Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the V-4 is getting finicky. A few times in the past week, it's stalled out after a hearty 15-20 minute drive at ~ 5.5K RPM's. It will not restart at all with choke out, and will ALMOST start, but die again with choke in. If I let it cool for just 30 minutes, she'll start right up and be fine for another 15 minute ride.

The bike has fresh oil, new battery, and proper coolant. It runs right in the middle of the heat range, but could some type of vapor lock/overheating be happening? Or perhaps the heat is affecting the alternator, not allowing it to start? (This is my first bike, I'm a car guy usually, so do these things even have a traditional "alternator"?) Or is it just a simple carb problem that should be taken care of at a shop?

I'd like to do the work myself, but either way, I just want to get a few educated opinions on this little fit it has time and again.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Did this just start happenning, or did you just get the bike this way?

Wait, so if you give it choke, it seems better? That would seem strange, since a warm engine needs less fuel than a cold one. And it should be warm long before 15 minutes, so I'm thinking the problem isn't carbs.

AFAIK, the cooling systems are more or less self bleeding.

Are the battery contacts clean? How about checking for spark when it's cold and again when it's dead, to see if there's a difference (like from failing coils)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem has been there since I got the bike. I like those ideas, I will indeed check for spark the next time this happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts