Sport Bikes banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been reading threads on this site for a while, saving up dough for my first bike. I am a bike nub, about to sign up for the MSF class. I have been trolling through cycle trader and harassing my local bike dealerships for decent prices on used bikes. I have always read that the ninja ex500 and old f2's are good starter bikes.

I just saw this ad for a 92 Katana 600 with 4000 miles and it's selling for $2,700. First off, is that a good starter bike? Also, Is that a decent price for the year and mileage?

If anybody can give input/advice it'd be greatly appreciated. And if you guys can name any other good starter bikes (and best years for them if applicable) that'd be great too.

Thanks,

Jon

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
not the best nor the worst, for the same kind of $, you can get a nice 500 class bike....

·
Registered
912 Posts
read my sig

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a '93 ninja 600R? Is it old enough so that it's still a decent start bike?

I found a 2000 ex500 with 5700 miles and they're asking $3000 OBO....is that a good price for the bike if it would be in good condition?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
the ex is a much better starter bike........offer him $2250 and go up from there...... :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
jjduke15F4i said:
How about a '93 ninja 600R? Is it old enough so that it's still a decent start bike?

I found a 2000 ex500 with 5700 miles and they're asking $3000 OBO....is that a good price for the bike if it would be in good condition?
Get the EX500.

So many people come through here recommending older 600s (CBR600F2s, FZR600s, early Ninja, etc) as first bikes because they are no longer the top flight sport machines. Well, they were the top flight machines in their day. They weren't beginner bikes then and they aren't beginner bikes now just because power has increased and weight has decreased. We haven't evolved at the same rate as the bikes have in a 10-15 year period. The older bikes to a newbie will bite just as hard as the newer ones will, sometimes even worse. The older bikes are often more marginal on suspension compliance, frame strength, tires, brakes and weight and they can get a new rider into trouble just as quickly as the harder edged modern machines.

For a new sport rider, no more than 500cc save for the Yamaha Seca II (a 600cc air-cooled inline four, same power as the Ninja 500).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I got a 94 EN 500, and it has been plenty fast for a beginner. Just enough so that on an open stretch of road I can open it all the way through like 4th gear. And that is enough to get my adrinaline going. I think it will teach me a lot before I move up to my next bike, I am thinking of moving up to an ex500, then to some sort of 600, not sure what, but I think that will be a long time in the future.

·
Registered
681 Posts
coyotelance said:
Well, I got a 94 EN 500, and it has been plenty fast for a beginner. Just enough so that on an open stretch of road I can open it all the way through like 4th gear. And that is enough to get my adrinaline going. I think it will teach me a lot before I move up to my next bike, I am thinking of moving up to an ex500, then to some sort of 600, not sure what, but I think that will be a long time in the future.
Smart way to begin a biking career! :dblthumb

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
diggidy diggidy dam diggin tha old threads lately man there has been alot of that goin around...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Even though this is an old thread, having owned a Katana 750, I can not recommend any of them to anyone.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
Yeah, well maybe someone can learn from it.
one can only hope...:eatpop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.