Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my bike to town today...she started up just fine although I thought I noticed the starter sounded a bit slow before the bike fired up.

On the way to town, my bike dies while idling at a stoplight. I fire it up again and visit a friend.

1 1/2 hour later I try to start the bike and the starter is trying to fire...but it sounds slow..as if the battery is low on power.

I keep trying and the starter makes a clicking sound.

The person who owned the bike just changed the battery recently ....any idea what could be wrong?

Cost to fix?

Thanks! :)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
MT I hate to see you having problems man... I hate problems.... I hope it's inexpensive/easy!!!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spike said:
MT I hate to see you having problems man... I hate problems.... I hope it's inexpensive/easy!!!
I hear you... and yes hope the fix isn't too pricey.

We shall see

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Fully Charge the battery. then put it back on the bike. Start the bike. With a meter accross the battery, measure the voltage when the engine is revved to about 5,000rpm. It should be above 13, almost 14 volts. If not (like it still says 12 volts or less) your charging system is messed up.

You may also want to have the battery tested at the local auto parts store with a load tester. (after it is fully charged)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001FZ1 said:
Fully Charge the battery. then put it back on the bike. Start the bike. With a meter accross the battery, measure the voltage when the engine is revved to about 5,000rpm. It should be above 13, almost 14 volts. If not (like it still says 12 volts or less) your charging system is messed up.

You may also want to have the battery tested at the local auto parts store with a load tester. (after it is fully charged)
where can I get a motorcycle battery charger?

sears?

the problem with the f2 is I don't think I can get easy access to the battery compartment via the seat.

thanks for the info...I will try it if I can or we may take it to the shop first.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
EDIT: nevermind i'm an idiot, i didn't read the whole post before responding

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
MT Wallet said:
The person who owned the bike just changed the battery recently ....any idea what could be wrong?

Cost to fix?

Thanks! :)
I'm pretty sure the battery is relatively new

·
Registered
968 Posts
Are your cables tight and clean at the battery?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info people :)

I actually didn't look at the battery, I don't know how to get to it...so I was gonna take her to the local shop, not the dealer...which is cheaper.

The guy who sold me the bike is a standup dude, he actually came to help me get the bike today...he was gonna use his truck.

But the repair shop is closed sunday and monday so we're gonna try again tuesday.

We did run start it a couple times, but once you let the revs down the bike dies! He did get to take it around the block and it was fine, but when he came back and idled -- it died again.

·
20,262 Posts
Did you ever bump up the RPM's for the idle?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rascus said:
Did you ever bump up the RPM's for the idle?
not really Rascus... I just let it idle.

I don't really like blipping the throttle esp. at stoplights cause of the cars around me.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
I think he meant to raise the idle speed a bit. What speed is it idling at now? Or rather, not idling q:

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
that should be high enough..

From what i can get from the microfische, it shouldn't be a big deal to get to the battery. I know on the katana and TLS you have to take off a bracket to get to it, but it's no big deal. Seems like it's right under the rider's butt. If you've got access to a multimeter, check this out. Though if you're not gonna be able to fix it yourself anyway, might as well just take it to a shop..

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Enos I appreciate it.

eventually I'll get a honda owner's manual and my friend will show me how to change oil.

the fairings look very easy to take off, the screws are on the outside

·
20,262 Posts
definitly have them check out the electrical system. if the battery is new it's probably the alternator then. no idea what it would cost to fix. The rest man we can do over here. What shop are you taking it too?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rascus said:
definitly have them check out the electrical system. if the battery is new it's probably the alternator then. no idea what it would cost to fix. The rest man we can do over here. What shop are you taking it too?
Hey Rascus I was gonna go to Andy's since he saw the f2 before

It'll be cheaper according to the seller

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You have already been told what to do. Replace the rectifier. On F2 models, if the battery is bad than virtually 100 percent of the charging issues are caused by a faulty rectifier. A place called Cycletherapy sells an improved model for the F2.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts