Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope its not trans problem, but I my guess is that it may be. This is the symptoms- There is an oscillating sound when going through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears starting at around 4500 rpm and ending at about 6000 rpm with it being most noticeable at 5500 rpm. No vibrations of any kind are felt. When I pull in the (original) clutch the noise stops. The bike runs and rides like the day I bought it. The bike has a bit over 20k miles, oil (belray exp) has been changed more than enough times, at the very least once a year. I'm the only owner, it was bought new in '98 and I followed break-in guide lines. The bike has not been wheelied much at all, mostly just power wheelies off of little bumps in the road. Needless to say that don't go through the gears on the back wheel. For the most part its been babied. When I purchased the bike I had been working for one of the major mc/atv/pwc accessory distribution companies and talked with many different motorcycle dealers on a daily basis as a inside sales rep. Some said I would probably have to end up getting the transmission gears under cut as 95's had this problem develope. My question is, has anyone had this, or a similar problem with their bike? If it is my trans, is this noise a precursor to this "guessed" problem? I know that I need to just take it in to the dealer an have them look at it, but I'm very leery of my local kawi dealer. They have been in trouble with stolen parts/bikes multiple times over the years and I have never had a good experience with them, even over the simplest things like not being able to tell me the correct oil filter for my bike or couldn't figure out how to cross ref for a different brand of brake pads. For all I know they may have the best mechanics in the world ,but from dealing with their service I'd have to guess the mechs are the same caliber. I most likely will drive 2 hours to St.Louis for anything to be worked on. If anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect I would be most grateful. -Thanks

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never gone over 3k miles with out changing it. If you do the math you'll see that.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
To tell you the truth it doesnt sound like a problem with the tranny. It would make that noise regarless of rpm. Its a constant mesh tranny. Meaning the gears are riding each other all the time.

It does however sound like a bike I had, 94 ZX7, that bastard did the same thing to me with about 10K miles on it. After adjusting the valves, syncing the carbs, and all the other small stupid tune up things I could check and do, it was still there. I just kept riding it till one day I had enough. I pulled the valve cover and low and behold the top cam chain guide had gotten knocked off of the cover, chewed up and sent to the oil pan.

Whats this mean? Unfortunately it may require a cam chain but more than likely because your catching it early it could just need a new tensioner.

I hate that answer because people cry "cam chain tensioner" all to often but on the mid 90's Kawasakis, it tends to happen. I have seen several in the past years. Its a cheap fix and cheap insurance to just have it replaced and see what the difference is.

Good luck on that

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Your problem with that theory is that a cam chain will only make noise when it is not under load. Hence idleing or on decel. Idling happens anytime your at a cruise speed just because your idling along at 8000 rpms doesnt mean your not idling.

When he pulls in the clutch the noise goes away. if it was a clutch or tranny whine, it would be constant as they are always turning. Not intermittent with rpms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts