Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally i thought the battery was dead so i got a new battery and put it in there and now i get nothing, the lights don’t come on nothing. i put in new fuses including the main fuse and nothing happens. Even before I got the battery it did this. Any suggestion?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
By "main fuse" do you mean a fusible link near the battery? If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at the battery and at a few of the fuses.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Agree with Ray.

If you check those fuses with a volt meter you should be able to tell if the power is actually making it to the fuse.

On a bike of that age, it's POSSIBLE that some of the connections on that fuse block might have rusted and broken. I had this issue about 5 years ago with an older bike. Fuse block literally rusted almost away, and I had no power. Checking the fuses and such showed that everything was fine...it wasn't until AFTER I removed the fuse block that I realized how messed up the underside of it was.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Also...here's a REALLY dumb question...but did you make sure the new battery had a charge before you put it in??

I know my bike uses those batteries that you have to mix the acid...then you have to charge it on a trickle charger for like 8 hours before you put it in the bike.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Check for a bad ground. Use a trouble light to check for power through out the bike. Meters are not as easy to use and sometimes give out a false positive reading until the component is actually used then an open in the circuit is created.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
1. check battery charged

2. Get jumper leads connect the black to the negative and then to a bare metal contact, brake disks are pretty reliable. If everything lights up you need to look at you ground most likely where it bolts to the frame needs to be clean tight and free of corrosion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agree with Ray.

If you check those fuses with a volt meter you should be able to tell if the power is actually making it to the fuse.

On a bike of that age, it's POSSIBLE that some of the connections on that fuse block might have rusted and broken. I had this issue about 5 years ago with an older bike. Fuse block literally rusted almost away, and I had no power. Checking the fuses and such showed that everything was fine...it wasn't until AFTER I removed the fuse block that I realized how messed up the underside of it was.

+1

Similar thing on my old gs550, check all the wires and connections.

If the connection looks bad just go ahead and replace it, it will save you a lot of time in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts