Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The double sided swingarm makes sense, the "small" (cheaper) bike has to look different... Having the cheaper bike look like the big bike just eats their bottom line. That's why the 848 SF was successful and the 1098 SF sales came to a halt when the 848 SF arrived.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if this means they'll update the SF848 with the new motor.

I should have plenty of extra funds in about a year and a half once I pay off a couple student loans and a high end naked may fill that gap quite nicely.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The Superquadro does not fit in the 916 derived trelis frame that was designed for Pantah derived engines, if Ducati replaces the SF it will be with an all new bike... Which could be likely just a naked Panigale. After all, "naked" bikes like the SF have more plastic covering the bike internals than some fully faired bikes.

What baffles me is that VW is allowing Ducati to keep digging its grave with the monocoque madness. Considering VW's healthy financial situation I'd expect them to give Ducati enough money for a 180° turn around, not to just keep chugging along with the same failed concept.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The double sided swingarm makes sense, the "small" (cheaper) bike has to look different... Having the cheaper bike look like the big bike just eats their bottom line. That's why the 848 SF was successful and the 1098 SF sales came to a halt when the 848 SF arrived.
Negative, the 848 SF is a hit because unlike it's big brother it has usable power and a better riding position.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
The Superquadro does not fit in the 916 derived trelis frame that was designed for Pantah derived engines, if Ducati replaces the SF it will be with an all new bike... Which could be likely just a naked Panigale. After all, "naked" bikes like the SF have more plastic covering the bike internals than some fully faired bikes.

What baffles me is that VW is allowing Ducati to keep digging its grave with the monocoque madness. Considering VW's healthy financial situation I'd expect them to give Ducati enough money for a 180° turn around, not to just keep chugging along with the same failed concept.
While I know what you’re saying, and agree with some bikes (V2 Tuono), The only body work hiding any engine on the SF is the chin fairing which is part of the lower radiator. unless you are counting the belt covers as bodywork.

…and I didn’t realize the 1199 was a failed concept.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Looks nice, just like its big brother.

What is the tank made out of on the panigale?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
…and I didn’t realize the 1199 was a failed concept.
It is doing just as good in WSBK as the monocoque Desmosedici did in Moto GP. Ducati went from a solid 3rd postition as a manufacturer in 2012 to a last, by far, in 2013. The 888, 916, 996, 999, 1098 and 1198 were competitive on their first years in WSBK, the Panigale isn't. In fact, the Panigale is doing worse in WSBK than the Honda, and that is the oldest bike in the grid. In fact, 2013 has been the worst year for Ducati in WSBK since 1988 and the very first time they rank last in WSBK! Don't you think that is kind of a failure?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
at the same time holding a solid 2nd in Superstock...
And it can be the fastest bike in a trackday, your point is that...???

Panigale R, with a set of Öhlins suspension, Brembo brakes and forged wheels worth more than a ZX-10R can actually win to the Kawasaki in Superstock. What an amazing feat. (And that "solid" 2nd place is just 7 points ahead of the Kawasaki)

Go into WSBK, start adding upgrades to the Kawasaki an the Panigale, leveling the playing field, and the Panigale just can't keep up. The 7 point lead of the Panigale turns into a 175 point lead for the Kawasaki.

Is this the start for another 5 years of Ducati Apologists coming up with excuses for the bike's lackluster performance?

·
Registered
808 Posts
In terms of style, my 2 favorite things about my bike are the single sided swingarm and the trellis frame.

At least they're not living in the past I spose. I'm not a fan of the panigale, maybe the next Ducati will interest me.

Im also about 99% sure that Ducati isn't happy at all about the racing results from the panigale. Ducati owned wsbk on the 1098/1198 when it was in its first few years. Claiming 2nd place in a not top tier series prolly wasn't in there goals.

You can say that superstock is the best comparison to the product, but the fact is. Motogp and WSBK validate your technology and push it as hard as it will go. Superstock puts riders on a nearly fair footing and the rider will make a larger diference.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts

Im also about 99% sure that Ducati isn't happy at all about the racing results from the panigale. Ducati owned wsbk on the 1098/1198 when it was in its first few years. Claiming 2nd place in a not top tier series prolly wasn't in there goals.
obviously they could be doing better, but the chassis of the 1199 is far from a failed concept. not to mention, IIRC it gets pretty decent reviews as a streetbike.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
obviously they could be doing better, but the chassis of the 1199 is far from a failed concept. not to mention, IIRC it gets pretty decent reviews as a streetbike.
Ducati withrew the monocoque frame off MotoGP by the time the Panigale was being launched, it was far too late to redesign the Pancake. The technology failed, Ducati knows it, they are aware of it and that's why their prototype bike is no longer using it.

Ducatisti fanboy logic defies me. If Ducati is using it, it means it is a godsent gift to humanity, even if the technology has failed at everything and not even Ducati is using it anymore in their MotoGP bike. 2 years ago Ducati Apologists were preaching how the Panigale would dominate WSBK and prove the monocoque is actually the best thing to ever happen to humanity, even better than sliced bread. Fast forward 2 years and Ducati is getting their worst results in WSBK in the last 24 years.

But... but... it is a good street bike.

But... but... $30,000 Panigale can barely beat $15,000 Kawasaki in Superstock, its awesome!

FFS, it failed miserably in MotoGP, it is failing miserably in WSBK, yet the fanboys believe it is the best idea evar! Yes, fanboys, overlooking the facts is the true trademark of a fanboy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts