Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first street bike recently and don't really know a lot about bikes in general but here is my question. Just recently it started having a problen while it was in first gear. The bike will rev up in neatural but when you are in first gear and trying to accelerate it wont rev up very quickly and then it will finally after like 5 sec take off, well today it wont rev up at all when in firtst gear and it will just sputter and feel like it about to die. The original owner said the carb had been jetted will that affect anything. I took the #1 and #4 plug out and they were super black, am I buring too rich. Any tips on tuning this thing, the plugs were NGK R's, what should the gap be. I think I found the fuel air mixture screws, should I mess with those. How do you get to #2 and #3 though, could that be one of the problems, the fuel air is off. Anything else that I could do or anything else that some one can think of that may be causing the problem. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your bike has a aftermarket slipon, or full system. Then this is probably why the original owner had it jetted (to get the bike to run properly with a aftermarket exhaust). But as you can see something is wrong, sorry to say. But it's not a big deal. If your bike DOES NOT have the stock exhaust I would start with changing out the plugs, and trying that. If that fails, tear the carb down clean it out, and see what size jets have been put in there and go from there. It will be alot to do, since you are just starting out, but you will get to know your bike. The best thing to do while your tearing your carb down is get to know a good local bike shop where you can get parts from and advise from. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts