Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple questions, I bought a 94 gs500 that wasnt running and I got it running and rideable, I need to find out why my start button isn't working. An It's running a little lean (hanging rev). It's a 01 carburetor the air mixture screws are 2.5 turns out and the needle clip is on the 2 clip from the top. Any suggestions to adjust. I sprayed carb cleaner on the gaskets. No air leaks. And what's the top speed that's comfortable in rpms? It's my first sport bike I've grown up on dirt. It seems I'm in 3rd-4th at 40-45mph. Is that normal?

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
3-4 going 40-45 doesn't seem quite right. We had a 98 before and I think 3rd would go to 50-55 or so? 4th would get me to about 70??

Problem with ours was gas leaking past the carbs if it sat for some time. Didn't notice it immediately, but as it was going bad I think it wouldn't rev high till really warmed up. Could be mistaken. One day or two was ok, but more than that we smelled fuel in the oil. Had the carbs rebuilt and good to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3-4 going 40-45 doesn't seem quite right. We had a 98 before and I think 3rd would go to 50-55 or so? 4th would get me to about 70??

Problem with ours was gas leaking past the carbs if it sat for some time. Didn't notice it immediately, but as it was going bad I think it wouldn't rev high till really warmed up. Could be mistaken. One day or two was ok, but more than that we smelled fuel in the oil. Had the carbs rebuilt and good to go.
I didn't think it was correct either. I have 01 carbs in it and I can't adjust the needles it seems like? I found an air leak on one of them though that Fixed so we will see how it goes round two

·
Registered
968 Posts
2.5 turns out is more appropriate for a higher altitude.

·
Rider
101 Posts
........................... It seems I'm in 3rd-4th at 40-45mph. Is that normal?
Tach will tell you more than speedo, I run around at about 4-6k rpm mostly but have run 7-9k rpm for hours on end for spirited riding in the mountain twisties. GS500 engine is quite happy with either. I've run my 97 and 02 GSs completely stock for over 175k miles so far. By the way, stock GS won't hit redline until 106 mph in 4th but stock HP peak is at 8500 rpm so not much to be gained over 9k or so.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tach will tell you more than speedo, I run around at about 4-6k rpm mostly but have run 7-9k rpm for hours on end for spirited riding in the mountain twisties. GS500 engine is quite happy with either. I've run my 97 and 02 GSs completely stock for over 175k miles so far. By the way, stock GS won't hit redline until 106 mph in 4th but stock HP peak is at 8500 rpm so not much to be gained over 9k or so.

Thanks for the info! I pick up the battery today and then I'm going to figure out why my start button stopped working. I've been bridging the starter solenoid haha. I was kind of afraid to run high rpms just because I bought it as a project and don't know what it's capable of :p I will see if the gs will match your diagram.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
FWIW I ride around in the 4-6k range on the tach. A simple rule of thumb that works for me is to be in the gear that the speed limit starts with. 15mph - 1st, 25mph - 2nd, 35mph - 3rd, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW I ride around in the 4-6k range on the tach. A simple rule of thumb that works for me is to be in the gear that the speed limit starts with. 15mph - 1st, 25mph - 2nd, 35mph - 3rd, etc.
That means I'm only going 65 by 6th gear. To be freeway safe i want to go 70-75 so I'm not going slower than the speed of traffic haha

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
...Go as fast as you want, I don't care about that. If you're on the highway cruising you will be in 6th gear which will take you up into the 100mph range if you want to go that fast.

To spell it out for you on how I usually do it for casual riding.

0mph - 19mph -- 1st gear
20-29 -- 2nd gear
30-39 -- 3rd gear
40-49 -- 4th gear (if just cruising along i'll throw it into 6th)
50-59 -- 5th gear (if just cruising along i'll throw it into 6th)
60+ -- 6th gear

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
the starter button is very simple. It might just be dirty contacts, where there's actual metal on metal contact to close the circuit. Or if there's a plastic part that acts as some lever inside, it might be broken.

See if you can jump the wires right at the switch. It will tell you if its the switch that's bad if jumping it you start. if it doesn't start, it could be the circuit is open to wherever youre jumping it to start it.

To be honest, i have no idea about your model specifically but just speaking in general terms. if you have no problem jumping it to start it, i'm not sure why should have trouble tracing the circuit to find the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...Go as fast as you want, I don't care about that. If you're on the highway cruising you will be in 6th gear which will take you up into the 100mph range if you want to go that fast.

To spell it out for you on how I usually do it for casual riding.

0mph - 19mph -- 1st gear
20-29 -- 2nd gear
30-39 -- 3rd gear
40-49 -- 4th gear (if just cruising along i'll throw it into 6th)
50-59 -- 5th gear (if just cruising along i'll throw it into 6th)
60+ -- 6th gear
Haha thank you wasn't trying to come off as an ass, I rode it more yesterday and it seemed to cruise up to 50ish pretty smoothly. I realized I was 6th tapped doing 60, it was a bog though so I thought i just under revved the shifts. Went back and tried again and got up to 67 about 6k and it bogged down and died. I think I have a problem with gas flow somewhere, stupid dual petcock

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the starter button is very simple. It might just be dirty contacts, where there's actual metal on metal contact to close the circuit. Or if there's a plastic part that acts as some lever inside, it might be broken.

See if you can jump the wires right at the switch. It will tell you if its the switch that's bad if jumping it you start. if it doesn't start, it could be the circuit is open to wherever youre jumping it to start it.

To be honest, i have no idea about your model specifically but just speaking in general terms. if you have no problem jumping it to start it, i'm not sure why should have trouble tracing the circuit to find the problem.
I will for sure give that a try. I know the horn wire was punched at the forks cause I found it haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts