Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i really need some help here. i am new to this thread as a member so i apologize if i posted in the wrong thread. anyways i am currently looking at a bike on craigslist and its a 89 honda vtr250 interceptor. its priced at 1000. ive been talking to the guy selling it and it was dropped once before, "not while moving, just fell over" so it has a slightly bent clutch lever. he said for 1200 he would replace the fluids and the lever for me, i think il pass on that. anyways i need your guys' help to determine if its worth it or not. the only 2 things that im worried about is the mileage, which is about 27k, and he said the fan wont kick on so in summer it will get a little hot. i'm not too worried about that since the fan isn't too hard to diagnose. i guess my main concern is the mileage? is that too much for a 250? is this bike worth it? thanks in advance. here's the link if you're interested in checking out the pic and description.

1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor

·
Introvert
329 Posts
As long as it's been properly maintained over the years, there's no reason a bike's engine can't last every bit as long as a car. There's a member here that has over 200,000 miles on an F4i and still going strong. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. It's only a grand anyway, you could probably get it down from that price even more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on dude thanks. i know 27k isnt too high for the average bike, i was just a little concerned as im not familiar with 250cc bikes. didnt know the average life span of them. thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually the VTR250 is pretty much at the end of its useful life at 27,000 miles. Sure some last longer, but being a V-twin especially a small one that lives its entire life and high revs being wrung for everything it's worth the cylinder walls start to go egg shaped and wear poorly causing a lot of performance problems. They are also very susceptible to stator/rectifier gremlins. I have owned 7 of them and have done custom work on at least a couple dozen others over the years including one that we turbo charged with blow thru carbs and I rarely have seen them last more than 30,000 miles even from owners with a lot of mechanical sympathy.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually the VTR250 is pretty much at the end of its useful life at 27,000 miles.
While I'll agree not to buy this one its less about the engine design and more about this particular model. It was known as the mechanical hand grenade basically the quality control was pretty variable. The latter model Spada is a better bike and the current VTR250 is vastly better than both of those.

The VT250 is a reminder that is wasn't too long ago the big H used to pump out some steaming piles on occasion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts