Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy i know went and looked at an 86 GPZ 1000 that someone is selling for (i think) around $800. The guy who is selling it said the only problem is that there is an oil leak, which he said was comming from one of the hoses dangling underneath the bike. Could it be possible that the oil is leaking from one of these hoses? The guy also said he changed a gasket at the bottom of the bike but didn't say which one he changed. Other then that it seems in ok shape. The guy i know will be able to fix the problems, but he doesn't want to pay for the bike and then have to put more money in to fix it up. What else would it be? Any ideas? Thanks :cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
no need to find it. my 1980 GS450 leaked oil. I just kept a pan underneeth it and fresh oil onhand. As it leaked out, I replaced it. Bonus being, Never had to change the oil as it always got fresh oil :)

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol thats a plus. But he was weary because lets say he is riding around and the bike is leaking oil. He gets some oil on his tire while taking a turn. He doesn't want to take a chance of having the bike slip out from him because of some oil.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump :cheers

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
1980 GZ450 = Air cooled bike, quite normal for them to leak oil (if it isn't leaking oil, fix it, it must be something wrong with it or it already ran out of oil!)

1986 GPZ1000 = Watercooled bike, oil leak = no good. I would get it inspected, or inspect the leak myself. There is no hose that could be leaking oil on ANY bike (not even the PCV hose would leak that kind of oil).
I think it may be a bad gasket, but it can be worse, like a cracked engine case.
For such an old bike you can't take that kind of chance, you must know why it is leaking oil in order to know if the thing is worth $800 or should go straight to the junkyard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
just a thought but could it have had too much oil in the crankcase and the oil is being blown up into the air filter box and then draining out the airfilter box drain hose?
just a thought

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
train460 said:
just a thought but could it have had too much oil in the crankcase and the oil is being blown up into the air filter box and then draining out the airfilter box drain hose?
just a thought

Don't you think THAT MUCH OIL could have caused internal damage already? And if that were the case, the leak would have been only "temporary" as the excesive oil is blown out, not a permanent leak.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Could be the shift shaft seal. Could be the output shaft seal, could be leaking around water pump. I doubt very very seriously if its a broken engine case. I would strip the bodywork off it. Spray it degreaser good and see if you can find where its leaking at. It can't be that hard to find...

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Even the air cooled bikes shouldn't leak oil. If they do, the gasket needs changing.

Did he say how much oil is leaked? The only drains I can think of right now are the airbox drain and a tranny breather. There is probably also a breather hose going from the top of the valve cover to the air box. There's a little mesh filter in the valve cover to keep the oil down. Maybe it's missing? Maybe the oil level is just too high?

Just go see the bike and find out. It could very well be nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts