Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Throat Puncher!
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this larp at work that keeps on telling me that the VMAX is faster than the GSXR 1100 that came out in 86. He's a bitch :pisson . Someone please tell me which one is faster! It's hard to find actual specs on the VMAX, but we were able to find specs on the GSXR. He's a bitch :spank. The only thing we know about the VMAX, is that it is a 1200 V-twin. Any expert advice or opinions would be appreciated!

P.S. He's a bitch. :gay

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
VMAX's are hella drag bikes......

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought the V-Max hasn't really changed in the 20 years or so it's been in production. It was in one of my magazines that compared it to some other power cruiser. I THINK the 1/4 mile time was around a 11.5

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
assuming no mods, the gsxr will be faster on top speed, but I wouldn't bet against a vmax on acceleration, they were very quick bikes in a straight line, but they don't go around corners very well. :)

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
If the guy on the GSXR can't ride too good and the guy on the V-Max can the Max will win. I believe the Max will run high tens with a good rider. It all comes down to who's riding the bike. The Max is in no way a slouch.

·
Throat Puncher!
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok fine. If the same rider were to ride both bikes stock in the quarter mile timed, which would dominate!

·
Throat Puncher!
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i find that hard to believe, anyone got any lap times? or tech info.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
mastersixx said:
i find that hard to believe, anyone got any lap times? or tech info.
lap times the gsxr would probably win, the vmax didn't handle at all, actually a 86 gsxr didn't handle either, as the chassis wasn't up to the engine, but as the question was which was quickest in a straight line then the vmax would win.
:)

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
a couple of mags did this test back in 86. sorry but i got rid of those mags not to long ago and do not remember which did it, probably cycle world, or how it turned out.

edit july 1986 hot rod did the test.

edit 2 go here for reprints on different test.Mag reprints

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
as others have pointed out, the VMAX is no slouch and with a good rider will eat a lot of bikes in the quarter mile.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
the Vmax would win the 1/4 but not by too much. 2 tenths. 0-100 it would murder the GSXR though. it was the quickest, hardest hitting bike of the time and still would shock the hell out of alot of todays riders with how quick it is.

i think the insurance industry released a statastic on the Vmax that when it was relaeased 1 in 4 riders died on it. it was not a bike to fuck around on. 120bhp 80lbs-ft. the bike would light up the old rim savers even in third gear.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The reason they have not changed the Vmax since it came out in 84 is because it is perfect the way it is. A 1200cc, liquid-cooled V-4 beast that´s won more Best Musclebike awards than it knows what to do with.
Power: 102.00 HP (74.5 kW)) @ 8000 RPM
Torque: 101.00 Nm (10.3 kgf-m or 74.5 ft.lbs) @ 6000 RPM
Fuel System: (4) 35mm Mikuni downdraft-type w/V-Boost
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1

·
Registered
361 Posts
i thought I remember reading an article back in the day, they put a 120# pro drag racer on top of a stock v-max with a tire and a drag bar and they got the bike into the 9's

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've ridden the V-max and it was a really nice bike...good power.....but it's reputaion is way beyond the reality. It's not the beast everyone says it is. It won't light the tire up in anything but 1st gear with throttle only....maybe if you fan the clutch. It's a quick bike, and in it's day, compared to other bikes, especially cruisers, it was a beast. But time has caught up with it and passed it by. Today it's just a pretty quick bike.
Assuming riders of equal ability, my money would be on the '86 GSXR.
Anything after about 1990, no contest. the liter sized sportbike spanks Mr. Max.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts