 8 ft. bed, club cab with 253,000 miles. I checked KBB.com and it retails for $12,400. This truck is only $6,000. Does anyone know of any problems to look out for on these trucks? Also, is it reasonable to say that it will get at least 20 mpg? I was looking at getting a 4 cylinder S-10 but this seems like a great deal if everything is mechanically sound.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A friend of mine has an 01 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel with about 50k on it. I think he had some brake problems with it the rotors I believe. I think there was an also an issue with the heater. If you have to get that truck fixed it will cost you plenty it being a 2500 because everything on it is heavy duty. I don't think you will get anywhere near 20mpg. If you don't need the truck for work I would get the 4 cyclinder especially with the gas prices the way they are.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
If you're going to be working a truck HARD (towing more than 4000 pounds on a trailer, filling the bed with dirt on a regular basis, towing anything over long distance, etc) get it.

If you're wanting it to "play" with a diesel (ie: hot rod it - twin turbo kits are available for the Cummins diesel, and these engines are capable of 500 HP + if you know how to play with them), than get it.

If you're wanting it b/c you think it'll get good gas mileage, and it's a good deal, stay away. You could possibly get 20 mph, but with diesel costing more than gasoline, where's the advantage if you're not towing over long distances?

The 2 trucks you're looking at are on complete oposite ends of the spectrum. If you're considering the 4 cyl S-10, chances are, that's what you need. ;)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The S10 is definately more practical for me. I just figured if it really was such a good deal, I could sell it in a few years and not lose much money. The only reason I want a truck is to throw my bike in the back for when I finally get a track bike. I've done a little research and the diesel is getting about 18-19 mpg. I also need a truck quick because I start school again in a few weeks and I don't wanna lug around my gear in school. I just need to hit the lottery...

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
The cummins in that truck is probably in great running shape if it's been taken care of, but I bet the rest of the truck is falling apart. A good diesel will outlast the vehicle it's in anyday of the week. I know the Dana axles underneath it'd be in good shape too, but I dunno who makes the tranny. If it's a dodge tranny, it's probably had 5 already :eek:nfloor.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Truck said:
The cummins in that truck is probably in great running shape if it's been taken care of, but I bet the rest of the truck is falling apart. A good diesel will outlast the vehicle it's in anyday of the week. I know the Dana axles underneath it'd be in good shape too, but I dunno who makes the tranny. If it's a dodge tranny, it's probably had 5 already :eek:nfloor.
Well, the rear axle (Dana) is well known to have problems with high mileage units. The carrier bearing races will actually spin in the housing....thus ruining the housing. With as many miles that this one has, it's probably already been replaced.

The trans is Dodge, and it's probably been rebuilt atleast once. They seem to last for 100k to 150k miles before fucking up.

The Cummins will outlast any truck! They're tuff engines, but realistically (sp?), expect about 350k hard miles out of one before they need to be freshened up.

Buy the S-10, or any other compact truck. This truck, with that many miles on it, WILL give you some problems, and likely nickle and dime you to death.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
But it would also be a bad bitch on 38's with 7-8" of lift and some gear. The choice is yours :lol.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Truck said:
But it would also be a bad bitch on 38's with 7-8" of lift and some gear. The choice is yours :lol.

Eh...I'd personally leave it low(ish) and go for the twin turbo setup with propane injection. :D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i dunno how old this thread is, but if you're still lookin at the CTD ask about the trans first, thats the weak link. I have an 01 2500 CTD and its a powerhouse. only problems ive had was with the trans. oh and btw the 96's had a 12v CTD which is IDEAL!!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Truck said:

LOL I tend to agree. Then remember it's a 4x4 so the front is most likely gone to a peaceful place :lol

and the post date only means more of it will be resting peacefully :eek:nfloor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts