Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 15800 miles on it and I owned it since new about 10 months ago. I have changed the oil and done basic maintence myself since it was new. I was riding home the other day and heard this horrible tapping noise, so I figured it was my valves needed adjusting (they are supposed to be adjusted at 16000 miles on the 954rr) Anyway I go home and checked the oil level, the oil was gone! I put synthetic in it about 5000 miles ago and I know it was due for a change but it was just gone, there wasnt any reading on the glass hole at all. So I get 1 quart, another , then another and finally it was back to being level. The sound is still there, not as bad as it was but its still there. Then I talk to some service guys I know at a honda dealer and they told me the 954rr starves the third piston while wheelieing. I dont know if it is the piston or not, anyone else have this type of problem? Anyone have any ideas of what I should do or what the problem is? And the service dept. says it most likely will not be covered under the warranty. I cant just go buy another bike, that is not an option.

·
Registered
456 Posts
damm, i wouldnt of told them you where wheeling but they should cover it. that is what warrenties are for. as long as you follow all the rules they should cover it. that is why i opted for the full 5 yr warranty on my 1000RR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like the bearing = complete engine teardown needed. You can do a little check: On stand still apply front break and on first gear slowly start to slip the clutch (like doing a burn out except you won't let the rear tire to start spinning, you will feel the load building on the engine as the rear will want to start rolling). If the sound gets louder as you let the clutch out (no moving, no burnout) bearing is the answer. if you won't hear the sound it doesn't mean that it can't be the bearing, but this is just one way to do a quick check.

Let us know what happens...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts